So the Pittsburgh mayor issued his own executive order...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

So the Pittsburgh mayor issued his own executive order...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

...he wants to honor the Paris agreement. But there's a funny thing in his EO - he doesn't say HOW he and 80 other cities will do this. That's odd, because the only thing governments can really do is raise taxes and increase regulations. I wonder why he doesn't say this is what he means?

================================
Peduto announces executive order on climate change
Adam Smeltz
10:43 AM
Jun 2, 2017

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto issued an executive order Friday aimed at slowing climate change, fulfilling his promise made Thursday after President Donald Trump announced the U.S. would withdraw from the Paris climate agreement.

“For decades, Pittsburgh has been rebuilding its economy based on hopes for our people and our future, not on outdated fantasies about our past,” Mr. Peduto said in a statement. “The city and its many partners will continue to do the same, despite the president’s imprudent announcements yesterday.”

Mr. Peduto previewed the local order Thursday shortly after Mr. Trump mentioned Pittsburgh in his White House announcement. The mayor said he took personal offense to the reference, in which the president said he “was elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris.”

The executive order commits Pittsburgh to work with 81 other cities to “undertake additional actions to meet the 1.5 degrees Celsius target,” the Peduto administration said in a news release. The Paris accord angles to keep “a global temperature rise well below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius,” according to a United Nations website.

Further, Mr. Peduto’s order calls for the city to keep working on established climate goals for the year 2030, including complete dependence on renewable electricity for municipal operations. The document also urges energy efficiency standards for buildings, renewable energy sources for transportation, and other objectives.

Mr. Peduto has said Pittsburgh, like other U.S. cities, will uphold the principles of the climate accord. The full text of his order appears on the city website.

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayorpedut ... 17_(1).pdf

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/ ... 1706020174

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: So the Pittsburgh mayor issued his own executive order..

Post by nolanvt »

He's right about Pittsburgh's evolution. It's not the Steel Town it was decades ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

nolanvt wrote:He's right about Pittsburgh's evolution. It's not the Steel Town it was decades ago.

There's still 10,000 related steel jobs in Pittsburgh with several active foundries, production plants, finishing plants, mills and secondary facilities.

The air in Pittsburgh wasn't cleaned up by a non binding, non codified and non regulation agreement...plus gubments don't install pollution control equipment that's done by private businesses and industry.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

So. Pitt will now send billions to other countries/. Yay, adherence!!!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Major Kong wrote:
nolanvt wrote:He's right about Pittsburgh's evolution. It's not the Steel Town it was decades ago.

There's still 10,000 related steel jobs in Pittsburgh with several active foundries, production plants, finishing plants, mills and secondary facilities.

The air in Pittsburgh wasn't cleaned up by a non binding, non codified and non regulation agreement...plus gubments don't install pollution control equipment that's done by private businesses and industry.
Steel is still (to steal a pun?) a part of Pittsburgh, but it's evident that the city is evolving (e.g. Tech is growing here).

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

More here on Pittsburgh's transformation.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/u ... cebook.com