Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Congress taking a stand against Russia

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Sure hope IP doesn't have a job where interpreting text is important.
:mrgreen: ;)
You guys are full of excrement.
discussion is hard :cry:
Not hard, just a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Sure hope IP doesn't have a job where interpreting text is important.
Hopefully communicating isn't important either. :mrgreen:
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
I suppose you were until you "took at trip to Brownsville"?
#JusticeForNolan
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

PolyTech wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
I suppose you were until you "took at trip to Brownsville"?
If taking your lady to Brownsville is wrong, I don't want to be right.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:

In the larger picture, I'm not sure it matters. Their goal is different than when the US meddles in elections. The US is generally pretty open about supporting a certain candidate and working to get them elected. Russia isn't doing that, they are trying to spread chaos. Everyone should be concerned and want to do what we can to understand how they are doing it, and to stop it.

So it's all about good intentions then? What if U.S. support results in chaos? Does that count?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:In the larger picture, I'm not sure it matters. Their goal is different than when the US meddles in elections. The US is generally pretty open about supporting a certain candidate and working to get them elected. Russia isn't doing that, they are trying to spread chaos. Everyone should be concerned and want to do what we can to understand how they are doing it, and to stop it.
How exactly is it different, the Russians did what to spread chaos? please explain. They wrote Hillary's emails or put an illegal server in her basement?[/quote]
Their actions resulted in what we have been addressing for the past 6 months -- division and attacks re who/what/when/where/why the Russians meddled.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

In the larger picture, I'm not sure it matters. Their goal is different than when the US meddles in elections. The US is generally pretty open about supporting a certain candidate and working to get them elected. Russia isn't doing that, they are trying to spread chaos. Everyone should be concerned and want to do what we can to understand how they are doing it, and to stop it.

So it's all about good intentions then? What if U.S. support results in chaos? Does that count?
You mean like meddling in the government of Libya? Or Syria? Or Egypt? Yep, no chaos there.

We meddle in the governments and pick favorites all over the world every day. We use money, military power, CIA stuff, etc. The Chinese, the Russians, every major power in the world does it and always has.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: Their goal is different than when the US meddles in elections. The US is generally pretty open about supporting a certain candidate and working to get them elected. Russia isn't doing that, they are trying to spread chaos. Everyone should be concerned and want to do what we can to understand how they are doing it, and to stop it.
It's all meddling in the foreign policy of the country question. The only thing that's really different is the method.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

[quote="Vienna_Hokie"][quote="HokieJoe"][quote="HokieFanDC"]

In the larger picture, I'm not sure it matters. Their goal is different than when the US meddles in elections. The US is generally pretty open about supporting a certain candidate and working to get them elected. Russia isn't doing that, they are trying to spread chaos. Everyone should be concerned and want to do what we can to understand how they are doing it, and to stop it.[/quote]

So it's all about good intentions then? What if U.S. support results in chaos? Does that count?[/quote]

You mean like meddling in the government of Libya? Or Syria? Or Egypt? Yep, no chaos there.

We meddle in the governments and pick favorites all over the world every day. We use money, military power, CIA stuff, etc. The Chinese, the Russians, every major power in the world does it and always has.[/quote]

I can 100% guarantee you that if Clinton had won, there would be NO [i]Russian election crisis[/i]. All would be right with the world.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

We meddle in the governments and pick favorites all over the world every day. We use money, military power, CIA stuff, etc. The Chinese, the Russians, every major power in the world does it and always has.

I can 100% guarantee you that if Clinton had won, there would be NO Russian election crisis. All would be right with the world.
Correct. This is part of the planned diversion to keep the Trump admin in defensive mode and off balance, unable to proceed with his agenda.
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

We meddle in the governments and pick favorites all over the world every day. We use money, military power, CIA stuff, etc. The Chinese, the Russians, every major power in the world does it and always has.[/quote}

I can 100% guarantee you that if Clinton had won, there would be NO Russian election crisis. All would be right with the world.
And "THE Goal" for all that do it is the same. To get a government or policies in place that are in what the meddling government believes are in it's best interests. Period. Nothing else. Choas may be in our best interest. It is in Russia and China's best interest because it takes focus off the things they are doing around the world that we otherwise would be involved in. If Putin was involved in this, he has been more successful than he could have imagined because the dems have played this far better for him than he could have ever hoped.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Correct. This is part of the planned diversion to keep the Trump admin in defensive mode and off balance, unable to proceed with his agenda.
To be fair, it appears to be working. For example, where is this big infrastructure bill? This should be something that Trump could push through with bipartisan support. What is the holdup?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

To be fair, it appears to be working. For example, where is this big infrastructure bill? This should be something that Trump could push through with bipartisan support. What is the holdup?
All time and capital being spent addressing the Russian nothing burger. This is what the dems want.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Well, Republican congressmen are being shot in the streets by democrats, for one. Several bill hearings we postponed today. But yeah, other than that...
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
Well, Republican congressmen are being shot in the streets by democrats, for one. Several bill hearings we postponed today. But yeah, other than that...
That's disingenuous. Shame on you.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
That's disingenuous. Shame on you.

Of course you'd never use an outside event to make your point!
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
Vienna_Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Of course it's working. Which BTW, drives home my point about the Russians. The left could give a good GD what the Russians do, as evidenced by their incompetent handling of Ukraine and Syria when Odumbo was in office.

Now, Russia is politically convenient, so they feign shock and patriotic outrage, and we get Washington Kabuki theatre. Meanwhile, all the problems we had before remain. They don't care as long as the status quo is maintained.