United We Stand - uwsboard.com

Virginia Tech fans discussing politics, religion, and football
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 am

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]

UWS DWF UWS Lunch UWS Sports UWS Help TSL Football TSL Lounge TSL MBB Acronyms Top 25 Topics

Forum rules

Please be civil.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:19 am 

Party: Draintheswamp
This is making the rounds this morning.

http://amp.dailycaller.com/2017/06/15/v ... n-in-stem/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:34 am 

USN_Hokie wrote:

TSL recently ran its (now annual) poll asking its readers its opinion of Sands. He still gets high marks from most of their readers which is quite stunning to me. The guy is a divisive left wing ideologue trying to bring Berkeley values to Blacksburg.

Perhaps they are supportive of him because of the recently success of the football & bball teams, but most of that credit should go to Babcock, Fuente, & Williams.

EDT: I realize this grant has not much to do with Sands, but I just needed to rant a bit.

- Andrew Breitbart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:48 am 

Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican
I assume they will be using the $1 million to get rid of the women's studies department?

If you want more women and minorities in STEM, then stop convincing women and minorities to major in women's studies, African American studies, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 am 

Alma Mater: VT
Party: Independent
Sounds like a good idea. There's probably not enough Asians in STEM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 am 

BigDave wrote:
I assume they will be using the $1 million to get rid of the women's studies department?

If you want more women and minorities in STEM, then stop convincing women and minorities to major in women's studies, African American studies, etc.

Some local schools here have recently changed STEM to STEAM, where the "A" stands for Arts. So if this happens at VT, they could easily make the divisional studies programs (women's studies, gay studies, transgendered studies, black studies, etc.) to be part of it.

- Andrew Breitbart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 am 

Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

TSL recently ran its (now annual) poll asking its readers its opinion of Sands. He still gets high marks from most of their readers which is quite stunning to me. The guy is a divisive left wing ideologue trying to bring Berkeley values to Blacksburg.

Perhaps they are supportive of him because of the recently success of the football & bball teams, but most of that credit should go to Babcock, Fuente, & Williams.

EDT: I realize this grant has not much to do with Sands, but I just needed to rant a bit.

Who hired Babcock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:31 am 

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Who hired Babcock?

Even a blind squirell finds a nut now and then

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 am 

Party: Draintheswamp
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Some local schools here have recently changed STEM to STEAM, where the "A" stands for Arts. So if this happens at VT, they could easily make the divisional studies programs (women's studies, gay studies, transgendered studies, black studies, etc.) to be part of it.

Yeah, that's pretty disgusting and subverts the whole point of STEM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:55 am 

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Who hired Babcock?

So one good hire means we have to like everything else he does? There's some logic for ya.

- Andrew Breitbart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:56 am 

USN_Hokie wrote:

that $1m is coming from some tax dollars somewhere, great use of it, wonder how many people that would feed?

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]