Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Food Poisoning at Chipotle in Sterling VA

Post by Techmomof2 »

http://dennismichaellynch.com/chipotle- ... -get-sick/

Chipotle is in public relations crisis control mode this week, after being forced to close one of its restaurants after multiple reports of customers getting sick.

Eight reports were made to iwaspoisoned.com this weekend, all from customers who ate at the Chipotle in Sterling, Virginia, on Friday or Saturday. In total, 13 customers reported symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, and dehydration to the website. Customers said they “vomited violently” for several days with fever and extreme dizziness. One report mentioned two people were hospitalized as a result of their illnesses.

“Friday 7/14 Daughter and friends went to Chipotle,” one customer wrote on iwaspoisoned.com. By the next morning, the daughter was “violently sick, puking, diarrhea, severe pain, overnight into Sunday.” The customer added, “Friends ill as well with one friend also in ER.”

Chipotle told Business Insider they are working hard to sanitize the store and that the health issue isn’t related to their food source. Apparently, the symptoms are consistent with Norovirus.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Food Poisoning at Chipotle in Sterling VA

Post by awesome guy »

But it's GMO free diarrhea and vomiting!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:http://dennismichaellynch.com/chipotle- ... -get-sick/

Chipotle is in public relations crisis control mode this week, after being forced to close one of its restaurants after multiple reports of customers getting sick.

Eight reports were made to iwaspoisoned.com this weekend, all from customers who ate at the Chipotle in Sterling, Virginia, on Friday or Saturday. In total, 13 customers reported symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, and dehydration to the website. Customers said they “vomited violently” for several days with fever and extreme dizziness. One report mentioned two people were hospitalized as a result of their illnesses.

“Friday 7/14 Daughter and friends went to Chipotle,” one customer wrote on iwaspoisoned.com. By the next morning, the daughter was “violently sick, puking, diarrhea, severe pain, overnight into Sunday.” The customer added, “Friends ill as well with one friend also in ER.”

Chipotle told Business Insider they are working hard to sanitize the store and that the health issue isn’t related to their food source. Apparently, the symptoms are consistent with Norovirus.
yea, their stock is getting pummelled
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Maybe millennials that think a 1500 calorie burrito is "healthy" and hip will avoid this place now. Football size burritos are cooler and "healthier" than redneck mcdonalds though, so I doubt it. LOL
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Going down the crapper
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Sounds like someone needs...

FireFuente
Alma Mater: VT

Post by FireFuente »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Good buying opportunity? You know the crowds will return and that stock will probably go back up.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

FireFuente wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:

Good buying opportunity? You know the crowds will return and that stock will probably go back up.
I don't know, the restr industry is fickle and they got hurt bad by the last go round, then this one, not sure they keep recovering
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

They've had problems before. Article is from 2015. I won't eat there. Not sure they've ever pinpointed the source of the problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chi ... 377b235b0d

At least 120 Boston College students who ate at a local Chipotle last weekend have been sickened in an outbreak of the highly contagious norovirus, the most common cause of food-related disease outbreaks in the U.S.

It was already a tough year for the fast-casual burrito chain. At last count, 52 people across nine states have also been sickened by a separate Chipotle-connected outbreak of E. coli. This illness, distinct from norovirus, is caused by consuming food contaminated with E. coli bacteria, leading to symptoms that include diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, according to the Mayo Clinic.

In addition to the E. coli and Boston norovirus outbreaks, Chipotle is facing lawsuits from a previous norovirus infection in California and a salmonella outbreak in Minnesota in August that affected at least 64 people.
CWHOKIECPA
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

Techmomof2 wrote:They've had problems before. Article is from 2015. I won't eat there. Not sure they've ever pinpointed the source of the problem.

At least 120 Boston College students who ate at a local Chipotle last weekend have been sickened in an outbreak of the highly contagious norovirus, the most common cause of food-related disease outbreaks in the U.S.

It was already a tough year for the fast-casual burrito chain. At last count, 52 people across nine states have also been sickened by a separate Chipotle-connected outbreak of E. coli. This illness, distinct from norovirus, is caused by consuming food contaminated with E. coli bacteria, leading to symptoms that include diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, according to the Mayo Clinic.

In addition to the E. coli and Boston norovirus outbreaks, Chipotle is facing lawsuits from a previous norovirus infection in California and a salmonella outbreak in Minnesota in August that affected at least 64 people.
The Norovirus is a foodborn illness? I didn't think that was the case. I thought it spread like the flu, not through food.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

CWHOKIECPA wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:They've had problems before. Article is from 2015. I won't eat there. Not sure they've ever pinpointed the source of the problem.

The Norovirus is a foodborn illness? I didn't think that was the case. I thought it spread like the flu, not through food.
Feces contaminated food.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Feces contaminated food.
Dirty hippies.
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

I've had food poisoning one time. That's more than enough for me. It felt like someone was twisting a knife in my gut.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
CWHOKIECPA
Party: In your Moms mouth

Post by CWHOKIECPA »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CWHOKIECPA wrote:

Feces contaminated food.
Oh. That's nice.
My women clients think I'm so sweet.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

And in Dallas, TX:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Rodent ... 76763.html

Some diners at a Dallas Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant said their lunch was ruined by rodents falling from the ceiling on Tuesday.

Patrons captured cellphone video inside the Chipotle restaurant on North Market Street in the West End area, showing rodents crawling around the floor and one climbing up the wall. Customers claimed the rodents fell from the ceiling.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I got food poisoning once and signed up for iwaspoisoned.com

I have to tell you, 1 out of every 2 complaints on the site is for a Chipotle. It made me stop going.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Techmomof2 wrote:And in Dallas, TX:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Rodent ... 76763.html

Some diners at a Dallas Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant said their lunch was ruined by rodents falling from the ceiling on Tuesday.

Patrons captured cellphone video inside the Chipotle restaurant on North Market Street in the West End area, showing rodents crawling around the floor and one climbing up the wall. Customers claimed the rodents fell from the ceiling.
yes, but the rodents were gluten free
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Loved the opportunity to get buy one get one free as a result. I'll keep eating it. Sadly there was still a line. I guess people are smart enough to know that it is a local incident, give the "restaurant" a good cleaning and they'll be good.
People who know, know.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

TheH2 wrote:

Loved the opportunity to get buy one get one free as a result. I'll keep eating it. Sadly there was still a line. I guess people are smart enough to know that it is a local incident, give the "restaurant" a good cleaning and they'll be good.
I really don't even like Mexican food so if I do eat it, group decides to have it, we have other more authentic Mexican restaurants rather than a Chain. Being a Micro major, food safety is paramount and I don't usually give anyone a second chance on that.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Techmomof2 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

I really don't even like Mexican food so if I do eat it, group decides to have it, we have other more authentic Mexican restaurants rather than a Chain. Being a Micro major, food safety is paramount and I don't usually give anyone a second chance on that.
Seriously, what is authentic Mexican? Two people I've worked with from Mexico claim it is different things. One swears authentic Mexican would use melted cheese. The other says that's not the case. Here's my interpretation of authentic Mexican - corn tortillas and pico de gallo (which Chipotle sort of has) or salsa verde. Basically fajitas. So a burrito is certainly not authentic but nor is anything with a hard shell or flour.

With that said, I don't go to Chipotle because I think it is Mexican food, I go because it tastes good. Oh, and there guacamole is good.
People who know, know.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

Techmomof2 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

TheH2 wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:
TheH2 wrote:

Seriously, what is authentic Mexican? Two people I've worked with from Mexico claim it is different things. One swears authentic Mexican would use melted cheese. The other says that's not the case. Here's my interpretation of authentic Mexican - corn tortillas and pico de gallo (which Chipotle sort of has) or salsa verde. Basically fajitas. So a burrito is certainly not authentic but nor is anything with a hard shell or flour.

With that said, I don't go to Chipotle because I think it is Mexican food, I go because it tastes good. Oh, and there guacamole is good.
Well, I'm a cilantro hater which rules out most of the Chain restaurant food. It's pre-mixed in many items and cannot be omitted such as in their guacamole (but I do make that at home exactly as I like it. There are a few 'mom and pop' type restaurants where everything is freshly made and can be customized. Also 'refried' bean mush is not appetizing in any way, sight, smell, or taste. I chalk that up to working in hospitals too long. :)
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

My idea of "Authentic Mexican" is something that would give you explosive diarrhea. Nothing says South of the Border like a little feces in your lettuce.

So, Chipotle knows their Mexican in my opinion.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

Chipotle Corporate Sabotage Theory Returns, a boon for Short sellers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ry-returns

Yet another outbreak of foodborne illness last week at Chipotle Mexican Grill did what it usually does to the burrito chain: The stock price plummeted. It's bad news—particularly for the patrons who got sick—but it's a boon for anyone that had the foresight to short the stock.

The latest outbreak was first noted by iwaspoisoned.com, a website that crowdsources reports of customer illnesses following visits to restaurants. The goal, it says, is "safer food, safer communities and a healthier economy." Yet, as Bloomberg reported last week, hedge funds looking to profit from others' bad luck can also access a "souped up" version of the site for a $5,000 monthly fee.

Aaron Allen, principal at Aaron Allen & Associates, a restaurant industry consultancy, posited in a LinkedIn post on Monday morning that the Chipotle illness might not just be a matter of luck. "A lot of things stacked up that made it suspicious," he told Bloomberg in an interview on Monday, "and when you look at it from a statistical point of view, even more suspicious." His group has no financial interest in the chain, Allen said, and he has previously lauded the chain's pre-scandal marketing.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:My idea of "Authentic Mexican" is something that would give you explosive diarrhea. Nothing says South of the Border like a little feces in your lettuce.

So, Chipotle knows their Mexican in my opinion.
You too can be an expert. :mrgreen:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+authentic+mexican
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

Techmomof2 wrote:Chipotle Corporate Sabotage Theory Returns, a boon for Short sellers

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ry-returns

Yet another outbreak of foodborne illness last week at Chipotle Mexican Grill did what it usually does to the burrito chain: The stock price plummeted. It's bad news—particularly for the patrons who got sick—but it's a boon for anyone that had the foresight to short the stock.

The latest outbreak was first noted by iwaspoisoned.com, a website that crowdsources reports of customer illnesses following visits to restaurants. The goal, it says, is "safer food, safer communities and a healthier economy." Yet, as Bloomberg reported last week, hedge funds looking to profit from others' bad luck can also access a "souped up" version of the site for a $5,000 monthly fee.

Aaron Allen, principal at Aaron Allen & Associates, a restaurant industry consultancy, posited in a LinkedIn post on Monday morning that the Chipotle illness might not just be a matter of luck. "A lot of things stacked up that made it suspicious," he told Bloomberg in an interview on Monday, "and when you look at it from a statistical point of view, even more suspicious." His group has no financial interest in the chain, Allen said, and he has previously lauded the chain's pre-scandal marketing.
LOL, my co-workers and I were joking that instead of doing the negative news stories , a hedge fund hired someone to smear poop all over Chipotle.

Hedge funds also purchase twitter information, satellite images of Walmart, user credit card information, and other various bits of information. All for returns that don't justify the 2 and 20 fee.
People who know, know.