John McEnroe pissed off feminists

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

John McEnroe pissed off feminists

Post by nolanvt »

because he was mostly correct. He referred to Serena as the best women's tennis player of all time in an interview. Host asked why the distinction of best women's player. McEnroe went on to say that Serena might be the 700th best player if she played the men's tour. Maybe of touch of hyperbole, but no educated tennis fan would seriously argue that she could remotely compete with the top male players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: John McEnroe pissed off feminists

Post by USN_Hokie »

I think Serena would agree with McEnroe. The only story here is that NPR's interviewer is a SJW who doesn't know much about sports.

Didn't Serena get crushed by a no-name male tennis player a while ago?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Since Serena has juiced most of her career, I'll go with Graf or Navratilova. And McEnroe is correct
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:I think Serena would agree with McEnroe. The only story here is that NPR's interviewer is a SJW who doesn't know much about sports.

Yes, although Serena was only 17 or 18 at the time, but the point still stands. The guy who beat her was ranked 203rd in the world and had played golf and had a couple beers before the match.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:Since Serena has juiced most of her career, I'll go with Graf or Navratilova. And McEnroe is correct
Nah. Serena is better than them.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Since Serena has juiced most of her career, I'll go with Graf or Navratilova. And McEnroe is correct

Barry Bonds is better than Ripken, but Bonds cheated. That's why one garnered 99% of the HOF vote, and one is stuck at 28%... Tiger Woods is a better golfer than Jim Furyk, but Tiger juiced- he cheated. No respect for that from me.
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

That's gonna be true across most athletic competition. I was watching American Ninja Warrior and Spartan Ultimate Team Challenge last night. You had Jessie Graff, the very best women's 'ninja' ever, having completed more courses and progressed further in the finals than any woman ever, hands down. She's beaten quite few men at it. She's really good. But she can't beat guys like Drew Dreschel, Kevin Bull, or that young kid (Gil?) who are virtual locks to challenge Stage 3 and threaten to win the whole thing in any given year.

Spartan featured a team of all women pole vaulters last night. They were strong, athletic women, but they spent most of the race in third place. They had a chance to maybe finish second in their heat, but they didn't get the chance because they had already failed to beat the second team in the first heat. Point is, they weren't going to beat a team who had one or two men to help with some of the tougher obstacles. That's not to say they couldn't do them... they most certainly could, and did... but they other teams did it faster.

And Spartan isn't necessarily a male's sport either.... the best teams so far have two or three women on them.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:I think Serena would agree with McEnroe. The only story here is that NPR's interviewer is a SJW who doesn't know much about sports.

Actually Serena fired back a tweet at Mac telling him to layoff the comparisons and let her be.

That said, she did comment in the past that Andy Murray would beat her in 5 or 6 minutes. Hyperbole, yes, but a recognition of the big discrepancy.
vtrider
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Meh

Personally I would love to see this match

Post by vtrider »

McEnroe has been playing on a champions tour over the past several years, beating the likes of Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, and several other much younger retired players. I suspect he is right that he would beat Serena.

Unfortunately, I don't think Serena would ever agree to this match. She had a male practice partner a couple of years ago, and when asked, would not even discuss how practice went between them.

Also, she's pregnant, so...advantage McEnroe
cwtcr hokie

Re: Personally I would love to see this match

Post by cwtcr hokie »

vtrider wrote:McEnroe has been playing on a champions tour over the past several years, beating the likes of Andy Roddick, Jim Courier, and several other much younger retired players. I suspect he is right that he would beat Serena.

Unfortunately, I don't think Serena would ever agree to this match. She had a male practice partner a couple of years ago, and when asked, would not even discuss how practice went between them.

Also, she's pregnant, so...advantage McEnroe

Mcenroe is 58, being 51 myself I doubt he could beat her now, age is a beatch
vtrider

Post by vtrider »

Mcenroe is 58, being 51 myself I doubt he could beat her now, age is a beatch[/quote]

Yeah, but he's 58 and still beating former champions, that's why I'd love to see the match.

This weekend, I played a doubles 4.0 tennis match and was partnered with a 71 year old. I thought it was going to be a throwaway match, but he played very well and we managed to push the second set to a tie-breaker against a pretty good team. I hope I can do the same at 71.
vtrider

Post by vtrider »

I'm not sure I've ever heard anything about Serena juicing. Tennis has one of the most stringent drug policies now.

I think Steffi and Serena are very close. Serena has one more grand slam but Steffi retired at the age of 30, where Serena had still been playing at the age of 35.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

vtrider wrote:
I'm not sure I've ever heard anything about Serena juicing. Tennis has one of the most stringent drug policies now.
http://www.foxsports.com/tennis/story/s ... -up-110211
People who know, know.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

vtrider wrote:Mcenroe is 58, being 51 myself I doubt he could beat her now, age is a beatch
Yeah, but he's 58 and still beating former champions, that's why I'd love to see the match.

This weekend, I played a doubles 4.0 tennis match and was partnered with a 71 year old. I thought it was going to be a throwaway match, but he played very well and we managed to push the second set to a tie-breaker against a pretty good team. I hope I can do the same at 71.[/quote]

he is beating players in his same age range, that 20 year gap is a big deal, he also said that even his kids said he could not beat her now and he has said he could not now
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

vtrider wrote:
Are you kidding? Her clitoris is probably bigger than FloHo's pecker.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

vtrider wrote:

I think Steffi and Serena are very close. Serena has one more grand slam but Steffi retired at the age of 30, where Serena had still been playing at the age of 35.
Serena has repeatedly refused to take drug tests, has been "unavailable", etc. She even called the cops on the drug testing lab that showed up to test her. She has avoided it at all costs and the WTA has turned a blind eye to it. Oh, and Sharapova gets a 16 month suspension for taking a prescription drug for multiple years that just went on the banned substance list.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:

Meh, Navratilova was pretty dominant in her day, but I would give the edge to Serena. It would be an interesting matchup. These arguments are always fun though. For instance, I think the 88-89 Pistons would kill Golden State in a theoretical matchup. In fact, any championship team from that era would kill the teams playing now. The same applies for the Bulls or Kobe/Shaq edition of the Fakers. But it would have to be legitimate basketball. Not the foo-foo style the league currently plays.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Meh, Navratilova was pretty dominant in her day, but I would give the edge to Serena. It would be an interesting matchup. These arguments are always fun though. For instance, I think the 88-89 Pistons would kill Golden State in a theoretical matchup. In fact, any championship team from that era would kill the teams playing now. The same applies for the Bulls or Kobe/Shaq edition of the Fakers. But it would have to be legitimate basketball. Not the foo-foo style the league currently plays.
You mean playing by the written rules re palming, traveling, etc
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yes, I mean pro basketball used to be more fundamentally sound than it is today. They played defense, rotated the ball, and smacked people coming into the paint. There were no easy points. And yes, fouls were called. The league has become too streetballish and undisciplined. And hey, I like watching streetball, but that isn't the product the NBA should be presenting IMO.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yes, I mean pro basketball used to be more fundamentally sound than it is today. They played defense, rotated the ball, and smacked people coming into the paint. There were no easy points. And yes, fouls were called. The league has become too streetballish and undisciplined. And hey, I like watching streetball, but that isn't the product the NBA should be presenting IMO.
Golden State is anything but streetball. They would beat the Bad Boys Pistons because of their advantage in shooting 3s.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

A lot of those describe the warriors. They pass the ball, they play defense, and they defend the paint according to today's rules. The rules favor the offense, and you just can't defend the paint as aggressively as before. But, the Warriors are pretty good at it. I'd put Draymond against a lot of those Pistons.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Golden State is anything but streetball. They would beat the Bad Boys Pistons because of their advantage in shooting 3s.

Doubtful. That Pistons team had a great defense. Dumars, Zeke or Vinnie the Microwave Johnson would make Curry's existence very difficult on the perimeter. John Sally or Rodman (especially Rodman) would've given Durant fits anywhere not in the paint. In the paint, you've got Laimbeer and Mahorn, locking it down, so there would be no strolling down the lane against that group.

On any given night, one or all of Aguirre, Zeke, Dumars or Johnson might catch on fire scoring. Plus, Laimbeer could swing outside score with alarming consistency. On top of that they were a smart, gritty team that had to play the Celtics, Lakers and his Airness Jordan. Who have the Warriors played, Kyrie and Lebron?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:

Doubtful. That Pistons team had a great defense. Dumars, Zeke or Vinnie the Microwave Johnson would make Curry's existence very difficult on the perimeter. John Sally or Rodman (especially Rodman) would've given Durant fits anywhere not in the paint. In the paint, you've got Laimbeer and Mahorn, locking it down, so there would be no strolling down the lane against that group.

On any given night, one or all of Aguirre, Zeke, Dumars or Johnson might catch on fire scoring. Plus, Laimbeer could swing outside score with alarming consistency. On top of that they were a smart, gritty team that had to play the Celtics, Lakers and his Airness Jordan. Who have the Warriors played, Kyrie and Lebron?
I'll put it this way. Under 1980s rules, the Pistons beat the Warriors. Under today's rules, other way around.

As for the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls, they came around when the Lakers and Celtics were at the end of their great eras, and the Bulls were just getting ready to go on a roll. The Pistons never beat the great Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls teams. Heck, the 2004 Pistons may have been a better D team than the bad boys.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

vtrider wrote:

Right, I have never been arrested for DUI, therefore I have never drank a beer, yep.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
vtrider wrote:

Serena has repeatedly refused to take drug tests, has been "unavailable", etc. She even called the cops on the drug testing lab that showed up to test her. She has avoided it at all costs and the WTA has turned a blind eye to it. Oh, and Sharapova gets a 16 month suspension for taking a prescription drug for multiple years that just went on the banned substance list.

Annnnnnddddd Serena is 200 pounds and squats more than an offensive lineman...it's not that hard folks...