Tom Cruise starring in a movie about Barry Seal

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

Tom Cruise starring in a movie about Barry Seal

Post by HokieDan95 »

I forget the details of how the story goes but supposedly he smuggled drugs for the CIA and Bush 1 and Clinton's were involved

I believe Bill made sure no law enforcement disrupted the operation at an airport in Mena Arkansas and I believe it was when Bush was head of CIA
"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
VTDante
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Libertarian

Re: Tom Cruise starring in a movie about Barry Seal

Post by VTDante »

miles

Post by miles »

Ah...little Tommy Mapother avec la folie des grandeur... He really jumped the shark with Jack Reacher. It was impossible to watch that and suspend disbelief if one had ever read a novel. :lol:
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

I heard about this. Sounds interesting. As much as Tom Cruise is a whacko, almost all of his action flicks are great.
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

miles wrote:Ah...little Tommy Mapother avec la folie des grandeur... He really jumped the shark with Jack Reacher. It was impossible to watch that and suspend disbelief if one had ever read a novel. :lol:
Yes, impossible to see that little homunculus as a man who is supposed to be 6'7" and massive. Plus the novels rarely have massive shootouts and everything exploding, Reacher usually likes to off his enemies in a very personal way.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:Ah...little Tommy Mapother avec la folie des grandeur... He really jumped the shark with Jack Reacher. It was impossible to watch that and suspend disbelief if one had ever read a novel. :lol:
Yes, impossible to see that little homunculus as a man who is supposed to be 6'7" and massive. Plus the novels rarely have massive shootouts and everything exploding, Reacher usually likes to off his enemies in a very personal way.
Nobody has ever read a book and liked the movie better.
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I heard about this. Sounds interesting. As much as Tom Cruise is a whacko, almost all of his action flicks are great.
I can still watch his movies. As for dipshits like Clooney, Damon, and Affleck, that's another story. Chris Evans (Captain America) is quickly getting into the Clooney/Damon dipshit category, but the Captain America movies have been really good - like most of the Marvel movies. I'm hoping Chris Pratt doesn't turn into another one of these Hollyweird leftist loons because I've enjoyed most of his action movies.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Saw the trailer yesterday and it looked good.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
I think it must have to do with the level of detail in a book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:Ah...little Tommy Mapother avec la folie des grandeur... He really jumped the shark with Jack Reacher. It was impossible to watch that and suspend disbelief if one had ever read a novel. [emoji38]

It's also easier to convey thoughts in a book not to mention the reader creates the visuals via imagination so people are going to prefer their own creation over a movie visual.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:

That is one part.

The other is that a book leaves it to your imagination to fill in the visuals. So if you read a book and then go see the movie, it is impossible for it to meet the expectations for what you've already imagined the characters or scenery to look like.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
miles wrote:Ah...little Tommy Mapother avec la folie des grandeur... He really jumped the shark with Jack Reacher. It was impossible to watch that and suspend disbelief if one had ever read a novel. [emoji38]

It's also easier to convey thoughts in a book not to mention the reader creates the visuals via imagination so people are going to prefer their own creation over a movie visual.
Should have kept reading before responding...yep.