Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Getting Fake News Reports

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:YepImage

Because they took advantage of the system. they were betting they wouldn't break a leg(sudden trauma) and if they got cancer, they'd say they were laid off and would jump on the plan. My very democrat mother even thinks that if you opt out of health insurance and you get cancer, tough luck. You get to pay out of pocket or hope it doesn't spread until the next open enrollment comes around.

A big problem with obamacare and the people electing to not get insurance is that in the case of catastrophic illness that occurs over a long time frame, they can get the insurance after they find out they are sick.
Aka followed the law. They're the people the democrats think were clamoring for health insurance when they opted out of it by choice. And now pay a fine, it's a garbage system.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: ... companies have the freedom to choose...Hence the issue.
Not that this needs to be said, but....

You're arguing to take away a person's freedom to choose in order to take away a company's freedom to choose. On what planet is that the moral choice again?
It's not complete freedom of choice currently. Most people are tied to their health insurance in similar ways that they're tied to their 'choice' of ISP.

Secondly, freedom of choice isn't available to everyone in the market-based scenario. In fact, they may not have any choices available to them if they have pre-existing conditions (or lack the funds to pay for insurance that covers certain treatments). Choice is available to the wealthy, I'll grant you that.
You're seriously trying to split hairs over individual healthcare providers available to someone as an argument to take away all choice? The choice I'm talking about is the choice to be seen when, by whom, and in a manner/expected outcome approved by you.

I'm not bullshitting you, I'm speaking from experience. I used the Tricare for years. It's probably the best public healthcare system in the world (and it costs taxpayers a TON of money)...and it still sucks. Inefficiencies everywhere. Taking my daughter to the hospital for her shots took an entire day. Prescriptions? People literally bring books waiting for the 200 people in front of them to be served. Surgery? Call on the first day of the month only to learn that all days are booked for the month - call back next month....repeat 4 months and get told to just go to the ER.

When my daughter had a rare health issue, I took her to Johns Hopkins where she was treated by one of a handful of doctors in the world doing the procedure she had done. If she had been treated by the Navy, it would have left her in a debilitated state. I had to pay out of my own pocket, but it was worth 100x whatever I paid. This is what's special about the health system in America. This is the choice you're trying to take from people like me. That's immoral.
ElbertoHokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Independent

Post by ElbertoHokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Because they took advantage of the system. they were betting they wouldn't break a leg(sudden trauma) and if they got cancer, they'd say they were laid off and would jump on the plan. My very democrat mother even thinks that if you opt out of health insurance and you get cancer, tough luck. You get to pay out of pocket or hope it doesn't spread until the next open enrollment comes around.

A big problem with obamacare and the people electing to not get insurance is that in the case of catastrophic illness that occurs over a long time frame, they can get the insurance after they find out they are sick.
Aka followed the law. They're the people the democrats think were clamoring for health insurance when they opted out of it by choice. And now pay a fine, it's a garbage system.
Hey the people did nothing wrong. But if you don't sign up to insurance, you shouldn't get a "get out of jail free card" if suddenly diagnosed with ALS or some other horrible disease. The reason insurance rates stay low is due to healthy people buying into the policies and not using them to their fullest extent. If that doesn't happen, then everything goes bonkers.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ElbertoHokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ElbertoHokie wrote:

Hey the people did nothing wrong. But if you don't sign up to insurance, you shouldn't get a "get out of jail free card" if suddenly diagnosed with ALS or some other horrible disease. The reason insurance rates stay low is due to healthy people buying into the policies and not using them to their fullest extent. If that doesn't happen, then everything goes bonkers.
No kidding. So why would you want to force this on everyone? It's not your decision.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

VisorBoy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
VisorBoy wrote: ... companies have the freedom to choose...Hence the issue.
Not that this needs to be said, but....

You're arguing to take away a person's freedom to choose in order to take away a company's freedom to choose. On what planet is that the moral choice again?
It's not complete freedom of choice currently. Most people are tied to their health insurance in similar ways that they're tied to their 'choice' of ISP.

Secondly, freedom of choice isn't available to everyone in the market-based scenario. In fact, they may not have any choices available to them if they have pre-existing conditions (or lack the funds to pay for insurance that covers certain treatments). Choice is available to the wealthy, I'll grant you that.
ISP's exist in virtual monopoly status in many communities (thanks Uncle Sugar!). How is giving the government a monopoly over our healthcare any different?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson