Pregnant teen banned from graduation

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Pregnant teen banned from graduation

Post by nolanvt »

A lot of things to think about here. While they're legally allowed to do this since it's a private Christian school, I wonder if this type of treatment is practical? For example, seeing how this girl was treated, will that encourage other girls at Christian schools to go against their faith and get secret abortions?

http://www.lifenews.com/2017/06/01/preg ... liated-me/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Pregnant teen banned from graduation

Post by USN_Hokie »

There should be social pressure on schoolgirls to not get knocked up.

There used to be a time (a time when out of wedlock births were nil) when parents would not only pull their kids out of school, but send them off somewhere else to have the baby.

Today, pregnant teenagers get their own TV shows. It's gross.

I don't get your point - are you trying to say that women will murder their unborn children so they can go to a graduation ceremony?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:There should be social pressure on schoolgirls to not get knocked up.

There used to be a time (a time when out of wedlock births were nil) when parents would not only pull their kids out of school, but send them off somewhere else to have the baby.

I don't get your point - are you trying to say that women will murder their unborn children so they can go to a graduation ceremony?

Nolan is looking for a way to slam them without blowing up his private vs. public nonsensical distinction determining who can do as they please and who goes to reeducation camp.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:There should be social pressure on schoolgirls to not get knocked up.

You're doing the USN thing where you assign positions to people that they haven't taken.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

You're doing the USN thing where you assign positions to people that they haven't taken.

1. States "position" with question marks.
2. Gets upset when people interpret those positions.

You're doing the nolan thing where you attempt to generate a squishy position that you can run away from ("lol...trolling guys!"), and then attempt to do so when presented with how dumb it is.

But please, tell me more about how not letting knocked up teenagers go to a graduation ceremony will increase abortions. I'm genuinely interested in your thesis.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:A lot of things to think about here. While they're legally allowed to do this since it's a private Christian school, I wonder if this type of treatment is practical? For example, seeing how this girl was treated, will that encourage other girls at Christian schools to go against their faith and get secret abortions?

So you don't think this is practical, but you're not sure about no-whites-allowed graduation ceremonies? Okay.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:A lot of things to think about here. While they're legally allowed to do this since it's a private Christian school, I wonder if this type of treatment is practical? For example, seeing how this girl was treated, will that encourage other girls at Christian schools to go against their faith and get secret abortions?

So you don't think this is practical, but you're not sure about no-whites-allowed graduation ceremonies? Okay.
Nolan's bad day is just getting started. Bill Maher dropped an N-bomb on his show last night and now snowflakes are accumulating.

http://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-respo ... house-n-a/
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

You're doing the nolan thing where you attempt to generate a squishy position that you can run away from ("lol...trolling guys!"), and then attempt to do so when presented with how dumb it is.

But please, tell me more about how not letting knocked up teenagers go to a graduation ceremony will increase abortions. I'm genuinely interested in your thesis.
No position was stated. A question was asked because there are complex variables involved that could result in individuals having moral predicaments.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

No position was stated by me.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Nolan's bad day is just getting started. Bill Maher dropped an N-bomb on his show last night and now snowflakes are accumulating.

http://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-respo ... house-n-a/
Why would I be having a bad day because of something Bill Maher said?

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

No position was stated. A question was asked because there are complex variables involved that could result in individuals having moral predicaments.

Got it. You're the guy who comments on a political message board but never has an opinion on anything.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Got it. You're the guy who comments on a political message board but never has an opinion on anything.
I have plenty of thoughts and positions. This particular case is complicated and don't think there's an easy solution without potentially facing unintended consequences down the road.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Well should be easy for you since you are always "generally for" private companies/organizations doing as they please.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Well should be easy for you since you are always "generally for" private companies/organizations doing as they please.
I already stated that the private school has a legal right to do what they did.

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Right. It's like a comedienne making an offensive photograph. It's perfectly legal for her to do what she did. Plenty of comics have her back, and many of them are upset she apologized for it. But as she's learned this week, it probably wasn't the prudent/expedient thing to do.

Bottom line is, you have to learn to pick your battles. You don't have to harp on EVERY LITTLE THING. Would it really have been a big deal to let this girl graduate? Probably not. She's only 5 months along. If she's showing anything, it's likely a tiny bump. They could have let it go and nobody would have been the wiser.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Hokie CPA wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Right. It's like a comedienne making an offensive photograph. It's perfectly legal for her to do what she did. Plenty of comics have her back, and many of them are upset she apologized for it. But as she's learned this week, it probably wasn't the prudent/expedient thing to do.

Bottom line is, you have to learn to pick your battles. You don't have to harp on EVERY LITTLE THING. Would it really have been a big deal to let this girl graduate? Probably not. She's only 5 months along. If she's showing anything, it's likely a tiny bump. They could have let it go and nobody would have been the wiser.
Disagree 100%..when you compromise your integrity- you have nothing. In this case a christian school with clear and signed celibate agreements and let's a pregnant girl graduate? They are total frauds at that point. Not that I agree with them- but they MUST maintain their integrity. Would be the same scenario if West Point allowed someone to graduate that "Lied cheated or stole or tolerated others that do".. If it was a "small lie", and nobody would have known, etc. NOPE.. they would never do that and compromise their code.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote: Disagree 100%..when you compromise your integrity- you have nothing. In this case a christian school with clear and signed celibate agreements and let's a pregnant girl graduate? They are total frauds at that point. Not that I agree with them- but they MUST maintain their integrity. Would be the same scenario if West Point allowed someone to graduate that "Lied cheated or stole or tolerated others that do".. If it was a "small lie", and nobody would have known, etc. NOPE.. they would never do that and compromise their code.
Amen. This. They are called standards for a reason.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote: Disagree 100%..when you compromise your integrity- you have nothing. In this case a christian school with clear and signed celibate agreements and let's a pregnant girl graduate? They are total frauds at that point. Not that I agree with them- but they MUST maintain their integrity. Would be the same scenario if West Point allowed someone to graduate that "Lied cheated or stole or tolerated others that do".. If it was a "small lie", and nobody would have known, etc. NOPE.. they would never do that and compromise their code.
I can see that. Obviously the school feels this is a battle worth fighting. That's their prerogative. That being the case, the student should've known better than to violate her chastity vow without taking proper precautions.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Hokie CPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
I can see that. Obviously the school feels this is a battle worth fighting. That's their prerogative. That being the case, the student should've known better than to violate her chastity vow without taking proper precautions.
Well it is not a "battle"- in this case that would be THE battle and a HUGE issue- thus my military academy lying example- its not a nit pick, it is a huge deal.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
It's the pickle standards put you in. Let them slide, even if pragmatic and reasonable, then they're squishy and hypocritical. Don't have standards and anything goes. People stink.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
It's the pickle standards put you in. Let them slide, even if pragmatic and reasonable, then they're squishy and hypocritical. Don't have standards and anything goes. People stink.
Yep. My favorite scene in Master and Commander is the one where the junior officer tells a sailor he will be lashed for doing something (don't remember what). The CO tells him that's not an appropriate punishment in private, but enforces the flogging publicly.

He had to do it or the sailors wouldn't respect their leadership. The same rule is at play here - if you ignore them once they will fall apart.

Another analogy might be HOA rules......
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

OK after reading the article this is my take:

Daddy couldn't sway the board and I have to follow the rules.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.