John McEnroe pissed off feminists

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: John McEnroe pissed off feminists

Post by USN_Hokie »

As an aside, the juxtaposition of Williams and her husband is hilarious....funnier than O and Michelle even.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Since Serena has juiced most of her career, I'll go with Graf or Navratilova. And McEnroe is correct
I'm not sure I've ever heard anything about Serena juicing. Tennis has one of the most stringent drug policies now.

I think Steffi and Serena are very close. Serena has one more grand slam but Steffi retired at the age of 30, where Serena had still been playing at the age of 35.
Serena has repeatedly refused to take drug tests, has been "unavailable", etc. She even called the cops on the drug testing lab that showed up to test her. She has avoided it at all costs and the WTA has turned a blind eye to it. Oh, and Sharapova gets a 16 month suspension for taking a prescription drug for multiple years that just went on the banned substance list.

Annnnnnddddd Serena is 200 pounds and squats more than an offensive lineman...it's not that hard folks...
I am shocked....shocked that anyone would think she's taken performance enhancing drugs.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

vtrider wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Since Serena has juiced most of her career, I'll go with Graf or Navratilova. And McEnroe is correct
I'm not sure I've ever heard anything about Serena juicing. Tennis has one of the most stringent drug policies now.

I think Steffi and Serena are very close. Serena has one more grand slam but Steffi retired at the age of 30, where Serena had still been playing at the age of 35.
CFB probably just made that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

Yes, and when Bonds visited Balco- a steroid lab- he was there for the gatorade. When Tiger Wood's "blood letting" doctor was arrested for Roid distribution, Tiger was seeing him for the common cold.... No top athlete has ever taken steroids according to you morons..noooooo. Serena being bigger than Brian Urlacher and refusing drug tests is normal- all women can bench 450... effing morons
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

Yes, and when Bonds visited Balco- a steroid lab- he was there for the gatorade. When Tiger Wood's "blood letting" doctor was arrested for Roid distribution, Tiger was seeing him for the common cold.... No top athlete has ever taken steroids according to you morons..noooooo. Serena being bigger than Brian Urlacher and refusing drug tests is normal- all women can bench 450... effing morons

I love it when the go full Nolan and act haughty with their stupidity. We have some special people.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

If you wanted to present a case as to why Serena is like Barry Bonds, you are doing a poor job.

She's a big woman. I believe she could train to bench whatever made up number you claim she benches. Im going to give her the benefit of doubt over an unstable message board personality* absent some real evidence to the contrary.

* I love the message board personality FWIW.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Message board personality is great. The Usuals provide me with great entertainment on a daily basis.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:Message board personality is great. The Usuals provide me with great entertainment on a daily basis.

None are as entertaining as you

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Meh, Navratilova was pretty dominant in her day, but I would give the edge to Serena. It would be an interesting matchup. These arguments are always fun though. For instance, I think the 88-89 Pistons would kill Golden State in a theoretical matchup. In fact, any championship team from that era would kill the teams playing now. The same applies for the Bulls or Kobe/Shaq edition of the Fakers. But it would have to be legitimate basketball. Not the foo-foo style the league currently plays.
You mean playing by the written rules re palming, traveling, etc

Yes, I mean pro basketball used to be more fundamentally sound than it is today. They played defense, rotated the ball, and smacked people coming into the paint. There were no easy points. And yes, fouls were called. The league has become too streetballish and undisciplined. And hey, I like watching streetball, but that isn't the product the NBA should be presenting IMO.
Golden State is anything but streetball. They would beat the Bad Boys Pistons because of their advantage in shooting 3s.

Doubtful. That Pistons team had a great defense. Dumars, Zeke or Vinnie the Microwave Johnson would make Curry's existence very difficult on the perimeter. John Sally or Rodman (especially Rodman) would've given Durant fits anywhere not in the paint. In the paint, you've got Laimbeer and Mahorn, locking it down, so there would be no strolling down the lane against that group.

On any given night, one or all of Aguirre, Zeke, Dumars or Johnson might catch on fire scoring. Plus, Laimbeer could swing outside score with alarming consistency. On top of that they were a smart, gritty team that had to play the Celtics, Lakers and his Airness Jordan. Who have the Warriors played, Kyrie and Lebron?
I'll put it this way. Under 1980s rules, the Pistons beat the Warriors. Under today's rules, other way around.

As for the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls, they came around when the Lakers and Celtics were at the end of their great eras, and the Bulls were just getting ready to go on a roll. The Pistons never beat the great Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls teams. Heck, the 2004 Pistons may have been a better D team than the bad boys.
I loved the Bad Boys, my favorite player of all-time is Isiah Thomas. I have a Piston's bias. With that said, I'm not sure how they would beat the Warriors. They never had to face a team that could shoot like the Warriors. Clogging the lane doesn't do much when you have players that can hit from a few feet behind the arc. They have two guys that can hit from well behind the arc, then you add Kevin Durant. Let's also add to it that players in the NBA are bigger, faster, and stronger than the good old days. I understand that whatever game we're talking about was always better back in the day, but it isn't. Players seem to get more athletic over time. You can see it in timed sports - see Olympics. Arguing that a team from almost three decades ago would beat the Warriors is like arguing that Carl Lewis would beat Usain Bolt.

I do think the 2004 Pistons would be interesting. They have Rasheed Wallace which is a huge match-up problem. Tayshawn Prince that was 6'10 with an 8' wingspan. He would cause a lot of problems from whomever he guarded, see Kobe Bryant. Are Hamilton and Billups good enough, and what do you do with Ben Wallace? He's an asset against the Spurs/Lakers that he faced in the finals, but against Golden State?

The Houston Rockets would also be interesting. Great guard play, and one of the best centers. How would Golden State handle the "Dream Shake".
People who know, know.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

If you wanted to present a case as to why Serena is like Barry Bonds, you are doing a poor job.

She's a big woman. I believe she could train to bench whatever made up number you claim she benches. Im going to give her the benefit of doubt over an unstable message board personality* absent some real evidence to the contrary.

The fact that you don't think Serena Williams- twice the size of her own sister- and gained said weight and muscle rapidly and as she got older- used steroids is telling. Common sense is undervalued in America today, it really is.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

The fact that you don't think Serena Williams- twice the size of her own sister- and gained said weight and muscle rapidly and as she got older- used steroids is telling. Common sense is undervalued in America today, it really is.
There is a lot of "common sense" that you hold that is simply not true (e.g., fair market value of property in NYC, SF; consequences of recreational marijuana use; etc.). I'm not willing to pass judgment on your notion of "common sense", given your history (which I love).
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

HokieFanDC wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Meh, Navratilova was pretty dominant in her day, but I would give the edge to Serena. It would be an interesting matchup. These arguments are always fun though. For instance, I think the 88-89 Pistons would kill Golden State in a theoretical matchup. In fact, any championship team from that era would kill the teams playing now. The same applies for the Bulls or Kobe/Shaq edition of the Fakers. But it would have to be legitimate basketball. Not the foo-foo style the league currently plays.
You mean playing by the written rules re palming, traveling, etc

Yes, I mean pro basketball used to be more fundamentally sound than it is today. They played defense, rotated the ball, and smacked people coming into the paint. There were no easy points. And yes, fouls were called. The league has become too streetballish and undisciplined. And hey, I like watching streetball, but that isn't the product the NBA should be presenting IMO.
Golden State is anything but streetball. They would beat the Bad Boys Pistons because of their advantage in shooting 3s.

Doubtful. That Pistons team had a great defense. Dumars, Zeke or Vinnie the Microwave Johnson would make Curry's existence very difficult on the perimeter. John Sally or Rodman (especially Rodman) would've given Durant fits anywhere not in the paint. In the paint, you've got Laimbeer and Mahorn, locking it down, so there would be no strolling down the lane against that group.

On any given night, one or all of Aguirre, Zeke, Dumars or Johnson might catch on fire scoring. Plus, Laimbeer could swing outside score with alarming consistency. On top of that they were a smart, gritty team that had to play the Celtics, Lakers and his Airness Jordan. Who have the Warriors played, Kyrie and Lebron?
I'll put it this way. Under 1980s rules, the Pistons beat the Warriors. Under today's rules, other way around.

As for the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls, they came around when the Lakers and Celtics were at the end of their great eras, and the Bulls were just getting ready to go on a roll. The Pistons never beat the great Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls teams. Heck, the 2004 Pistons may have been a better D team than the bad boys.
We'll agree to disagree on your first paragraph, but you make some fair points.

Statistically, the 2004 Pistons may have been better defensively. I'd still take Zeke's team over the 2004 edition. As for the Celtics and Lakers, yes the Pistons won on the tail end of their dynasties. But remember, they were dynasties, and I'd take either of those teams at the end of their runs over the Warriors.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson