Happy Loving Day UWS

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Happy Loving Day UWS

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Let's make it a point to treat each other with love on this day.

Loving Day is an annual celebration held on June 12 to celebrate the right of interracial couples to marry.

In 1958, 17-year-old Mildred Jeter, who was black, and her childhood sweetheart, 23-year-old Richard Loving, who was white, decided to get married. However, they lived in the Commonwealth of Virginia, which had miscegenation laws banning a white person from marrying a colored person, or any colored person from marrying a white person, the violation of which was a felony punishable by confinement in the penitentiary for not less than a year. Because of this, the couple was married in the District of Columbia pursuant to its laws. When the couple returned to Virginia they were arrested and charged with violating Virginia’s ban on interracial marriage. The Lovings pleaded guilty to the charge and were sentenced to one year in jail. However, the trial judge stated that he would suspend the sentence if they agreed to leave Virginia and not return to the state together for a period of 25 years. In his opinion, the trial judge stated that “Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And, but for the interference with his arrangement, there would be no cause for such marriage. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.” Given the choice between imprisonment and banishment, the couple chose to leave Virginia and move to the District of Columbia.

The Lovings faced severe and continued discrimination for being an interracial couple and were often arrested for traveling together. The injustices they experienced prompted Mildred Loving to write a letter to Robert F. Kennedy, the Attorney General of the United States, who forwarded her letter to the offices of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in New York. The ACLU represented the Lovings in their case against Virginia’s ban on interracial marriages and its infringement on their right to live together as husband and wife in their home state. On June 12, 1967, the United States Supreme Court unanimously held that Virginia’s laws preventing marriage between persons solely on the basis of racial classifications violated the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. Chief Justice Earl Warren delivered the opinion of the Court and concluded that “Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides within the individual and cannot be infringed on by the State.”

This case was the first step in the journey toward marriage equality.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: Happy Loving Day UWS

Post by Florida Hokie »

I dunno - feels like you are shoving your views on marriage in everyone's face.
ip_law-hokie wrote:Let's make it a point to treat each other with love on this day.

Loving Day is an annual celebration held on June 12 to celebrate the right of interracial couples to marry.

In 1958, 17-year-old Mildred Jeter, who was black, and her childhood sweetheart, 23-year-old Richard Loving, who was white, decided to get married. However, they lived in the Commonwealth of Virginia, which had miscegenation laws banning a white person from marrying a colored person, or any colored person from marrying a white person, the violation of which was a felony punishable by confinement in the penitentiary for not less than a year. Because of this, the couple was married in the District of Columbia pursuant to its laws. When the couple returned to Virginia they were arrested and charged with violating Virginia’s ban on interracial marriage. The Lovings pleaded guilty to the charge and were sentenced to one year in jail. However, the trial judge stated that he would suspend the sentence if they agreed to leave Virginia and not return to the state together for a period of 25 years. In his opinion, the trial judge stated that “Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And, but for the interference with his arrangement, there would be no cause for such marriage. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.” Given the choice between imprisonment and banishment, the couple chose to leave Virginia and move to the District of Columbia.

The Lovings faced severe and continued discrimination for being an interracial couple and were often arrested for traveling together. The injustices they experienced prompted Mildred Loving to write a letter to Robert F. Kennedy, the Attorney General of the United States, who forwarded her letter to the offices of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in New York. The ACLU represented the Lovings in their case against Virginia’s ban on interracial marriages and its infringement on their right to live together as husband and wife in their home state. On June 12, 1967, the United States Supreme Court unanimously held that Virginia’s laws preventing marriage between persons solely on the basis of racial classifications violated the Equal Protection and Due Process clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. Chief Justice Earl Warren delivered the opinion of the Court and concluded that “Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides within the individual and cannot be infringed on by the State.”

HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Good job. If only you took the time to create threads about pressing issues like our nightmarish national debt; or how Odumbocare is cratering...Or how we need to get the economy back on its feet after 8 years of fail.

If only
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:I dunno - feels like you are shoving your views on marriage in everyone's face.
ip_law-hokie wrote:Let's make it a point to treat each other with love on this day.

Yet he's someone who is, if I recall from comments on here, unmarried.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:Good job. If only you took the time to create threads about pressing issues like our nightmarish national debt; or how Odumbocare is cratering...Or how we need to get the economy back on its feet after 8 years of fail.

If only
I think The Usuals have those covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:I dunno - feels like you are shoving your views on marriage in everyone's face.

I've never been to Afghanistan, but I'm pretty sure it's a shithole.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I've never been to Afghanistan, but I'm pretty sure it's a shithole.

Are you sure?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:Good job. If only you took the time to create threads about pressing issues like our nightmarish national debt; or how Odumbocare is cratering...Or how we need to get the economy back on its feet after 8 years of fail.

If only
I think the right to marry between races, provided by the NY ACLU against the wishes of Virginia, is worth mention.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

Wonder which live matters in this case.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Attila T Hun wrote:Wonder which live matters in this case.
Just love.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:

If only
I think The Usuals have those covered.

You mean adult talk. I agree junior.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Good job. IP made a non provoking post and you effed it up.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

If only
I think the right to marry between races, provided by the NY ACLU against the wishes of Virginia, is worth mention.

Lots of things are worth mention ip. Everything has it's place in history. Loving was a good decision. Now, 59 years after the fact, we have real issues that affects everyone.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

If only

Isn't it sort of irrelevant today? Yes, critical and important 60 years ago. But today?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

If only

Lots of things are worth mention ip. Everything has it's place in history. Loving was a good decision. Now, 59 years after the fact, we have real issues that affects everyone.
Well Joe - why don't get to work on them instead of wasting time on this thread if you feel that way.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

+1
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

If only

Well Joe - why don't get to work on them instead of wasting time on this thread if you feel that way.

You live here as well ip.

That said, I am being a d/ck to you, so I apologize.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

If only

You acknowledged a historical event that nobody in this forum would argue was a bad decision, so I'm confused by the reaction.

Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Nope. I made a point that most in this forum miss.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
Cute meme. Maybe you can use it again in 60 years when people look back on all the hand wringing there was over gay marriage.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Thank you for posting this.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk