This seem pretty big, if true

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

This seem pretty big, if true

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
UpstateSCHokie

Re: This seem pretty big, if true

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Hard to tell what's true anymore

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attorney ... d=47875090
I can believe it, and I can understand why Trump would be pissed about it. Trump did not know Sessions was going to recuse himself until a few minutes before he made the public announcement. I'm pretty sure Trump nominated Sessions with the expectation that he would be a fighter & defender of the administration and not let these stupid Russia witch hunts get out of control.

But instead, Sessions acquiesced to Democrat demands - meanwhile Democrats NEVER recuse themselves no matter how blatant the appearance of impropriety (see Lynch meeting with Clinton on the tarmac).

Now Sessions is powerless to defend the man that he is supposed to be serving. Trump is right. Republicans need to start growing a spine and ignore ridiculous calls from the media & Democrats to hurt their own ability to fight back.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I can believe it, and I can understand why Trump would be pissed about it. Trump did not know Sessions was going to recuse himself until a few minutes before he made the public announcement. I'm pretty sure Trump nominated Sessions with the expectation that he would be a fighter & defender of the administration and not let these stupid Russia witch hunts get out of control.

But instead, Sessions acquiesced to Democrat demands - meanwhile Democrats NEVER recuse themselves no matter how blatant the appearance of impropriety (see Lynch meeting with Clinton on the tarmac).

Now Sessions is powerless to defend the man that he is supposed to be serving. Trump is right. Republicans need to start growing a spine and ignore ridiculous calls from the media & Democrats to hurt their own ability to fight back.
I disagree. Just because Democrats do it don't make it right. We had a discussion here yesterday or the day before about principles. Just because Democrats don't have any doesn't mean Pubs should ignore the few they have left.

The Attorney General's job is to enforce the laws, not to protect the administration.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

I disagree. Just because Democrats do it don't make it right. We had a discussion here yesterday or the day before about principles. Just because Democrats don't have any doesn't mean Pubs should ignore the few they have left.

The Attorney General's job is to enforce the laws, not to protect the administration.
How does recusing himself from this Russia BS help him enforce the law? It actually prevents him from enforcing the law. He did nothing wrong, and nothing that would warrant a recusal.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Your argument assumes there was some rational reason he should recuse himself because he met a foreign dignitary as part of his job in (IIRC) a meeting the Obama administration set up.

It was a JV move and frankly I was disappointed to see him acquiesce like that with no fight.

He thought that recusing himself would quell the Russia madness. Every one who knows the Democrats knew they would just see blood in the water. You don't stand up to crybullies/snowflakes by giving in to their temper tantrums.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

How does recusing himself from this Russia BS help him enforce the law? It actually prevents him from enforcing the law. He did nothing wrong, and nothing that would warrant a recusal.
By recusing himself and letting a special prosecutor take over, he is not obstructing, which would be a violation of the law. Every one of you Trump guys here threw the same fit I did over Holder's obstruction of all Obama transgressions. Holder should have recused himself and demanded a special prosecutor, which is exactly what Sessions should be doing now.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

CPA nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

By recusing himself and letting a special prosecutor take over, he is not obstructing, which would be a violation of the law. Every one of you Trump guys here threw the same fit I did over Holder's obstruction of all Obama transgressions. Holder should have recused himself and demanded a special prosecutor, which is exactly what Sessions should be doing now.
There's nothing "there" for a special prosecutor into Trimp. You're falling for their game, though a Russian collusion investigation nor an election tampering investigation is what the dems want if they were to think it through.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Maybe he should just recuse himself from every future DoJ criminal investigation.

0% chance of obstructing justice!
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Maybe he should just recuse himself from every future DoJ criminal investigation.

No. Just any investigations into possible transgressions by him or his boss.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:[

There is/was no investigation of him or his boss. What are you talking about?

Zero. Zilch.
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

Zero. Zilch.
We're talking about Sessions recusing himself from the Russia investigation.
From The Linked Article wrote:The friction between the two men stems from the attorney general's abrupt decision in March to recuse himself from anything related to the Russia investigation
Somebody alleged something and apparently someone else thought it to be credible enough to maybe investigate it. All Sessions did was say he wasn't going to be the one to make that decision. And if the decision were made to conduct an investigation, he wasn't going to be the one to conduct it.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

No, you said investigations into transgressions by him or his boss. There are none. There is no relationship.

You're asking him to recuse himself from an investigation which he has no relation to other than attending a public meeting set up by the outgoing administration as part of his official duties?

Am I missing something? If not...do you understand how absurd that is?
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

I understand that the article says he has recused himself from the Russia investigation. Period. That seems to me to be an appropriate measure as the implication in the whole Russia matter is that somehow Trump will be determined to have colluded with Russia somehow to get elected.

I doubt that happened, and any investigation will likely conclude as much. But it will be much more easily acceptable if someone other than Trump's appointed AG (or anyone else Trump appointed) is the one to conduct the investigation.

It is now, as it's always been, about the appearance of impropriety. Democrats don't give a f••• about appearances, but that doesn't make them right. There should have been several investigations into Obama which never happened because Holder refused to allow it to happen. That doesn't mean Holder was right.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:I understand that the article says he has recused himself from the Russia investigation. Period. That seems to me to be an appropriate measure as the implication in the whole Russia matter is that somehow Trump will be determined to have colluded with Russia somehow to get elected.

I doubt that happened, and any investigation will likely conclude as much. But it will be much more easily acceptable if someone other than Trump's appointed AG (or anyone else Trump appointed) is the one to conduct the investigation.

It is now, as it's always been, about the appearance of impropriety. Democrats don't give a f••• about appearances, but that doesn't make them right. There should have been several investigations into Obama which never happened because Holder refused to allow it to happen. That doesn't mean Holder was right.
So you don't think there has to be any evidence? Some discredited news source can make an unsubstantiated claim based on anonymous sources and that's enough to make the AG recuse himself?

Who is influencing the investigation again?
Hokie CPA

Post by Hokie CPA »

Isn't the purpose of an investigation to look for and evaluate evidence?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:Isn't the purpose of an investigation to look for and evaluate evidence?
Yeah, assuming there's reason for an investigation to begin with.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Remember, the investigation into Trump and his people is not a criminal investigation, it's an intelligence investigation (into Russia actually). No need for a special prosecutor.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Sessions didn't recuse himself because of Dem demands. It was the push from people like Chaffetz, Issa, and Labrador. And when the investigation is into the Trump campaign, and Sessions was part of that, it makes sense to remove any hint of bias or impropriety. And when you add in his "mistake" in answering questions about meeting with Kislyak, it makes the decision to recuse clearer.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

[emoji375][emoji375]

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:

Zero. Zilch.
[emoji106][emoji106]

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

This was first reported by the NY Times a day or two ago. Therefore, fake news.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Sessions didn't recuse himself because of Dem demands. It was the push from people like Chaffetz, Issa, and Labrador. And when the investigation is into the Trump campaign, and Sessions was part of that, it makes sense to remove any hint of bias or impropriety. And when you add in his "mistake" in answering questions about meeting with Kislyak, it makes the decision to recuse clearer.
Sessions wasn't part of the Trump campaign...certainly had not part of it when Manafront was there. I must have missed Issa et al being the impetus as well, that's news to me.
miles

Post by miles »

Hokie CPA wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:

Swing and a miss, there, Mr. Alpha Kappa Psi ( :P ). The Rinos don't have any principles left. DC, Congress, the Federal Bureaucracy, Much of the Judiciary Branch, and the two dominant political parties are so thoroughly corrupt, that I am deeply pessimistic about our future as a country. But, that's just me, an angry old white guy. "Get off my lawn!"
:)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Dems are opening a can of wormsImage