Charlottesville renaming Lee and Jackson parks

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
WestEndHokie39

Charlottesville renaming Lee and Jackson parks

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

One will be "Justice Park" and the other will be "Emancipation Park"- they couldn't find two leaders to name the parks after instead of using Orwellian SJW newspeak?

Also, I found out the driving force behind this is a racist member of the city council. One of his tweets is him wondering why 80% of black folks speak like white people...
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Charlottesville renaming Lee and Jackson parks

Post by USN_Hokie »

Are you serious?

If they wanted names sure to not be associated with offense, they could name one Stinespring Park.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:One will be "Justice Park" and the other will be "Emancipation Park"- they couldn't find two leaders to name the parks after instead of using Orwellian SJW newspeak?

Also, I found out the driving force behind this is a racist member of the city council. One of his tweets is him wondering why 80% of black folks speak like white people...
come on now, one should be zima park and one should be dumbasses in control park
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:One will be "Justice Park" and the other will be "Emancipation Park"- they couldn't find two leaders to name the parks after instead of using Orwellian SJW newspeak?

Their 'history of Islam' courses taught them well. This is no different than knocking down a church of Jewish temple and building a mosque atop it. They want to erase history.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

A lot of Confederate-related monuments, street names, etc. will likely be changed over time. I'm not sure how I feel about this since it's a complicated issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

nolanvt wrote:A lot of Confederate-related monuments, street names, etc. will likely be changed over time. I'm not sure how I feel about this since it's a complicated issue.

Yeah, both sides have good points. But there are other ways to show one's pride of place/history without the state funding it and tacitly supporting that side of the argument.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:A lot of Confederate-related monuments, street names, etc. will likely be changed over time. I'm not sure how I feel about this since it's a complicated issue.

Stupid isn't complicated. Taking down, or renaming, statues or monuments, doesn't change history. And having them up doesn't mean that we are celebrating everything about that time in our history.
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

PC demands it...next they will be burning history books.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

HokieFanDC wrote:

Stupid isn't complicated. Taking down, or renaming, statues or monuments, doesn't change history. And having them up doesn't mean that we are celebrating everything about that time in our history.
The action isn't intended to 'change history'. It's to merely change which parts of our history the state pays (literally pays) tribute to. It's reasonable to not want the state to highlight those parts of our history that remind us of oppression, especially to those whose ancestors were the oppressed.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

VisorBoy wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

The action isn't intended to 'change history'. It's to merely change which parts of our history the state pays (literally pays) tribute to. It's reasonable to not want the state to highlight those parts of our history that remind us of oppression, especially to those whose ancestors were the oppressed.
There was more to that part of our history, that those statues/monuments represent, than oppression. And it also ignores the perspective of those times. It's just my opinion, but I don't think it's reasonable to say that those things are all about oppression.
And the things I've heard from people in my lifetime, most who are not ancestors of slaves, make me skeptical about motive.
HooFighter
Party: all the time

Post by HooFighter »

Donald Trump is a stupid man's idea of a smart man, a poor man's idea of a rich man, and a weak man's idea of a strong man.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Gonna lose in court over Lee park. Land was donated with covenant that it be named Lee park. City can't change it.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

Seeing as how Virginia was Ground Zero for the unlawful invasion of a sovereign state where its citizens were forced to take up arms in defense of their homes, the War Between the States had a LOT more meaning here than in the rest of the South. Virginia only seceded because armies were going to have to go through their state.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.