Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Mattis tells NATO free ride is over.

Post by USN_Hokie »

More great stuff.

"No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of the defense of Western values," Mattis told the alliance's 27 other defense ministers, according to a text of his remarks. "Americans cannot care more for your children's future security than you do."

Citing danger from Russia, Mattis told the closed meeting of ministers they must adopt a plan this year that sets dates for governments to meet a military funding goal of 2 percent of gross domestic product. He called the funding increase a "fair demand" based on the "political reality" in Washington, an apparent reference to Trump's past criticism of NATO as "obsolete" and his much-touted "'America First" mantra.

Noting the threat posed by the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, Mattis said: "Some in this alliance have looked away in denial of what is happening."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-chi ... itics.html
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Mattis tells NATO free ride is over.

Post by awesome guy »

Great stuff
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:More great stuff.

"No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of the defense of Western values," Mattis told the alliance's 27 other defense ministers, according to a text of his remarks. "Americans cannot care more for your children's future security than you do."

Citing danger from Russia, Mattis told the closed meeting of ministers they must adopt a plan this year that sets dates for governments to meet a military funding goal of 2 percent of gross domestic product. He called the funding increase a "fair demand" based on the "political reality" in Washington, an apparent reference to Trump's past criticism of NATO as "obsolete" and his much-touted "'America First" mantra.

Noting the threat posed by the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria, Mattis said: "Some in this alliance have looked away in denial of what is happening."

the euro block is a disaster financially, no idea how they can spend more on defense with the euro in as bad a shape as it is, never mind Japan that has still not recovered from the 90's
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Great news! We've helped subsidize NATO members welfare states for decades. It is well nigh time they carry a bit more of the load for their own national defense.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Concur. I read some of the transcript last night. Was getting ready to post about it.
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Yep, footing the bill for them is bad business.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

I'm trying to picture how exactly this went down in their meeting. Do you think he actually handed the "invoice" to her, or did he make Steve Bannon do it?

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I'm trying to picture how exactly this went down in their meeting. Do you think he actually handed the "invoice" to her, or did he make Steve Bannon do it?

Do you think we should pay for the peacetime defense of foreign, 1st world countries?
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

1. To an extent, yes. European security is important to the US, but it is a two way street. That wasn't really the point though.
2. I'd find a better way of communicating it than handing an "invoice" to the leader of Germany.

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
fatman

Post by fatman »

Trump's actions speak louder than his words, none of this blister is credible. If he were credible, he'd have cut us did spending and pulled back on us bases in Europe.

Trump's actions indicate that he is not serious about any of this. See all the expansion in us dod spending. What trump really said was "keep your checkbook in your pants, the us will pay for all this. "
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HooFighter wrote:I'm trying to picture how exactly this went down in their meeting. Do you think he actually handed the "invoice" to her, or did he make Steve Bannon do it?

Bush league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Like a "reset" button that actually had the Russian word overcharged on it?
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Bush league.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Like a "reset" button that actually had the Russian word overcharged on it?
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Bush league.

I call BS on this. The invoice wouldn't be in pounds, it would be in euros.
HooFighter

Post by HooFighter »

133743Hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Like a "reset" button that actually had the Russian word overcharged on it?
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Bush league.

I call BS on this. The invoice wouldn't be in pounds, it would be in euros.
In a British newspaper they would likely convert it to pounds.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HooFighter wrote:1. To an extent, yes. European security is important to the US, but it is a two way street. That wasn't really the point though.
2. I'd find a better way of communicating it than handing an "invoice" to the leader of Germany.
Sure it was the point.

I think it's hilarious that the party who thought "we gonna fix errrrerything" with a speech and unicorn farts for 8 years is suddenly taken aback at Trump making a symbolic gesture.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

fatman wrote: Trump's actions indicate that he is not serious about any of this.
Tillerson Delivers NATO Allies a Familiar Message: Pay Up
By GARDINER HARRISMARCH 31, 2017

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/31/worl ... -nato.html
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

fatman wrote:Trump's actions speak louder than his words, none of this blister is credible. If he were credible, he'd have cut us did spending and pulled back on us bases in Europe.

Trump's actions indicate that he is not serious about any of this. See all the expansion in us dod spending. What trump really said was "keep your checkbook in your pants, the us will pay for all this. "

"Juncker FINALLY urges EU members to boost defence spending after pressure from Trump"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/815 ... ump-brexit