Who is the modern day Billy Joel?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Who is the modern day Billy Joel?

Post by awesome guy »

The artist singing about blue collar struggles? He may be the last generation to experience that as this happened in the 80s and 90s. Those waiting in places like Allentown either moved to VA to F up our politics or became a 47%er. There's not much of a manufacturing base for us to lose again. Or maybe the modern equivalent would replace the factory whistle with the whistle from the espresso machine "we're working in StarbucksTown, where we roast our beans till they're golden brown". The modern struggle is an urban hell at a mall or other retail position. But they're living with their parents and don't really have a family of their own to support so it's more lame than tragic.
Last edited by awesome guy on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Re: Who is the modern day Billy Joel?

Post by CFB Apologist »

Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

And Joel has admitted many times that half of those lyrics were created to fit a melody he had in his head, more than making a statement. The title of the song- in fact. "Allentown" sang better than other real pa steel cities, of which allentown was not. He also basically made up a term "Chromium Steel" to fit the song. - There was really no such thing.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews?
Mathews sings more about creeping in windows and the like I think. I'll check out the other artist.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:And Joel has admitted many times that half of those lyrics were created to fit a melody he had in his head, more than making a statement. The title of the song- in fact. "Allentown" sang better than other real pa steel cities, of which allentown was not. He also basically made up a term "Chromium Steel" to fit the song. - There was really no such thing.
True, but it's still a working man anthem or blues, regardless if Joel was being exploitive or overly creative.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

awesome guy wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:And Joel has admitted many times that half of those lyrics were created to fit a melody he had in his head, more than making a statement. The title of the song- in fact. "Allentown" sang better than other real pa steel cities, of which allentown was not. He also basically made up a term "Chromium Steel" to fit the song. - There was really no such thing.
True, but it's still a working man anthem or blues, regardless if Joel was being exploitive or overly creative.

True and Jack Johnson sings more about hippy themes. I can't really think of one.. Toby Keith? Kid Rock?
fatman

Post by fatman »

I can't help you with your music question.

I do find the gloom and doom about US manufacturing to be misguided. The US has done an amazing job of moving up the stack as automation replaces humans. US unemployment is now in the sub 5% range. China, for example, is hemorrhaging manufacturing jobs and are having huge problems replacing them.
https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fol ... uring-myth

"It’s also a good moment to consider how important manufacturing is to America’s success in international trade — and vice versa. The U.S. Department of Commerce estimates that exports of manufactured goods directly supported 6 million factory jobs in 2015. That’s about half of the 12.3 million Americans employed in manufacturing.

You don’t have to dig deep into the numbers to see that reports of the demise of U.S. manufacturing are greatly exaggerated. According to economic data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, U.S. real manufacturing output has risen by approximately 75% over the past 25 years.

This represents the continuation of a long trend: U.S. manufacturing value-added has grown eightfold since 1947 in real terms. Contrary to popular misconception, the U.S. share of world manufacturing output has remained fairly steady at approximately 20% for about four decades."
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

True and Jack Johnson sings more about hippy themes. I can't really think of one.. Toby Keith? Kid Rock?
I don't think they quality either. Maybe we're divergent enough now that their isn't much of a common and relatable work experience? Modern songs seem more vapid and irrelevant.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

I don't think there really is a "new" Billy Joel...sometimes artist are one of a kind. :)
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Major Kong wrote:I don't think there really is a "new" Billy Joel...sometimes artist are one of a kind. :)
Yeah, but there was also John Cougar Melloncamp, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Diamond, (even Megadeth in Foreclosure of a Dream) etc also making songs of blue collar hardship and loss of jobs. May have been a sign of the times as many people were personally impacted by factories moving to China, Mexico, etc. Haven't heard a modern day equivalent.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

If only there was an entire genre of music whereby the musician sings and plays about hardships...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:If only there was an entire genre of music whereby the musician sings and plays about hardships...
Yes! But who's doing that now?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:If only there was an entire genre of music whereby the musician sings and plays about hardships...
Whooooshh
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Whooooshh
I got it, I think. Talking about the blues right? I just don't know of any new artists or really songs in that genre.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
Whooooshh

Springsteen and Joel and Fogerty and Petty were/are? made heartland rock. It's different than any other single genre of music. I don't think anyone is like them today, although Brian Fallon, Lucinda Williams, and probably a few other, are sorta close.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

For those who've never given shakey graves a listen, I highly recommend
Salute the Marines
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Check out Blackberry Smoke. I dig this band.

One Horse Town, ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAdGvEdra4U
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

fatman wrote:I can't help you with your music question.

I do find the gloom and doom about US manufacturing to be misguided. The US has done an amazing job of moving up the stack as automation replaces humans. US unemployment is now in the sub 5% range. China, for example, is hemorrhaging manufacturing jobs and are having huge problems replacing them.
https://www.uschamber.com/above-the-fol ... uring-myth

"It’s also a good moment to consider how important manufacturing is to America’s success in international trade — and vice versa. The U.S. Department of Commerce estimates that exports of manufactured goods directly supported 6 million factory jobs in 2015. That’s about half of the 12.3 million Americans employed in manufacturing.

You don’t have to dig deep into the numbers to see that reports of the demise of U.S. manufacturing are greatly exaggerated. According to economic data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, U.S. real manufacturing output has risen by approximately 75% over the past 25 years.

This represents the continuation of a long trend: U.S. manufacturing value-added has grown eightfold since 1947 in real terms. Contrary to popular misconception, the U.S. share of world manufacturing output has remained fairly steady at approximately 20% for about four decades."
If trolling burned calories we'd have to call you skinny man.
PolyTech

Post by PolyTech »

Warren Zevon was a good one, too, although probably a bit more out there.

Saw him open for the Smithereens at The Mosque back in the day - he was (no surprise) better than the Smithereens.
#JusticeForNolan
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Check out Blackberry Smoke. I dig this band.

One Horse Town, ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAdGvEdra4U

thanks, digging it.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

PolyTech wrote:Warren Zevon was a good one, too, although probably a bit more out there.

Saw him open for the Smithereens at The Mosque back in the day - he was (no surprise) better than the Smithereens.
ha, I had forgotten about the Smithereens. Totally believe that too about them not being the A act. When I moved back here, I kept hearing about shows at the "Landmark Theater". I'm thinking, cool, they built a new venue! Nope, the PC crowd forced them to rename the Mosque to not offend the muslims. It's still an ok enough place to see an act.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:For those who've never given shakey graves a listen, I highly recommend

thanks, that's a little different. I randomly listened to Roll The Bones, thinking it was a rendition of Rush's song. Nope, but interesting. Reminded a bit of Band of Skulls.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Check this out too while we're on random artists. I just discovered it rambling around on YouTube, sounds like a more orchestral bluegrass. They need a banjo in there.