Black leaders in AZ push for removal of...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Black leaders in AZ push for removal of...

Post by nolanvt »

state's Confederate monuments. I'm curious why a state that wasn't in existence feels the need to have a monument for a war they weren't a part of. Someone help me out here because I'm legitimately curious.

http://www.theroot.com/black-leaders-in ... socialflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Re: Black leaders in AZ push for removal of...

Post by FireFuente »

nolanvt wrote:state's Confederate monuments. I'm curious why a state that wasn't in existence feels the need to have a monument for a war they weren't a part of. Someone help me out here because I'm legitimately curious.

Yeah, its really hard to believe that the monuments had any real meaning in AZ.

Of course that was before. Now they have plenty of meaning and must be left intact as a giant "F U" to these "black leaders" and their flunkies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

You know how I can tell you didn't read the article?
:geek:
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Remember Nolan, "Monuments" are not tied to history- per ummm- you.. and your logic that removing a monument is not an indictment or indication of "forgetting history" - so since the two are decoupled by your logic, why wouldn't AZ have civil war "monuments"?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:state's Confederate monuments. I'm curious why a state that wasn't in existence feels the need to have a monument for a war they weren't a part of. Someone help me out here because I'm legitimately curious.

1- clearly, you didn't read your own link
2- no, you're not.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:You know how I can tell you didn't read the article?
:lol:
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Trollin, trollin, trollin...
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:Remember Nolan, "Monuments" are not tied to history- per ummm- you.. and your logic that removing a monument is not an indictment or indication of "forgetting history" - so since the two are decoupled by your logic, why wouldn't AZ have civil war "monuments"?
I thought H2 had that ridiculous position? Maybe both of them.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

In fairness, he could have read it without comprehending it.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

There were a couple of skirmishes in Baja Arizona...Tucson was the capitol of Rebel Arizona.

There is a huge reenactment every year for the Battle of Picaco Pass...1,000's show up every March to watch even though the actual # of troops from both sides was around 25 cavalry troops from both sides. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RWNJ
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by RWNJ »

Major Kong wrote:There were a couple of skirmishes in Baja Arizona...Tucson was the capitol of Rebel Arizona.

There is a huge reenactment every year for the Battle of Picacho Pass...1,000's show up every March to watch even though the actual # of troops from both sides was around 25 cavalry troops from both sides. :)
FTFY
We lived through Obama, you'll live through Trump
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

In fairness, he could have read it without comprehending it.
Either way, I think a marker or some other physical representation of the event - possibly carved from stone or cast from a metal which doesn't corrode (bronze perhaps? Just spittballing here....) might help nolan remember this historical event in the future. :mrgreen:
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Nah, I read it. Just seems odd given its insignificance and not actually being a part of the Confederacy. They'll probably be taken down in due time.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:Nah, I read it. Just seems odd given its insignificance and not actually being a part of the Confederacy. They'll probably be taken down in due time.

[emoji108]
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:Nah, I read it. Just seems odd given its insignificance and not actually being a part of the Confederacy. They'll probably be taken down in due time.

Here's some info.

Monuments in Arizona include:

Arizona Confederate Veterans Monument in Greenwood Memory Lawn Cemetery in Phoenix, erected in 1999 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Arizona Confederate Veterans Monument in Wesley Bolin Park, next to the Arizona State Capitol in Phoenix, erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Confederate Memorial in the Historical Soldiers Memorial Cemetery area of the Southern Arizona Veterans' Cemetery in Sierra Vista. The monument was erected in 2010 to honor the twenty-one soldiers interred in that cemetery who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and later fought in Indian wars in Arizona as members of the U.S. Army.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

To some, a vet giving his life isn't "insignificant"...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Here's some info.

Monuments in Arizona include:

Arizona Confederate Veterans Monument in Greenwood Memory Lawn Cemetery in Phoenix, erected in 1999 by the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Arizona Confederate Veterans Monument in Wesley Bolin Park, next to the Arizona State Capitol in Phoenix, erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Confederate Memorial in the Historical Soldiers Memorial Cemetery area of the Southern Arizona Veterans' Cemetery in Sierra Vista. The monument was erected in 2010 to honor the twenty-one soldiers interred in that cemetery who served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and later fought in Indian wars in Arizona as members of the U.S. Army.
So... two of the three are privately paid for and on private property, then. Is that right?

If that's the case, I don't see how the state can remove them.

And the third one, in Bolin Park, also has the Ten Commandments in it. The ACLU couldn't get those removed. Seems odd the Bible can stay but not a monument to American Veterans.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.