Dash cam video released. What do you think?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Dash cam video released. What do you think?

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Dash cam video released. What do you think?

Post by USN_Hokie »

NYT website has AIDS...can't get the video to play nice with my browser security. Here's the Youtube:
Doesn't really change my earlier take. Horrible that this happened and I don't think he had bad intentions, but he'd still be alive if he had listened to repeated warnings by the cop.
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:NYT website has AIDS...can't get the video to play nice with my browser security. Here's the Youtube:
Doesn't really change my earlier take. Horrible that this happened and I don't think he had bad intentions, but he'd still be alive if he had listened to repeated warnings by the cop.
Part of me wonders if he was high. The officer said he smelled marijuana. Probably a good idea not to carry when high. I wonder if this is why he seemed to ignore the cop when he said don't pull it out.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel :!:

Still a damn shame the young man had to die. :(

If I was on the jury I just don't know how I would have found...understanding the responsibilities of being a CCL holder would make it difficult for me to find the officer guilty. I do think however if Mr. Castile had been white the officer "may" have not been so fast to panic.

The firing of the cop regardless of the jury finding was the proper thing to do.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

When a cop says don't reach for it.......I'm not moving........an inch.

I don't understand the victims thought process........if he had one.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

unfortunate but thank God for dash cam...Officer reacted properly.
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:NYT website has AIDS...can't get the video to play nice with my browser security. Here's the Youtube:
Repeated warnings within seconds of telling him to get his license. A guy looking to do harm isn't going to tell the officer he has a weapon. This wasn't murder but it was horrible and irresponsible police work - at best.

Before anyone goes "lefty hates cops" on me. The National Review agrees:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/44 ... ge-justice
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
Repeated warnings within seconds of telling him to get his license. A guy looking to do harm isn't going to tell the officer he has a weapon. This wasn't murder but it was horrible and irresponsible police work - at best.

FloHo hates cops...and SEALs.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:When a cop says don't reach for it.......I'm not moving........an inch.

I don't understand the victims thought process........if he had one.

yep, dude brought it on himself. Seems to be the general poor listening skills/"ain't taking orders" mantra that makes them downtrodden in the first place. If he were to have sit still then he'd be alive.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Sounds cold but I just don't care
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

The officer whimpering like a baby and saying Eff a million times doesn't help his cause. He sounds like a young untrained twit- unprofessional.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

CFB Apologist wrote:The officer whimpering like a baby and saying Eff a million times doesn't help his cause. He sounds like a young untrained twit- unprofessional.
Would you rather he yell at the guy?

“F•••! Why did you make me do that?! Why didn't you f•••ing listen to me, you stupid motherf•••er?!”

Cops almost never have to even draw their service weapon, much less pull the trigger. A lot of them will freak out when they finally do it.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:

it is great how you spin things, he says do you have a license, then the guy tells the cop a firearm is present. At that point since Mr Castille is well known by the local cops (as reported) the cop is more alert to a problem. The guy starts reaching for something, unfortunately the cop had no idea if it was the gun or his license but when the cop says don't reach for it wouldn't you stop what you are doing and wait to move any further? Any reasonable person would. The problem you have is if the guy pulls out the gun and shoots at the officer the cop can easily be taken out before the cop can get his gun out of its holster.
So no the cop was not at fault, the citizen failed to follow instructions, ya know where the cop tells him 3 or 4 times not to reach for it as the cop has no idea what the guy is reaching for and wants to live to the next day.

FYi, we have had I think 4 or 5 cops killed while performing their duties the last 2-3 weeks, but they should wait for a bullet to whiz by their ear before taking any action, right?
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:The officer whimpering like a baby and saying Eff a million times doesn't help his cause. He sounds like a young untrained twit- unprofessional.
Would you rather he yell at the guy?

“F•••! Why did you make me do that?! Why didn't you f•••ing listen to me, you stupid motherf•••er?!”

Cops almost never have to even draw their service weapon, much less pull the trigger. A lot of them will freak out when they finally do it.
I agree with CFB here. Not damning, but the optics are bad.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

it is great how you spin things, he says do you have a license, then the guy tells the cop a firearm is present. At that point since Mr Castille is well known by the local cops (as reported) the cop is more alert to a problem. The guy starts reaching for something, unfortunately the cop had no idea if it was the gun or his license but when the cop says don't reach for it wouldn't you stop what you are doing and wait to move any further? Any reasonable person would. The problem you have is if the guy pulls out the gun and shoots at the officer the cop can easily be taken out before the cop can get his gun out of its holster.
So no the cop was not at fault, the citizen failed to follow instructions, ya know where the cop tells him 3 or 4 times not to reach for it as the cop has no idea what the guy is reaching for and wants to live to the next day.

FYi, we have had I think 4 or 5 cops killed while performing their duties the last 2-3 weeks, but they should wait for a bullet to whiz by their ear before taking any action, right?
It's great how you accuse me of spin and then follow that accusation with a paragraph of spin. For example, you seem to know an awful lot about something that happened based purely on audio and not visual. The one thing we do know is tone of voice. Both were completely calm until the officer lost his excrement in about .5 seconds. Regardless, we've been down this path before - you are always going to defend an officer. You just will. I will sometimes. In this case, I agree with the National Review author. This does not appear to have been a necessary course of action. A more level headed officer likely would not have shot the driver.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

It's great how you accuse me of spin and then follow that accusation with a paragraph of spin. For example, you seem to know an awful lot about something that happened based purely on audio and not visual. The one thing we do know is tone of voice. Both were completely calm until the officer lost his excrement in about .5 seconds. Regardless, we've been down this path before - you are always going to defend an officer. You just will. I will sometimes. In this case, I agree with the National Review author. This does not appear to have been a necessary course of action. A more level headed officer likely would not have shot the driver.
yes, and ones that have been less quick have died next to the car they pulled over. You get it right, the cop has no idea what he is reaching for and tells him to stop 3 or 4 times, why at that point would you debate the cop about what it is you are going for, 99.9% of normal folks will stop as they see the cop is agitated and await further instruction. You should watch pd live on a&E on the weekends, it is actual cop activity in real time, cops do not like it when they cannot see your hands. The best part of that show for you is you will realize that almost everyone they encounter that they have a problem with EVERY WORD OUT OF THEIR MOUTH IS A LIE, just watch the show so you can see actual cop work, I think they would love it if it was as simple and cut and dry as you fantasize it is. FYI, the cop had a trial and a group of folks saw the video and came to the conclusion that it was not a crime, I guess that jury were idiots also
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

yes, and ones that have been less quick have died next to the car they pulled over. You get it right, the cop has no idea what he is reaching for and tells him to stop 3 or 4 times, why at that point would you debate the cop about what it is you are going for, 99.9% of normal folks will stop as they see the cop is agitated and await further instruction. You should watch pd live on a&E on the weekends, it is actual cop activity in real time, cops do not like it when they cannot see your hands. The best part of that show for you is you will realize that almost everyone they encounter that they have a problem with EVERY WORD OUT OF THEIR MOUTH IS A LIE, just watch the show so you can see actual cop work, I think they would love it if it was as simple and cut and dry as you fantasize it is. FYI, the cop had a trial and a group of folks saw the video and came to the conclusion that it was not a crime, I guess that jury were idiots also
This idiot was stoned at the time and so not acting rationally. It's his fault.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

I didn't say they were idiots and I'm not calling you one. I understand your POV. I get it. Guy says he has a gun so naturally the officer is now going to get anxious. Still, the other side of that coin is the guy is TELLING him, calmly, that he has a gun. Not the action of a completely unhinged individual.

The whole thing is unfortunate for both the driver and the cop. You are right - the jury found him not guilty (honestly I don't know what the charge is). Like I said, I don't think the guy is a murderer. I just don't think he's the right guy for law enforcement.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:

I didn't say they were idiots and I'm not calling you one. I understand your POV. I get it. Guy says he has a gun so naturally the officer is now going to get anxious. Still, the other side of that coin is the guy is TELLING him, calmly, that he has a gun. Not the action of a completely unhinged individual.

The whole thing is unfortunate for both the driver and the cop. You are right - the jury found him not guilty (honestly I don't know what the charge is). Like I said, I don't think the guy is a murderer. I just don't think he's the right guy for law enforcement.
I was watching pd live last weekend, thus the reason I said you should watch it, it gives you real time live actions of cops, it shows just how tough the job is. Last weekend the same thing happened as happened in this video, they roll up on an apt where several folks are having a little party in the open area, and a neighbor has complained. They go to talk to the people and a guy starts to walk away and turns from them and sticks his hand into the front of his pants. They pounced on him and got him down and the guy took a while to get his hands out even as they were punching his arms to get him to show them (2 cops) his hands. The guy almost got hurt seriously for his resistance...... Turns out he had some pot on him and was reaching for some medicine he has to take and since he knew he was going to get arrested was trying to get the medicine before he got arrested. The cops had no idea what he was reaching for, meanwhile his friends are yelling at the cops for being mean to the guy. Once it settled down the guy arrested explained to the camera about the medicine and admitted it was super dumb to reach for it while interacting with the cops. Yes it would be great if cops had the ability to know what people are going to do, alas that is not possible.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I don't like it. He told the cop he had a gun. 2 seconds later, he's dead. It seems that if he had meant harm upon the cop, he'd not have announced having a gun.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:I don't like it. He told the cop he had a gun. 2 seconds later, he's dead. It seems that if he had meant harm upon the cop, he'd not have announced having a gun.
It's the action, don't tell a cop you have a gun and then pull something out your pants or whatever, while he's telling you to stop.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I don't like it. He told the cop he had a gun. 2 seconds later, he's dead. It seems that if he had meant harm upon the cop, he'd not have announced having a gun.
would you debate the cop on what you are reaching for or stop when he tells you 3-4 times to not reach for it? Keep in mind the cop is not a mind reader and has no idea what the guy is reaching for
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
would you debate the cop on what you are reaching for or stop when he tells you 3-4 times to not reach for it? Keep in mind the cop is not a mind reader and has no idea what the guy is reaching for
^^ This.

Quite simply, the proper thing to do when pulled over is sit behind the wheel with your hands on the wheel until instructed to move. Once you inform the cop you're armed, you don't flinch unless told to do so.

At that point the cop should instruct you to step out of the vehicle. He'll ask where the weapon is and then he'll secure it for everyone's safety. As long as everyone does what they're supposed to do, there will be no incident.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I think the guy was high. In this case, that contributed to his death.

"Dave's not here, man"
"No! It's me, Dave! Let me in!"
"Dave?"
"Yeah!"
"Dave's not here. Come back later, man.."
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Hokie CPA wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
^^ This.

Quite simply, the proper thing to do when pulled over is sit behind the wheel with your hands on the wheel until instructed to move. Once you inform the cop you're armed, you don't flinch unless told to do so.

At that point the cop should instruct you to step out of the vehicle. He'll ask where the weapon is and then he'll secure it for everyone's safety. As long as everyone does what they're supposed to do, there will be no incident.
Flinching shouldn't lead to death. Many people are nervous around cops. Flinching is par for the course.