Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: Amazon/Whole Foods

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Amazon's service is dwindling with their growth. I've gotten boned several times with them on shipping. Their return policy isn't as good either. They've also made it harder to track prices recently as well. Never assume they have the cheapest price on something.

That said, it's still convenient. I also get a month free every time they screw something up.

I'm really hoping that Walmart steps up as a legitimate competitor to them. I guess we'll see. If Amazon gets any bigger, they need broken up.
Agree that they need a competitor. But Wal-mart would have to greatly increase their mid- and high-end inventory to make a profit off of that kind of thing.

I check Walmart's site to verify stock before going there to purchase. The problem is, it's unreliable. They won't show stock, but if I call and check with floor clerk, they do have stock. They badly need to get their shiite together in that regard, because Amazon cleans their clock.
What is all this stuff you are buying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Amazon's service is dwindling with their growth. I've gotten boned several times with them on shipping. Their return policy isn't as good either. They've also made it harder to track prices recently as well. Never assume they have the cheapest price on something.

That said, it's still convenient. I also get a month free every time they screw something up.

I'm really hoping that Walmart steps up as a legitimate competitor to them. I guess we'll see. If Amazon gets any bigger, they need broken up.
Agree that they need a competitor. But Wal-mart would have to greatly increase their mid- and high-end inventory to make a profit off of that kind of thing.

I check Walmart's site to verify stock before going there to purchase. The problem is, it's unreliable. They won't show stock, but if I call and check with floor clerk, they do have stock. They badly need to get their shiite together in that regard, because Amazon cleans their clock.
What is all this stuff you are buying?

I have to buy stuff for myself and my family. Every day items, printer cartridges, etc. It adds up.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

Walmart has a major advantage, return to store.

I bought a leaf blower at WM.com that wasn't sold in stores (went cheap). Quit after 10 mins and wouldn't restart so I boxed it up, took it to the local wally world and got a refund. I consider that a huge advantage.

Now, their 2 day shipping is a little misleading because I've had stuff that "transited" in two days but didn't leave their facility for 3 before that.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Vienna_Hokie wrote:

Walmart has a major advantage, return to store.

I bought a leaf blower at WM.com that wasn't sold in stores (went cheap). Quit after 10 mins and wouldn't restart so I boxed it up, took it to the local wally world and got a refund. I consider that a huge advantage.

Now, their 2 day shipping is a little misleading because I've had stuff that "transited" in two days but didn't leave their facility for 3 before that.
Yep, a super center is also setup to be an online distribution hub as it has the square footage to service online and on-site customers. Their website is becoming more Amazonish with partner sales and the like.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Who here is the biggest Amazon loser? I've placed 132 orders with them in the last 6 months. Can anyone beat that?
Dang, I haven't bought 132 items total in the past several years!

Glad you're keeping the economy rolling
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:Who here is the biggest Amazon loser? I've placed 132 orders with them in the last 6 months. Can anyone beat that?

I'm afraid to see my wife's account, though 6 months back would cover some of Christmas where we both dominated online shopping.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:Sounds like amazon is going to cut people and prices to try and compete per press reports. IMO that kills tge whole food brand. I know the founder is pissed per his comments in the press
I love the amazon deal, they lost lots of money from their start, and people loved them. They started a massive data center operation with their hoard of cash and undercut lots of data centers to grab market share and most of their profits they have had the last few years are from the data center operations. They make very little from the distribution side. They will have no choice but to make cuts at whole foods as the grocery business is a very tiny margin business. For me I have used amazon before for a few things but I drive by 20 grocery stores and a couple walmarts every day so I go in and buy what I need. I really only shop the sale items at grocery stores these days and get most of the bulk stuff at sams club. The amount we spend on groceries has dropped significantly the last decade doing this method.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm afraid to see my wife's account, though 6 months back would cover some of Christmas where we both dominated online shopping.
I'm guilty of what I criticize, but online shopping is not good for the economy, and not good for us. We should support local brick and mortar stores whenever possible.

It is nuts however that I can get golf balls, toilet paper and beer delivered to my door in an hour. I don't know how you compete with that.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm guilty of what I criticize, but online shopping is not good for the economy, and not good for us. We should support local brick and mortar stores whenever possible.

It is nuts however that I can get golf balls, toilet paper and beer delivered to my door in an hour. I don't know how you compete with that.

Generally, I only order what I can't find on store shelves.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I used to be like that, till Amazon Prime came. Now I'm ordering TP, coolers, etc online. Game has changed.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:

I do all the shopping for the family. Use it for all sorts of things. Why stop at the CVS for deodorant or a new electric toothbrush head when I can order it from my phone and have it show up in two days?

I needed a lot of white pepper for a rub recipe - was able to buy a pound of it on Amazon for the same price a few ounces would cost at the grocery store.

I was doing some electrical work on my car...rather than run around to a few different auto stores to get a weather proof 14ga 2 pin electrical connector, I ordered one for $7 on Amazon.

Rather than go to a shoe store, I'll buy my size plus one up and one down, then return the two I don't need.

You can't beat their prices for medications, either.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:[I can get golf balls, toilet paper and beer delivered to my door in an hour.
LOL, party at IP's place! :mrgreen:

;)
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I do all the shopping for the family. Use it for all sorts of things. Why stop at the CVS for deodorant or a new electric toothbrush head when I can order it from my phone and have it show up in two days?

I needed a lot of white pepper for a rub recipe - was able to buy a pound of it on Amazon for the same price a few ounces would cost at the grocery store.

I was doing some electrical work on my car...rather than run around to a few different auto stores to get a weather proof 14ga 2 pin electrical connector, I ordered one for $7 on Amazon.

Rather than go to a shoe store, I'll buy my size plus one up and one down, then return the two I don't need.

You can't beat their prices for medications, either.
I got carving wax there, they have everything!
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I used to be like that, till Amazon Prime came. Now I'm ordering TP, coolers, etc online. Game has changed.
I have Prime as well- it's great. I still think it's important to support local retailers when possible.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieJoe wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: Dang, I haven't bought 132 items total in the past several years!

I have Prime as well- it's great. I still think it's important to support local retailers when possible.
Yep, but I'm a sucker for convenience and cheap prices. I'm waiting for The Usuals to claim that's actually affluence!
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

Yep, but I'm a sucker for convenience and cheap prices. I'm waiting for The Usuals to claim that's actually affluence!
I'm a sucker for convenience too. I don't shop a lot. When I want something, I know what I want and where I can get it. I get in the car, go to the store, buy it, and come home. 20 minutes.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: I'm guilty of what I criticize, but online shopping is not good for the economy, and not good for us. We should support local brick and mortar stores whenever possible.

I get that for locally owned stores, but those have become a rarity - and they weren't pushed out by the internet so much as they were pushed out by conglomerate owned stores. A great example is gas stations. The Wawa/Sheetz/Royal Farms have pushed out the locally owned gas stations. Most don't even make any real money off of gasoline sales.

IP will be glad to know that I try to make my firearm and firearm accessory purchases from locally owned businesses.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: I'm guilty of what I criticize, but online shopping is not good for the economy, and not good for us. We should support local brick and mortar stores whenever possible.

I'm a sucker for convenience too. I don't shop a lot. When I want something, I know what I want and where I can get it. I get in the car, go to the store, buy it, and come home. 20 minutes.
There's a lot of truth in that too. Depends on what it is and when I need it. 2 day delivery is great, except when I need it now.