any of you guys every changed the water pump on an outboard?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

any of you guys every changed the water pump on an outboard?

Post by awesome guy »

Looks easy on YouTube, I'm a little nervous though about going into the lower unit.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Re: any of you guys every changed the water pump on an outbo

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Looks easy on YouTube, I'm a little nervous though about going into the lower unit.
no, my 1993 johnson 150 has been a good motor, couple of electrical issues with the power box but plug and play on those repairs. Starter failed to engage last week when I went to wylie after work, had to be towed about a mile to get back to the ramp. Put the new starter in yesterday, same problem. So I guess it was the $35 solenoid and not the $170 starter, hoping the solenoid showing up this week is the fix, otherwise it is drag it to the shop and hope they fix it before the summer is over
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Looks easy on YouTube, I'm a little nervous though about going into the lower unit.
no, my 1993 johnson 150 has been a good motor, couple of electrical issues with the power box but plug and play on those repairs. Starter failed to engage last week when I went to wylie after work, had to be towed about a mile to get back to the ramp. Put the new starter in yesterday, same problem. So I guess it was the $35 solenoid and not the $170 starter, hoping the solenoid showing up this week is the fix, otherwise it is drag it to the shop and hope they fix it before the summer is over

dang man, you're supposed to change the impeller every 1-2 years. I got this boat used and aren't sure when it was serviced, so am doing it to be safe. I'd change it out if you never have.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

dang man, you're supposed to change the impeller every 1-2 years. I got this boat used and aren't sure when it was serviced, so am doing it to be safe. I'd change it out if you never have.
its only in fresh water and never had any issues with the water pressure, just wait for it to have an issue
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

its only in fresh water and never had any issues with the water pressure, just wait for it to have an issue
Shouldn't matter if it's salt or fresh. I'd at least change the lower unit oil. If it's milky, you've got a leak.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Shouldn't matter if it's salt or fresh. I'd at least change the lower unit oil. If it's milky, you've got a leak.
I change the lower unit oil every year and throw in new spark plugs every year and take the hubs off and replace the hub grease