Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
oaktonhokie

This is surprising, our president was "wrong" about his

Post by oaktonhokie »

relationship with his bum uncle.

Can we believe ANYTHING from this pos?

And why doesn't our president redistribute some of his wealth to his poor relations?

Answer: because it's HIS wealth, not ours.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/1 ... story.html
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: This is surprising, our president was "wrong" about his

Post by BigDave »

oaktonhokie wrote:relationship with his bum uncle.

And why doesn't our president redistribute some of his wealth to his poor relations?

"On Thursday, a White House official said the press office had not fully researched the relationship between the president and his uncle before telling the Globe that they had no record of the two meeting. This time, the press office asked the president directly, which they had not done in 2011."

I don't even know which is worse - did they intentionally lie about it two years ago or did it just not occur to anyone to ask President Obama if he met his uncle rather than simply reporting that he did not?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

We all know he lied. They are just setting up his plausible deniability. I'm sure he lied and never thought the truth would come up. Can he tell the truth about anything?
BigDave wrote:

"On Thursday, a White House official said the press office had not fully researched the relationship between the president and his uncle before telling the Globe that they had no record of the two meeting. This time, the press office asked the president directly, which they had not done in 2011."

I don't even know which is worse - did they intentionally lie about it two years ago or did it just not occur to anyone to ask President Obama if he met his uncle rather than simply reporting that he did not?
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:We all know he lied. They are just setting up his plausible deniability. I'm sure he lied and never thought the truth would come up. Can he tell the truth about anything?
+∞

One of my biggest pet peeves with the POTUS is the infuriating refusal to tell the truth even in re to the most minor of things...hellsbells I don't care if he has or hasn't met his uncle, jeez I never met his uncle either.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

I agree Major Kong. To me it shows a very serious character flaw.
Major Kong wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:We all know he lied. They are just setting up his plausible deniability. I'm sure he lied and never thought the truth would come up. Can he tell the truth about anything?
+∞

One of my biggest pet peeves with the POTUS is the infuriating refusal to tell the truth even in re to the most minor of things...hellsbells I don't care if he has or hasn't met his uncle, jeez I never met his uncle either.
Once

Post by Once »

Female here: I'm keeping a mental list of things he's done or failed to do that really cheeze me off. Lying about the ridiculous and inconsequential is on there.
Major Kong wrote:
+∞

One4VT

Post by One4VT »

His first instinct is to lie..... domestically, it is what it is... our Foreign Policy is what concerns me... our allies can't trust us anymore.... setting up some really scary scenarios.

Don't "Sub-Forum" my Thread Bro!
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:Female here: I'm keeping a mental list of things he's done or failed to do that really cheeze me off. Lying about the ridiculous and inconsequential is on there.
Major Kong wrote:
+∞

Like Velveeta cheesed off or Havarti?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:Like Velveeta cheesed off or Havarti?
Limburger! :)

Once

Post by Once »

More like Velveeta. You eat it as a kid thinking its actual food, then you read the package for the first time, realize you've been duped, and that the brick-shaped garbage in the bizarrely robust foil is actually not strictly cheese, but cheez - a "cheese food product". It's okay if you knew what you were getting when you decided to eat it, but passing it off as cheese is the lying lie that a liar tells.

Obama - Benghazi, GITMO, the IRS, the NSA, the ACA - if we suspend disbelief for a minute and trust his assertion that he "didn't know", then why hasn't anyone been fired? Even the few people who are gone have been allowed to retire or resign to save face and reputation nominally. If he truly didn't know (which by the way makes him incompetent - a lesser offense in my mind when compared with outright lying, targeting, and spying on citizens, but still unacceptable for a POTUS), why didn't heads roll spectacularly?

Mostly that relates to the IRS, NSA, and ACA - Benghazi is a bit of a different circumstance in that the attack itself isn't his fault, but the lack of security and possible cover up is a huge problem for me, and GITMO, which is still in operation with 160 some odd prisoners who we don't know what they've done because only a handful of the ones still there have charges brought against them. We've been holding people for more than a decade. If they deserve to be there, charge them and prosecute them. If not, send them home because now, it's looking like a huge human rights violation. It, in my opinion, gives other countries an engraved embossed invitation to treat our citizens in the same manner.

He needs to go and Republicans need to stop running candidates like "the guy <Romney> who couldn't even manage to beat the guy <McCain> who couldn't even manage to beat they guy who won in 2008" if they want to compete.
Major Kong wrote:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:More like Velveeta. You eat it as a kid thinking its actual food, then you read the package for the first time, realize you've been duped, and that the brick-shaped garbage in the bizarrely robust foil is actually not strictly cheese, but cheez - a "cheese food product". It's okay if you knew what you were getting when you decided to eat it, but passing it off as cheese is the lying lie that a liar tells.

Obama - Benghazi, GITMO, the IRS, the NSA, the ACA - if we suspend disbelief for a minute and trust his assertion that he "didn't know", then why hasn't anyone been fired? Even the few people who are gone have been allowed to retire or resign to save face and reputation nominally. If he truly didn't know (which by the way makes him incompetent - a lesser offense in my mind when compared with outright lying, targeting, and spying on citizens, but still unacceptable for a POTUS), why didn't heads roll spectacularly?

Mostly that relates to the IRS, NSA, and ACA - Benghazi is a bit of a different circumstance in that the attack itself isn't his fault, but the lack of security and possible cover up is a huge problem for me, and GITMO, which is still in operation with 160 some odd prisoners who we don't know what they've done because only a handful of the ones still there have charges brought against them. We've been holding people for more than a decade. If they deserve to be there, charge them and prosecute them. If not, send them home because now, it's looking like a huge human rights violation. It, in my opinion, gives other countries an engraved embossed invitation to treat our citizens in the same manner.

He needs to go and Republicans need to stop running candidates like "the guy <Romney> who couldn't even manage to beat the guy <McCain> who couldn't even manage to beat they guy who won in 2008" if they want to compete.
Major Kong wrote:
A block of Velveeta and a jar of Pace Picantee make a mean chip dip. Even if I'm being duped, it's still gooderly. Even pyrite shines.
Once

Post by Once »

The point is if you have been informed that something is utter crap and still embrace it, at least you knew that going in. You aren't duped. I don't really care if people eat the orange brick.
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:More like Velveeta. You eat it as a kid thinking its actual food, then you read the package for the first time, realize you've been duped, and that the brick-shaped garbage in the bizarrely robust foil is actually not strictly cheese, but cheez - a "cheese food product". It's okay if you knew what you were getting when you decided to eat it, but passing it off as cheese is the lying lie that a liar tells.

Major Kong wrote:
A block of Velveeta and a jar of Pace Picantee make a mean chip dip. Even if I'm being duped, it's still gooderly. Even pyrite shines.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:The point is if you have been informed that something is utter crap and still embrace it, at least you knew that going in. You aren't duped. I don't really care if people eat the orange brick.
awesome guy wrote:

Major Kong wrote:
Define crap please. Is it being synthetic and requiring a PhD in Chemistry to manufacture? Or is it tasting like a shoe? While Velveeta is likely a chemical nerve agent it's also cheesy smooth goodness.

This is more philosophical arguments. I noticed you don't like stuff that you think of as canned, like the Olive Garden. Is coming from the can what offends you or the actual taste? Just curious, I prefer "real food" too, but also aren't repulsed by stuff coming out the end of someone's chemical experiment.
Once

Post by Once »

The word "crap" was a general reference to all things misrepresented (not necessarily Velveeta or even food period). That's why I used the words "something" and "embrace" instead of "food" and "eat". It was more of statement saying, "just tell me the truth so I know what I'm dealing with and can decide for myself", etc.

My attempts to eat more fresh than canned has nothing to do with any uber crunchy California hippyish stuff. About 4 years ago, I got very sick and ended up in the ER with a virus that was doing a number on me (likely contracted during travel, but we still don't know). I ignored feeling bad too long, was getting into the super thin range for someone my height (5'7", 84 pounds), couldn't stop losing weight, was going into liver and kidney failure, had developed a heart murmur, and was facing transplant. It took 18 months of pumping me full of insanely high amounts of prescription vitamins, doctors visits every 2 weeks, being put on a transplant list, and a lot of waiting and worrying). I began to get better, was removed from the list because I was no longer sick enough to be a member of that horrible club, and told myself that I'd do my part to try to live with the organs I have for as long as I could (remember they process everything that goes in your mouth). To that end, I never drink alcohol, I eat fresh when it's available, avoid preservatives (canned stuff) when possible, and try to make the right eating decision 80 percent of the time. I don't want to live a monastic lifestyle, but if there are things I can do within my budget and given the amount of time, I try to do them. That is not to say I don't eat a hamburger or hit Del Taco sometimes, because I do. It's just that I don't waste my 20 percent worth of bad decisions on stuff I don't like.
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:The point is if you have been informed that something is utter crap and still embrace it, at least you knew that going in. You aren't duped. I don't really care if people eat the orange brick.
awesome guy wrote:A block of Velveeta and a jar of Pace Picantee make a mean chip dip. Even if I'm being duped, it's still gooderly. Even pyrite shines.
Define crap please. Is it being synthetic and requiring a PhD in Chemistry to manufacture? Or is it tasting like a shoe? While Velveeta is likely a chemical nerve agent it's also cheesy smooth goodness.

This is more philosophical arguments. I noticed you don't like stuff that you think of as canned, like the Olive Garden. Is coming from the can what offends you or the actual taste? Just curious, I prefer "real food" too, but also aren't repulsed by stuff coming out the end of someone's chemical experiment.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Once wrote:The word "crap" was a general reference to all things misrepresented (not necessarily Velveeta or even food period). That's why I used the words "something" and "embrace" instead of "food" and "eat". It was more of statement saying, "just tell me the truth so I know what I'm dealing with and can decide for myself", etc.

My attempts to eat more fresh than canned has nothing to do with any uber crunchy California hippyish stuff. About 4 years ago, I got very sick and ended up in the ER with a virus that was doing a number on me (likely contracted during travel, but we still don't know). I ignored feeling bad too long, was getting into the super thin range for someone my height (5'7", 84 pounds), couldn't stop losing weight, was going into liver and kidney failure, had developed a heart murmur, and was facing transplant. It took 18 months of pumping me full of insanely high amounts of prescription vitamins, doctors visits every 2 weeks, being put on a transplant list, and a lot of waiting and worrying). I began to get better, was removed from the list because I was no longer sick enough to be a member of that horrible club, and told myself that I'd do my part to try to live with the organs I have for as long as I could (remember they process everything that goes in your mouth). To that end, I never drink alcohol, I eat fresh when it's available, avoid preservatives (canned stuff) when possible, and try to make the right eating decision 80 percent of the time. I don't want to live a monastic lifestyle, but if there are things I can do within my budget and given the amount of time, I try to do them. That is not to say I don't eat a hamburger or hit Del Taco sometimes, because I do. It's just that I don't waste my 20 percent worth of bad decisions on stuff I don't like.
awesome guy wrote:
awesome guy wrote:A block of Velveeta and a jar of Pace Picantee make a mean chip dip. Even if I'm being duped, it's still gooderly. Even pyrite shines.

WOW, I had no idea. I understand the avoidance and glad you made it through that ordeal. Sounds like a miraculous recovery. Think there was any define intervention?

If you want to eat like a hippy without the extra cost, pick up fishing! I'm eating fish that sell for $15-$20/pound for the cost of a box of frozen squid. I may actually be finally net positive on my 4-10k of fishing equipment in the garage. Well, not even close, but it's a good enough story to justify keeping all these tools for providing!
Once

Post by Once »

Thank you and yes, I believe God's hands guided my recovery, and I'm grateful that I had a lot of people praying for me (including 5150 and his church). There are a lot of wonderful Christians out there who hit their knees for me (some Jewish and Muslims too).

I think I told you once here about SD's employee the deep sea fisherman who supplies us with fresh tuna all the time. We eat a lot of free tuna. I also occasionally get a hundred or two pounds of shrimp from my family (depends on if they have a truck coming this way), but that presents a storage problem. I usually give most of that away after having a boil party.
awesome guy wrote:
Once wrote:The word "crap" was a general reference to all things misrepresented (not necessarily Velveeta or even food period). That's why I used the words "something" and "embrace" instead of "food" and "eat". It was more of statement saying, "just tell me the truth so I know what I'm dealing with and can decide for myself", etc.

awesome guy wrote:

WOW, I had no idea. I understand the avoidance and glad you made it through that ordeal. Sounds like a miraculous recovery. Think there was any define intervention?

If you want to eat like a hippy without the extra cost, pick up fishing! I'm eating fish that sell for $15-$20/pound for the cost of a box of frozen squid. I may actually be finally net positive on my 4-10k of fishing equipment in the garage. Well, not even close, but it's a good enough story to justify keeping all these tools for providing!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:Thank you and yes, I believe God's hands guided my recovery, and I'm grateful that I had a lot of people praying for me (including 5150 and his church). There are a lot of wonderful Christians out there who hit their knees for me (some Jewish and Muslims too).

I think I told you once here about SD's employee the deep sea fisherman who supplies us with fresh tuna all the time. We eat a lot of free tuna. I also occasionally get a hundred or two pounds of shrimp from my family (depends on if they have a truck coming this way), but that presents a storage problem. I usually give most of that away after having a boil party.
Once Gump? :P :mrgreen:

Once

Post by Once »

You should see me peel.... I'm lightning!
Major Kong wrote:
Once wrote:Thank you and yes, I believe God's hands guided my recovery, and I'm grateful that I had a lot of people praying for me (including 5150 and his church). There are a lot of wonderful Christians out there who hit their knees for me (some Jewish and Muslims too).

Once Gump? :P :mrgreen:
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Once wrote:You should see me peel.... I'm lightning!
But how good are you at deveining? :D

Once

Post by Once »

I'm impressive. I'm a pretty good oyster shucker too if I'm allowed to use the arch of my foot (in a heavy duty boot of course) along with the hand and knife. My technique isn't pretty, but it gets the job done.
Major Kong wrote:
Once wrote:You should see me peel.... I'm lightning!
But how good are you at deveining? :D
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

awesome guy wrote:

awesome guy wrote:

Second once gump!

I'll take all the gulf shrimp you don't want. That stuff is gold to me.