FAKE NEWS! media: gap years not just for college students

Post by nolanvt »

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Re: FAKE NEWS! media: gap years not just for college student

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

The difference being, they are supporting themselves while they decide what to do next in their life (usually one where they have already been successful). They are not living in mom's basement, being covered by their parent's insurance and running up their parent's credit cards (after using their parent's money, or our tax money when they decide not to pay off their student loans, to pay for their gender studies degree).
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Yeah, the boomers are objectively almost as bad as the millenials on the whole. They raised the millenials, after all.

These stories are all about people who should already be retired or making final preparations for retirement, but aren't.

This is my favorite one:
Kathleen Baskin was a 55-year-old empty nester when she left her job last summer as director of water policy for the state of Massachusetts to enroll in a one-year master’s program for midcareer professionals at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard.

The Harvard program represented a considerable investment: Ms. Baskin paid $50,000 in tuition, and left a position where she had earned $100,000 annually. She converted unused vacation time into pay that covered about a quarter of her expenses for the year, and funded the rest from savings and a loan and by reducing expenses.
Taking out loans for tuition and living expenses at almost 60? Why not just burn the money instead? I wonder how many years this will set back her retirement?
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I am thinking about doing something like this. I will be fully vested in about 7 months in my current gig, so I will have earned the majority of my upside. I have other stock grants, but not at pennies per share like the one I got when the company was tiny.

So, I was thinking that my next move would be to start my own deal, raise money, etc. I am thinking about going to one of those code boot camps just to freshen up my skills and give me the ability to have a v1.0 instead of a PowerPoint when I raise money.

Going to think long and hard about this over the fall and winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila