Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Michael Flynn

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Gathered by NSA and provided to Obama people in the agency, not FBI. They aren't allowed to work domestically. For the NSA to record conversations of citizens they need a FISA court order which would have been filed by obama administration. Heads need to roll.
Were they recording Flynn's conversation or were they recording the Ruskies? If they were recording the Ruskies and happened to hear Flynn, that's normal spy work. If they were recording Flynn, that's an abuse of power and heads should roll.
The law says they're supposed to cease and destroy all communications if a domestic person not covered by a warrant, but apparently, there may be an exemption in the law which is at play here.

My biggest problem right now is that this is very high level intelligence being leaked to the press (with lots of inuendo but very little context, making me think it's mostly crap) by Obama hold overs in what could best be described as a soft coup, IMO. This is a very dangerous game they're playing.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote: Right, they're not supposed to transcribe or identify the party without a warrant. There's no legal path for the FBI or CIA to do what they did.
FWIW, here's the WSJ Op-Ed saying they couldn't do it without a warrant:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/eavesdropp ... 1487031552

...and here's a rebuttal saying they're allowed to do it using an exemption in the law in order to provide contextL

https://www.lawfareblog.com/treatment-f ... procedures

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Obama pushed for FISA warrants in order to destabilize the Trump presidency. The fact that this is all they have speaks to how clean Trump is in this.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

awesome guy wrote:Right, they're not supposed to transcribe or identify the party without a warrant. There's no legal path for the FBI or CIA to do what they did.
Really???

So if I call my drug dealer (who is under surveillance) and tell him that I'm planning to murder a snitch named Bob, at 2:30 PM, with a shotgun, at the book depository, they're not allowed to do anything?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Right, they're not supposed to transcribe or identify the party without a warrant. There's no legal path for the FBI or CIA to do what they did.
Really???

So if I call my drug dealer (who is under surveillance) and tell him that I'm planning to murder a snitch named Bob, at 2:30 PM, with a shotgun, at the book depository, they're not allowed to do anything?
If your drug dealer is in another country, yes...generally speaking. One party is protected by the Constitution, the other is not.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:You pussies can suck a dick. You got your President and your congress. The excrement you **** up is on you and only you.

Dude. Deep breaths. It got me through the last 8 years.
We had a choice between weird and evil, and chose weird.
Best summary yet!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Gathered by NSA and provided to Obama people in the agency, not FBI. They aren't allowed to work domestically. For the NSA to record conversations of citizens they need a FISA court order which would have been filed by obama administration. Heads need to roll.
Were they recording Flynn's conversation or were they recording the Ruskies? If they were recording the Ruskies and happened to hear Flynn, that's normal spy work. If they were recording Flynn, that's an abuse of power and heads should roll.
Actually, if they were recording Russia and picked up an American the had to lock that down, have top officials determine substance, then get a FISA warrant if they wanted to hear any more. Apparently none of that was done. Bottom line -- the US cannot spy on its citizens, and the NSA has no charter to work domestically.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Actually, if they were recording Russia and picked up an American the had to lock that down, have top officials determine substance, then get a FISA warrant if they wanted to hear any more. Apparently none of that was done. Bottom line -- the US cannot spy on its citizens, and the NSA has no charter to work domestically.

What?? The NSA has a Domestic Surveillance Data Warehouse. They have been collecting US data for years and it is extensive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

on non american individuals in america, as others are saying how would they do it on american citizens without a wire tap warrant or something?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

What?? The NSA has a Domestic Surveillance Data Warehouse. They have been collecting US data for years and it is extensive.
They got in trouble for collecting metadata, not even actual conversations. Has to be a non citizen in the US calling out of the US.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:You pussies can suck a dick. You got your President and your congress. The excrement you **** up is on you and only you.

Best summary yet!
I'm calling out you jokers who voted for, and support, this cf.

But his summary was a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HooFighter wrote:
well nothing flynn did was illegal, not ethical to not tell the truth when asked (hillary may know a thing or two about that) but so far not a thing Flynn did was illegal and not sure how he could have been blackmailed for that
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Best summary yet!

calling out for what exactly, he had a guy resign, not sure if you are aware but not all hires work out. The guy lied to his superiors when asked so yes he got canned. HUUGE deal I know, well for the MSM as the Russians are taking over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:
well nothing flynn did was illegal, not ethical to not tell the truth when asked (hillary may know a thing or two about that) but so far not a thing Flynn did was illegal and not sure how he could have been blackmailed for that

At the very least, it's not a good look with what he did and the timing of who he called.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
HooFighter wrote:

At the very least, it's not a good look with what he did and the timing of who he called.
you do realize that these folks in the world do talk quite a bit, this was an ambassador, I am sure he talks to many americans each week. His mess up was not telling his boss what happened. IF you dig thru all the MSM panic over the Russians, you see the folks doing the investigating are saying Flynn did not commit treason or do anything wrong on the call/calls
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

They got in trouble for collecting metadata, not even actual conversations. Has to be a non citizen in the US calling out of the US.
I don't think it's that hard for them to get person to record certain people's calls. Intelligence people have mentioned it on the news, in a matter of fact way.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Best summary yet!

Don't worry ip, you'll get your chance again. Hillary might run for Mayah' of f'in NY.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Best summary yet!

Tom Daschle, Tim Gaither, etc. say hi.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

I guess he needs to find another replacement.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I guess he needs to find another replacement.
oh my gawd, some guy did not want to get involved in the DC bull crap.... shocking

there are other humans on the planet that can do the job, ya know
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
oh my gawd, some guy did not want to get involved in the DC bull crap.... shocking

I don't blame him. Look at the absolute mess 0blahblah has left......NSA.....DOJ......now reports are Ofuknut leftovers at the Pentagon are sabotaging Mattis.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieHam wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

I don't blame him. Look at the absolute mess 0blahblah has left......NSA.....DOJ......now reports are Ofuknut leftovers at the Pentagon are sabotaging Mattis.

We need to get a clock on this messaging point. Obama used the mess left behind by Bush for what, 7.5 years, and conservatives bashed Obama for that line of thinking for about 7 of those 7.5 years. How long is Trump allowed to blame Obama??
Personally, I think you get 18 months to blame prior POTUS on most items (exclude wars, massive policy failures like the ACA). After that, it's mostly all you.

Note: This isn't bashing HokieHam, trying to fix Obama's screw-ups is certainly valid at the time being.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Maybe, maybe not.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:Maybe, maybe not.
Poor hoof, you've got a perfect record of spreading absolute bullshit on this forum.
Trump is really living rent free in your head. He's got you so delirious with rage that you fly like a fat kid to a cupcake for each tinfoil conspiracy theory. All that hate is gonna eat you up.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

This ought to be entertaining.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:This ought to be entertaining.
Just another Hoofighter masturbatory fantasy.

Edit: I realize your comment is still technically correct. Carry on. :mrgreen: