Oberlin students want grades below 'C' abolished

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Oberlin students want grades below 'C' abolished

Post by Techmomof2 »

Abolish all classes and become activist training centers. Why pretend?

http://www.uschronicle.com/college-stud ... ail-class/

It’s a brave new world out there as American college students are now demanding that they no longer receive grades below a “C” for a very important reason. They have been working so hard to promote the Black Lives Matter agenda and participate in the nearby protests that they haven’t had time to properly study.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Re: Oberlin students want grades below 'C' abolished

Post by Hokie CPA »

I have a better idea.... give enrollees the grades they have earned.

If they have earned Ds and Fs, then they flunk out and get kicked out of school. You know, the way it's been done for 100s of years?

Full disclosure... I don't actually know if they gave grades 100s of years ago or flunked students out, but I don't see a problem with requiring students to make grades when there are so many kids who don't get a chance to enroll because there is no room. Flunk em out and make room for the kids who actually want to study and learn!
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Hokie CPA wrote:I have a better idea.... give enrollees the grades they have earned.

If they have earned Ds and Fs, then they flunk out and get kicked out of school. You know, the way it's been done for 100s of years?

Full disclosure... I don't actually know if they gave grades 100s of years ago or flunked students out, but I don't see a problem with requiring students to make grades when there are so many kids who don't get a chance to enroll because there is no room. Flunk em out and make room for the kids who actually want to study and learn!
Somewhere along the line (the internet became cheap, universal and high speed) "college" became a commodity, easily accessed, watered down by University of Phoenix, Strayer, etc. This flood the marketplace with "college" graduates, thus enables employers like Lowe's, Enterprise Rental Car, Starbucks to "require" a college degree for shirty 30K per year "manager" jobs. THAT fosters this "I must go to college/everyone goes to college/college is online and readily available" culture where kids with no care or passion for learning or academics are enrolled in "college"- by the 10's of thousands.. THAT gets us to a place where people are now "entitled" to college, and it's just a standard/lowest common denominator thing that leads to a petition to abolish bad grades. You could see this coming a mile a way. Higher education today is largely a farce. and that is sad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:I have a better idea.... give enrollees the grades they have earned.

the more I see of students these days, the more I know the planet is doomed due to stupidity
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Flunking these goofy little bastards is the best way for colleges and universities to solve their 'problem'.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Post by Techmomof2 »

HokieJoe wrote:Flunking these goofy little bastards is the best way for colleges and universities to solve their 'problem'.
Except the college admin bows to them.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

Techmomof2 wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:Flunking these goofy little bastards is the best way for colleges and universities to solve their 'problem'.
Except the college admin bows to them.
Obviously. I'm just giving then some useful advice...Something which they seem to lack despite their years of education.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Somewhere along the line (the internet became cheap, universal and high speed) "college" became a commodity, easily accessed, watered down by University of Phoenix, Strayer, etc. This flood the marketplace with "college" graduates, thus enables employers like Lowe's, Enterprise Rental Car, Starbucks to "require" a college degree for shirty 30K per year "manager" jobs. THAT fosters this "I must go to college/everyone goes to college/college is online and readily available" culture where kids with no care or passion for learning or academics are enrolled in "college"- by the 10's of thousands.. THAT gets us to a place where people are now "entitled" to college, and it's just a standard/lowest common denominator thing that leads to a petition to abolish bad grades. You could see this coming a mile a way. Higher education today is largely a farce. and that is sad.
Disagree about e-schools. Limited impact as this occurred long before their advent. Baby boom generation became the first generation where it was expected that most would go to college. The boom in the economy, etc. drove higher education and the need/desire for white collar jobs. They in turn, wanting more and better for their kids, have almost mandated that they all go to college. So the next two generations have been pushed to college whether they are suited for it or need it.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Disagree about e-schools. Limited impact as this occurred long before their advent. Baby boom generation became the first generation where it was expected that most would go to college. The boom in the economy, etc. drove higher education and the need/desire for white collar jobs. They in turn, wanting more and better for their kids, have almost mandated that they all go to college. So the next two generations have been pushed to college whether they are suited for it or need it.
Most of these dopes would be better served by acknowledging their lot in life is minimum wage employment. Save themselves and tax payers money.