Comey apparently will testify that Trump urged him to drop

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
WestEndHokie39

Comey apparently will testify that Trump urged him to drop

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

Flynn investigation. It seems to me that request was made (if true) AFTER Flynn had resigned from the administration. I could see Trump doing that, but it seems to be a plea to not ruin an honorable guy who made a dumb mistake (lying to the VEEP). If Trump did that, it was foolish but not in any way illegal, IMHO. Plus, Flynn has not been convicted of any criminal activity either.

Thoughts?
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Re: Comey apparently will testify that Trump urged him to dr

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:Flynn investigation. It seems to me that request was made (if true) AFTER Flynn had resigned from the administration. I could see Trump doing that, but it seems to be a plea to not ruin an honorable guy who made a dumb mistake (lying to the VEEP). If Trump did that, it was foolish but not in any way illegal, IMHO. Plus, Flynn has not been convicted of any criminal activity either.

Thoughts?
He shouldn't have done it. He should stay out of trying to sway anyone. But this isn't obstruction of justice.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

He also said the request (as he termed it) wasn't related to any Russia investigation. Trump was talking about the failure to disclose / misleading the VP. That's his "out" so he can say he didn't perjure himself.

Total nothingburger. Comey sounds like a jaded schoolgirl.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:Flynn investigation. It seems to me that request was made (if true) AFTER Flynn had resigned from the administration. I could see Trump doing that, but it seems to be a plea to not ruin an honorable guy who made a dumb mistake (lying to the VEEP). If Trump did that, it was foolish but not in any way illegal, IMHO. Plus, Flynn has not been convicted of any criminal activity either.

Thoughts?
It's not really a bombshell since it just confirms what those anonymous sources had said. I think the big question is,. If Flynn is charged with a crime,. Does that escalate anything against Trump? That's not a rhetorical question. OoJ is a murky area at the best of times. At the very least,. It's not a good look for any president.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
It's not really a bombshell since it just confirms what those anonymous sources had said. I think the big question is,. If Flynn is charged with a crime,. Does that escalate anything against Trump? That's not a rhetorical question. OoJ is a murky area at the best of times. At the very least,. It's not a good look for any president.
Hmmm, I think I'll go with Judge Napolitano's opinion over partisan wishful thinking.

==============================

Judge Napolitano: Comey’s Pre-Testimony Statements Reveal Trump Did Nothing Illegal (VIDEO)
Jim Hoft Jun 7th, 2017 2:09 pm 29 Comments

Judge Napolitano told Trish Regan on Wednesday on former FBI Director James Comey’s statements that were released before his much anticipated Thursday testimony.

Napolitano told FOX Business Network the documents reveal President Trump did nothing illegal.
Judge Napolitano: It doesn’t appear as though these conversations that the president had with Director Comey could constitute the level of constitutional obstruction of justice necessary to commence any further proceedings like impeachment like Democrats want to do.
Via FOX BUSINESS NETWORK:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/06 ... gal-video/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
saying the guy is a good guy and he hopes that the actions against are avoided is not a good look?? huh?? do you support your friends or throw them under the bus, I support mine
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
saying the guy is a good guy and he hopes that the actions against are avoided is not a good look?? huh?? do you support your friends or throw them under the bus, I support mine
Agree. Trump was saying he hoped that Flynn, who he saw as a good guy, didn't get crucified. Nothing wrong with that both from the comment on Trump's part and the lack of adhering action on Comey's part.

Similarly, this issue of Trump telling Comey he expected loyalty from him; I fully understand it. Trump wanted some assurance that Comey wasn't going to go behind his back, wasn't going to leak to the press, wasn't going to defy him for no reason. That is what I would expect from a senior executive hire.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
Agree. Trump was saying he hoped that Flynn, who he saw as a good guy, didn't get crucified. Nothing wrong with that both from the comment on Trump's part and the lack of adhering action on Comey's part.

Similarly, this issue of Trump telling Comey he expected loyalty from him; I fully understand it. Trump wanted some assurance that Comey wasn't going to go behind his back, wasn't going to leak to the press, wasn't going to defy him for no reason. That is what I would expect from a senior executive hire.
you need more msm to get with the program darn it (or re-education camp)
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Trump's administration was the aggrieved party in regards to Flynn's conduct and Trump was saying that he wanted to forgive Flynn. I'm not seeing why that would be a problem at all.

I'm not sure what there would be to even investigate anyway - is lying to the VP a criminal offense?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:Trump's administration was the aggrieved party in regards to Flynn's conduct and Trump was saying that he wanted to forgive Flynn. I'm not seeing why that would be a problem at all.

I'm not sure what there would be to even investigate anyway - is lying to the VP a criminal offense?
about the only they may be able to get flynn on is lying to congress either in testimony or disclosure forms, remember they are going after manafort for deals he made 20 years before Trump even ran for office. WE have way surpassed the throw any crap on the wall and see what sticks phase
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
No, why would it?
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
No, Obummer apologizing to UN nations for them not paying their bills not a good look for our prez, Trump is fine
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

BigDave wrote:Trump's administration was the aggrieved party in regards to Flynn's conduct and Trump was saying that he wanted to forgive Flynn. I'm not seeing why that would be a problem at all.

My guess is that it would be prosecution for omissions on the disclosure for his security clearance.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

My guess is that it would be prosecution for omissions on the disclosure for his security clearance.
And that is hard to prove. Omissions are often viewed as just that, "I forgot" or "I didn't think that applied", etc. You don't get prosecuted for omitting info on SF-86 or other IC clearance documents because they can't suss out intent. You can have your clearance pulled or not approved, but that's about it. It isn't a crime unless it is knowingly done, and intent is almost impossible to prove.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

And that is hard to prove. Omissions are often viewed as just that, "I forgot" or "I didn't think that applied", etc. You don't get prosecuted for omitting info on SF-86 or other IC clearance documents because they can't suss out intent. You can have your clearance pulled or not approved, but that's about it. It isn't a crime unless it is knowingly done, and intent is almost impossible to prove.
Agree. Let's put it this way: There's Faaaaaaaaaaaar^∞ more evidence that Hillary willfully distributed and destroyed classified data than there is that Flynn willfully omitted a meeting. It would be impossible to prosecute. You might debar someone from holding a clearance for a certain amount of time at worst.
ElbertoHokie
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
As far as the friends part and protecting them, no. You're the president,. You don't get the luxury of protecting friends or doing anything that might make the shield look bad. You're the office but the office is (supposed to be) more important than you. You can have friends and do favors when you're writing 11th hour pardons and a lame duck.

Every president I've seen interviewed says it's the loneliest place in the world. You can't be just another guy.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?
As far as the friends part and protecting them, no. You're the president,. You don't get the luxury of protecting friends or doing anything that might make the shield look bad. You're the office but the office is (supposed to be) more important than you. You can have friends and do favors when you're writing 11th hour pardons and a lame duck.

Every president I've seen interviewed says it's the loneliest place in the world. You can't be just another guy.
That's ridiculous
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?

Your argument assumes things which don't exist.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:

CBS’s Schieffer Questions Robert Gates’s Loyalty to President Obama

"I think there's a certain loyalty to the presidency. And I think when you make it harder for a president while he is still in office I think -- I have problems with that."

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/jeffre ... dent-obama
The media has no integrity.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Thoughts?

except he did nothing to "protect" him, he fired him and was expressing to Comey that he was a good guy, that is an opinion and the prez is allowed to have an opinion