Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Maher is in deep doo now...

Post by Major Kong »

I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Maher is in deep doo now...

Post by USN_Hokie »

I actually think Maher is a bit safer than Kathy.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

I agree. Maher clearly told a joke and some people thought it was funny. He's in a much more defensible position than Griffin.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Wow, it looks like its the liberals that are calling for his head. They are turning on their own. This is what an anti-1A movement looks like. Personally I think Maher's joke was in poor taste, but nothing that should get him fired. He's said worse things IMO. The only thing that should make him lose his show is when people lose interest & stop watching. You know, the free market. Not some BS liberal boycott.

======================================

Bill Maher Apologizes As Liberal Calls For His Firing Grow
Derek Hunter
4:53 PM 06/03/2017

Comedian Bill Maher has apologized for calling himself a “house n***er” on his HBO show “Real Time with Bill Maher.” But that apology many not be enough to quell the liberal voices calling for his ouster.

In a statement, Maher said, “I regret saying it and am very sorry.”

Many liberal groups have been calling for HBO to fire Maher over the comment.

ThinkProgress, the blog associated with the liberal activist group Center for American Progress, posted a piece Saturday entitled, “Bill Maher has been a public racist for a long time. Here are the receipts,” in which they list questionable racial jokes Maher has made over his career. The piece claimed Maher is “deeply Islamophobic.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/03/bill- ... ring-grow/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Uppity, the free market and boycotts/public pressure aren't mutually exclusive. HBO will get rid of him if he's deemed bad for business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

nolanvt wrote:Uppity, the free market and boycotts/public pressure aren't mutually exclusive. HBO will get rid of him if he's deemed bad for business.

There's a big difference between having a few small but well funded ideologues target & harrass someone's advertisers, and a real boycott or loss in viewership. The latter is the free market, the former is intolerance for the 1A. Hopefully you understand the difference.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Uppity, the free market and boycotts/public pressure aren't mutually exclusive. HBO will get rid of him if he's deemed bad for business.

There's a big difference between having a few small but well funded ideologues target & harrass someone's advertisers, and a real boycott or loss in viewership. The latter is the free market, the former is intolerance for the 1A. Hopefully you understand the difference.
I understand that the 1A doesn't apply here.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
fatman

Post by fatman »

I don't think either are very funny and both are screwed. Hopefully they disappear into oblivion.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

If Bill Maher survived his 9/11 comments, but gets fired because he used the word (racial slur censored by rule) in a joke, then this country has gone off the deep end.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I posted this as an example of the left turning on their own...I doubt if Maher gets the axe, but catching some heat is is humorous as hell. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.