Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Millennials are basically heroes

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:
PolyTech wrote:What's heroic about not going to Applebee's? Saying stuff like that is why people call millenials retarded.
USN_Hokie wrote:1. Blue apron is garbage.
Correct. Never ordered it; saw a Blue Apron 'meal' over at a buddy's place. It was Huevos Rancheros for dinner. Not shirting you, that 'meal' for two included two whole eggs. Eggs are what, like less than 10 cents apiece? And they were labeled "Farm Eggs". WhereTF else would an egg come from but a farm? I think that 'meal' was like $20.
I will defend this simple fact, if you're only trying to feed two people, it's tough to go out and buy fresh ingredients for a home cooked meal with 6-8 ingredients for under $20. Now I know you can buy in bulk and get it for cheaper, but for perishable food items, you end up throwing away that money when you don't eat all of the ingredient. When both people work, I can see why people do it. It takes away the effort to have to figure out and match what ingredients you already have and the shopping aspect.
You prioritize the things you want. Mrs. Poly and I have no problem whatsoever putting together completely home-cooked meals (i.e., no convenience products). We don't do it all the time, but we do it frequently (2-3 times during the workweek).

I chose the Blue Apron Huevos Rancheros example because it struck me as a very bad deal. If you can't put together Huevos Rancheros for significantly under $20 doing it yourself, I don't know what to tell you. Especially as that box included a full $0.20 worth of protein there.

I'll be the first to say that if you want to do Blue Apron, knock yourself out. I suppose it saves you from having to think up something for dinner. But if you bother to put in even the most minimal effort, its value then becomes even more questionable. Perhaps you value not having to think of something for dinner or stopping on the way from work or even the most minimal planning more than that $10 you'd save from dinner. Like I said, it's your choice.
I'm seriously surprised at this lack of planning ability/resolve. Seems like they're just mailing in key parts of life. No sense of adventure in doing something new or without a kit, it's paint by numbers as adults.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:it's good wine.
I'm not a big wine drinker but I do cook with it. I'm fond of Chateau Morrisette's Red Mountain Laurel and their Merlot. "Local" winery in Meadows of the Dan.

When I was living in AZ I discovered Concha y Toro Frontera...sold at Costco...good stuff. :)
Black dog wine!! Not terrible.