Trump on a roll in Iowa speech. Love the plain talk

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Trump on a roll in Iowa speech. Love the plain talk

Post by 133743Hokie »

No minced words. No doubt what he thinks or means. I've laughed out loud several times at the plain jabs and swipes he's taken trolling the democrats. He's also preaching unity between the parties, asking them to get together on healthcare and tax reform. Plain. Blunt. Direct. Different than any other politician I've ever seen.
Cpt Jagdish
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: None of the above

Re: Trump on a roll in Iowa speech. Love the plain talk

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

"plain jabs and swipes he's taken trolling the democrats. He's also preaching unity between the parties"
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:"plain jabs and swipes he's taken trolling the democrats. He's also preaching unity between the parties"
No he's preaching payback is a bitch and elections have consequences. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Cpt Jagdish

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

Major Kong wrote:
Cpt Jagdish wrote:"plain jabs and swipes he's taken trolling the democrats. He's also preaching unity between the parties"
No he's preaching payback is a bitch and elections have consequences. :mrgreen:
Sure, I don't care.

I would like to see before I die a politician actually mean it when they ask for unity. I agree with Trump in his rally yesterday on a couple of things. One of the things he mentioned is that if the Republicans came out and offered up a healthcare plan that would cover everyone and everything AND was free, that the dems would block it. I agree with him, it's very frustrating.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Sure, I don't care.

I would like to see before I die a politician actually mean it when they ask for unity. I agree with Trump in his rally yesterday on a couple of things. One of the things he mentioned is that if the Republicans came out and offered up a healthcare plan that would cover everyone and everything AND was free, that the dems would block it. I agree with him, it's very frustrating.
Unity sux and overrated.

This is the USA our government is adversarial. Two parties with the potential for more.

If I wanted "unity" I would move to Venezuela, China or Cuba.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Major Kong wrote:

Unity sux and overrated.

This is the USA our government is adversarial. Two parties with the potential for more.

Exactly. I don't want unity. I want the Pubs to defeat the Dumbs and trample them and their ideas into the ground.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity sux and overrated.

Exactly. I don't want unity. I want the Pubs to defeat the Dumbs and trample them and their ideas into the ground.
Yep. This. Our government is supposed to be adversarial.
Cpt Jagdish

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

Got it.

Divided States of America. Divided We Stand.

I guess some people get their rocks off on this. Not my thing.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Got it.

Then why don't you just capitulate to us in the name of unity?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:

Then why don't you just capitulate to us in the name of unity?
I could unify with Jagdish capitulating.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Cuba is only 90 miles south of Key West. ;) :P :mrgreen:

We've been adversarial since 1789 and have done just fine (except for that unfortunate Civil War period)...kumbaya is fine as a campfire song but not for governance.

Also don't confuse bi-partisan with unity.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:

Unity sux and overrated.

That's not what people mean when they say unity. It's not about unity of political thought and principle, but unity in terms of not fighting against each other at every turn.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:That's not what people mean when they say unity. It's not about unity of political thought and principle, but unity in terms of not fighting against each other at every turn.
Nope...stop making up new definitions to old words:

Unity:
1. the state of being united or joined as a whole.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity sux and overrated.

That's not what people mean when they say unity. It's not about unity of political thought and principle, but unity in terms of not fighting against each other at every turn.
Your incorrect definition of unity is really a definition of the prototypical politician who has led us to the mess we're in. Someone who won't vigorously defend their principles. Someone who cares more about power and relationships than the people they were elected to represent. Someone who will talk about conservatism behind a podium and then make deals with Obama on the golf course.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Have ya seen any of the dems tweets or press conferences since he called for unity???

good luck with that one.

Who again is trying to create the violence and discord?
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:That's not what people mean when they say unity. It's not about unity of political thought and principle, but unity in terms of not fighting against each other at every turn.

Unity:
And in terms of politics, "being united or joined as a whole" for the greater good of the country. That last segment of the phrase is what people want and what has been missing.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

so all the celebs threatening the prez is unity? Kathy Griffin is the ultimate unity I guess.

Again, did the repubs have demonstrations every day after Obummer was elected twice? No, we just beat every dem in congressional elections and state and local elections and waited for our time. Since Trump won it has been non-stop to try and De-legitamize the election and non-stop whining from demonstrators and the constant threats to the prez and his family.

Dems lost (and keep losing every other election), get over it
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity:
And in terms of politics, "being united or joined as a whole" for the greater good of the country. That last segment of the phrase is what people want and what has been missing.
The last segment you just made up :?:
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity:
Wrong. It is EXACTLY what people mean when they say they want unity in politics -- acting in the best interest of the country.. You can continue to believe and make up anything you want, but that is the core definition for the majority of Americans.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

133743Hokie wrote:And in terms of politics, "being united or joined as a whole" for the greater good of the country. That last segment of the phrase is what people want and what has been missing.
Only in terms of a 50/50 arrangement...in the US those who control the House, Senate and the WH only need unity within the party...the opposition party is SOL until such time they take back control. The only way unity in terms of good for the country works is for the dominant party to do what they were elected to do.

I didn't vote for unity between two parties I voted for the GOP to kick ass and take names.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity sux and overrated.

Your incorrect definition of unity is really a definition of the prototypical politician who has led us to the mess we're in. Someone who won't vigorously defend their principles. Someone who cares more about power and relationships than the people they were elected to represent. Someone who will talk about conservatism behind a podium and then make deals with Obama on the golf course.

I'm talking about politicians who used to go out to dinner with each other to discuss how they could both achieve their goals. Politicians used to be able to leave the chamber and still be friendly, not run to the media and call the other side names.
It's about disagreeing with other people's ideas, but still respecting the differences you have with them. The united part is the part where everyone is united that the work they're doing is best for America, even if you disagree on what is actually best. Today, if two politicians disagree (and lots of regular citizens), they hurl insults every chance they get.
Once you start that level of disrespect, you lose the ability to work with anyone to get something done.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:And in terms of politics, "being united or joined as a whole" for the greater good of the country. That last segment of the phrase is what people want and what has been missing.
Only in terms of a 50/50 arrangement...in the US those who control the House, Senate and the WH only need unity within the party...the opposition party is SOL until such time they take back control. The only way unity in terms of good for the country works is for the dominant party to do what they were elected to do.

I didn't vote for unity between two parties I voted for the GOP to kick ass and take names.
And that's your problem and one of the main reasons US politics is so f****d up now. Party before country tends to keep the country in a mess like we are right now.
Last edited by 133743Hokie on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity:
Wrong. It is EXACTLY what people mean when they say they want unity in politics -- acting in the best interest of the country.. You can continue to believe and make up anything you want, but that is the core definition for the majority of Americans.
Which is why I want Dumbs defeated and no Unity with them. They do NOT act in the best interest of the country.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Unity:
LOL, WTF kind of argument is this? We're just making up words and adding them to definitions so they suit us?

No shirt - politicians have different ideas of what the best interests of the country are. From its very inception, there's been fierce disagreements over what is best for the country.

That's how we got the bill of rights. Ratification was a nail biter because people had fundamental differences in what they thought was best for the country based on principles they didn't want to compromise. That continues to today.

Your image of a "unified" government is how we get a self-serving, overburdening central government like we see elsewhere. Conflict controls scope creep of the legislature. Think of how many more laws we would have today if there were only a single legislature? This was on purpose because our founders knew there were competing interests.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:I'm talking about politicians who used to go out to dinner with each other to discuss how they could both achieve their goals. Politicians used to be able to leave the chamber and still be friendly, not run to the media and call the other side names.
It's about disagreeing with other people's ideas, but still respecting the differences you have with them. The united part is the part where everyone is united that the work they're doing is best for America, even if you disagree on what is actually best. Today, if two politicians disagree (and lots of regular citizens), they hurl insults every chance they get.
Once you start that level of disrespect, you lose the ability to work with anyone to get something done.
Phuque them...I don't give a rats ass what the opposition party thinks.

Local, State and Federal offices show a yuge advantage to the GOP...do what you were elected to do.