Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Millennials are basically heroes

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: As for eggs, there's a big difference between eggs labeled farm-fresh and plain store bought eggs.
Do they have a giant chicken coop in NYC? :mrgreen:
NJ has some of the most fertile land for growing crops and running a farm as anywhere on the east cost.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: We get them every now and then, and try to make two them over the weekend.
Who is the lucky guy? :mrgreen:
Awesome guy.
Sorry bud, I don't need your diarrhetic/ colon blow food. Maybe next time. I have a freezer full of rockfish anyway.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

If you guys had wives in traditional relationships you wouldn't need boxes of shrink wrapped food shipped to your door.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: As for eggs, there's a big difference between eggs labeled farm-fresh and plain store bought eggs.

Close enough to it. I'm sure there are plenty of good chicken farmers in upstate NY.
Last edited by HokieFanDC on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:If you guys had wives in traditional relationships you wouldn't need boxes of shrink wrapped food shipped to your door.
Got it.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Close enough to it. I'm sure there are plenty of good chicken farmers in upstate NY.
You can eat the loser of the Puerto Rican cock fight in Brooklyn.
miles

Post by miles »

USN_Hokie wrote:If you guys had wives in traditional relationships you wouldn't need boxes of shrink wrapped food shipped to your door.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bar Towel!
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

I'm sorry that the thought of cooking makes you feel inadequate.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
I'm actually a very good cook since you asked. Everyone tries to invite themselves to our house for Thanksgiving. Like I said to IP, I'm jealous that he has so many food options so close. Instead, he buys shrink wrapped food from New Jersey. :mrgreen:
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

You people are too uptight. All that blue apron and cheap wine must be impacted in your colons. Lighten up. :mrgreen:
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
You guys are too incompetent to shop for your meal
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
My mother did not teach me to cook. I've actually learned a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I think lots of people learn bad cooking from their moms. My MIL is a terrible cook and I thank my wife all the time that she didn't learn anything from her.

My mom wasn't much of a cook either.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

HokieFanDC wrote:
PolyTech wrote:What's heroic about not going to Applebee's? Saying stuff like that is why people call millenials retarded.
USN_Hokie wrote:1. Blue apron is garbage.
Correct. Never ordered it; saw a Blue Apron 'meal' over at a buddy's place. It was Huevos Rancheros for dinner. Not shirting you, that 'meal' for two included two whole eggs. Eggs are what, like less than 10 cents apiece? And they were labeled "Farm Eggs". WhereTF else would an egg come from but a farm? I think that 'meal' was like $20.
We used Blue Apron for 6 months. Most of the meals tasted great and were a good mix of proteins, veggies, and grains. We really liked it because a lot of the recipes used ingredients we don't usually use or have around. We stopped because it was a subscription service and if you have a really busy week, it's hard to find time to make all the meals. And there is a lot of chopping and prep, so it's not something you can put together in 20 minutes.

As for eggs, there's a big difference between eggs labeled farm-fresh and plain store bought eggs.

Re-read my note, I was very specific and actually used the quotation marks properly. The eggs did NOT say "Farm Fresh Eggs", they said "Farm Eggs", which I thought was noteworthy in its incompleteness. I've had very good fresh eggs, and while I usually (but not always) can't tell the difference, these were labelled oddly, and I'd assume, properly.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I think lots of people learn bad cooking from their moms. My MIL is a terrible cook and I thank my wife all the time that she didn't learn anything from her.
My wife can't boil water. She calls anything not packaged "gourmet".
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

USN_Hokie wrote:You people are too uptight. All that blue apron and cheap wine must be impacted in your colons. Lighten up. :mrgreen:
You're on fire today!
#JusticeForNolan
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:You people are too uptight. All that blue apron and cheap wine must be impacted in your colons. Lighten up. :mrgreen:
it's good wine.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:As for eggs, there's a big difference between eggs labeled farm-fresh and plain store bought eggs.
Ayup...on average about $4-fiddy. :D

I guess that's one good thing of living the rural life...farm fresh everything is fairly accessible. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:As for eggs, there's a big difference between eggs labeled farm-fresh and plain store bought eggs.

I guess that's one good thing of living the rural life...farm fresh everything is fairly accessible. :mrgreen:
My friends practically give them away. Too much production.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

My friends practically give them away. Too much production.
We have 6 quail. I prefer chicken eggs, but they're easier to manage.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:it's good wine.
I'm not a big wine drinker but I do cook with it. I'm fond of Chateau Morrisette's Red Mountain Laurel and their Merlot. "Local" winery in Meadows of the Dan.

When I was living in AZ I discovered Concha y Toro Frontera...sold at Costco...good stuff. :)

Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

awesome guy wrote:My friends practically give them away. Too much production.
My Niece's step son works at Dutt & Wagner in Abingdon. :mrgreen:

ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech

Post by ElbertoHokie »

PolyTech wrote:What's heroic about not going to Applebee's? Saying stuff like that is why people call millenials retarded.
Correct. Never ordered it; saw a Blue Apron 'meal' over at a buddy's place. It was Huevos Rancheros for dinner. Not shirting you, that 'meal' for two included two whole eggs. Eggs are what, like less than 10 cents apiece? And they were labeled "Farm Eggs". WhereTF else would an egg come from but a farm? I think that 'meal' was like $20.
I will defend this simple fact, if you're only trying to feed two people, it's tough to go out and buy fresh ingredients for a home cooked meal with 6-8 ingredients for under $20. Now I know you can buy in bulk and get it for cheaper, but for perishable food items, you end up throwing away that money when you don't eat all of the ingredient. When both people work, I can see why people do it. It takes away the effort to have to figure out and match what ingredients you already have and the shopping aspect.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
I will defend this simple fact, if you're only trying to feed two people, it's tough to go out and buy fresh ingredients for a home cooked meal with 6-8 ingredients for under $20. Now I know you can buy in bulk and get it for cheaper, but for perishable food items, you end up throwing away that money when you don't eat all of the ingredient. When both people work, I can see why people do it. It takes away the effort to have to figure out and match what ingredients you already have and the shopping aspect.
You prioritize the things you want. Mrs. Poly and I have no problem whatsoever putting together completely home-cooked meals (i.e., no convenience products). We don't do it all the time, but we do it frequently (2-3 times during the workweek).

I chose the Blue Apron Huevos Rancheros example because it struck me as a very bad deal. If you can't put together Huevos Rancheros for significantly under $20 doing it yourself, I don't know what to tell you. Especially as that box included a full $0.20 worth of protein there.

I'll be the first to say that if you want to do Blue Apron, knock yourself out. I suppose it saves you from having to think up something for dinner. But if you bother to put in even the most minimal effort, its value then becomes even more questionable. Perhaps you value not having to think of something for dinner or stopping on the way from work or even the most minimal planning more than that $10 you'd save from dinner. Like I said, it's your choice.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
You prioritize the things you want. Mrs. Poly and I have no problem whatsoever putting together completely home-cooked meals (i.e., no convenience products). We don't do it all the time, but we do it frequently (2-3 times during the workweek).

I chose the Blue Apron Huevos Rancheros example because it struck me as a very bad deal. If you can't put together Huevos Rancheros for significantly under $20 doing it yourself, I don't know what to tell you. Especially as that box included a full $0.20 worth of protein there.

I'll be the first to say that if you want to do Blue Apron, knock yourself out. I suppose it saves you from having to think up something for dinner. But if you bother to put in even the most minimal effort, its value then becomes even more questionable. Perhaps you value not having to think of something for dinner or stopping on the way from work or even the most minimal planning more than that $10 you'd save from dinner. Like I said, it's your choice.
Fractions may get him. "This recipe serves 2, that's 1 too many!". Ummm, cut it in half or eat the rest tomorrow.