Math is hard...and racist.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Math is hard...and racist.

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

What do you do if you don't get enough people of a certain skin color to attend an institution? You lower the standards to help them get into said institution of course.

Because its the standards that are racist, not the belief that people of certain skin colors can meet the standards.

====================================

California College Chancellor Wants To Abolish Algebra Requirement, Calls It A ‘Civil Rights Issue’
Rob Shimshock
10:39 PM 07/20/2017

The chancellor of California’s community college system said he wants to abolish the college algebra requirement and called it a “civil rights issue” in a Wednesday interview.

Eloy Ortiz Oakley, chancellor of California Community Colleges, made the argument while speaking with NPR. He pegged algebraas overly burdensome due to the disproportionate rate at which it prevents students from graduating from community colleges; nearly 50 percent of community college students do not complete their math requirement.

“This is a civil rights issue, but this is also something that plagues all Americans — particularly low-income Americans,” said Oakley. “If you think about all the underemployed or unemployed Americans in this country who cannot connect to a job in this economy — which is unforgiving of those students who don’t have a credential — the biggest barrier for them is this algebra requirement. It’s what has kept them from achieving a credential.”

NPR suggested that Oakley was trying to improve the California community college graduation rate, pointing out that less than half of the system’s students transfer to a four-year college or obtain an associate’s degree from the community college within six years. But the chancellor denied this implication.

“Since the 1950s, we decided that the only measure of a student’s ability to reason or to do some sort of quantitative measure is algebra,” said Oakley. “What we’re saying is we want as rigorous a course as possible to determine a student’s ability to succeed, but it should be relevant to their course of study.”

The chancellor said that other higher education institutions, such as the Carnegie Foundation and the University of Texas, were pondering the change. He suggested that statistics could replace algebra as a new requirement.

“[Statistics] is a skill that we should have all of our students have with them because this affects them in their daily life.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/20/calif ... hts-issue/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Math is hard...and racist.

Post by nolanvt »

Reading is key. He wants to replace algebra with something that's more useful. I'm an accountant and I can't tell you the last time I knowingly used algebra. Statistics would be far more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

You use algebra every day but just don't recognize it
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

C=p x (1+r)... the cost of an item (C) equals its price (p) times 1 plus the sales tax rate (r).

Or how about t=.2p? The amount of the tip you should leave (t) equals 20% of the price (p) of your meal?

You use algebra all the time.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Hokie CPA wrote:C=p x (1+r)... the cost of an item (C) equals its price (p) times 1 plus the sales tax rate (r).

Or how about t=.2p? The amount of the tip you should leave (t) equals 20% of the price (p) of your meal?

That's at a very basic level that people would otherwise associate with simple multiplication (i.e. what's my bill times 20%?). The algebra that's taught in college that I'm comparing to is a wee bit tougher than that.

Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

nolanvt wrote:
Hokie CPA wrote:C=p x (1+r)... the cost of an item (C) equals its price (p) times 1 plus the sales tax rate (r).

That's at a very basic level that people would otherwise associate with simple multiplication (i.e. what's my bill times 20%?). The algebra that's taught in college that I'm comparing to is a wee bit tougher than that.

I wouldn't know. I never took algebra in college. I was done with algebra after tenth grade. I took elementary calculus with matrices in college and aced it cuz I'd had two years of calculus in high school.
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Reading is key. He wants to replace algebra with something that's more useful. I'm an accountant and I can't tell you the last time I knowingly used algebra. Statistics would be far more useful.

its basic math, if you have a college degree you should have those skills. Yes, you may never use it again but don't dumb down for the tards
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Reading is key. He wants to replace algebra with something that's more useful. I'm an accountant and I can't tell you the last time I knowingly used algebra. Statistics would be far more useful.

its basic math, if you have a college degree you should have those skills. Yes, you may never use it again but don't dumb down for the tards

So Nolan needs remedial math and reading, got it.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

Educational resources are finite. I'm okay with emphasizing something you'll apply more in the real world. I've long believed there should be more personal finance classes in high school and college. Of course, academia wouldn't like it that you would teach kids not to take out thousands on student loans for an Arts History degree. On the Bizarro UWS I frequent, this is a topic I'm criticized about on there because I believe loans should be given out to majors in accordance with their ability to repay.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:What do you do if you don't get enough people of a certain skin color to attend an institution? You lower the standards to help them get into said institution of course.

Because its the standards that are racist, not the belief that people of certain skin colors can meet the standards.

====================================

California College Chancellor Wants To Abolish Algebra Requirement, Calls It A ‘Civil Rights Issue’
Rob Shimshock
10:39 PM 07/20/2017

The chancellor of California’s community college system said he wants to abolish the college algebra requirement and called it a “civil rights issue” in a Wednesday interview.

Eloy Ortiz Oakley, chancellor of California Community Colleges, made the argument while speaking with NPR. He pegged algebraas overly burdensome due to the disproportionate rate at which it prevents students from graduating from community colleges; nearly 50 percent of community college students do not complete their math requirement.

“This is a civil rights issue, but this is also something that plagues all Americans — particularly low-income Americans,” said Oakley. “If you think about all the underemployed or unemployed Americans in this country who cannot connect to a job in this economy — which is unforgiving of those students who don’t have a credential — the biggest barrier for them is this algebra requirement. It’s what has kept them from achieving a credential.”

NPR suggested that Oakley was trying to improve the California community college graduation rate, pointing out that less than half of the system’s students transfer to a four-year college or obtain an associate’s degree from the community college within six years. But the chancellor denied this implication.

“Since the 1950s, we decided that the only measure of a student’s ability to reason or to do some sort of quantitative measure is algebra,” said Oakley. “What we’re saying is we want as rigorous a course as possible to determine a student’s ability to succeed, but it should be relevant to their course of study.”

The chancellor said that other higher education institutions, such as the Carnegie Foundation and the University of Texas, were pondering the change. He suggested that statistics could replace algebra as a new requirement.

“[Statistics] is a skill that we should have all of our students have with them because this affects them in their daily life.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/20/calif ... hts-issue/

Oakley should be fired. He's too stupid to be involved with education.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

This is one of the more retarded stances I've seen from nolan.

Nolan wants more anal and less algebra in the classroom. Then he wonders why people laugh at millennials.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:This is one of the more retarded stances I've seen from nolan.

Nolan wants more anal and less algebra in the classroom. Then he wonders why people laugh at millennials.
I don't think he realizes that algebra is a precursor of statistics.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

math.jpg
math.jpg (38.51 KiB) Viewed 822 times
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

It's typical Unusual stances.....
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

It's like you didn't read the thread. [emoji106]

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Comprehension and common sense is key.. He wants to replace Algebra with something "easier"- like hip hop studies or anthropology. Not more useful, easier, less strenuous, less difficult. use some common sense for once.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Algebra shows you can think logically and solve problems. All jobs that pay $$ are problem solving jobs(lawyer, engineer, surgeon, architect, programmer, accountant, etc).

If you can't do algebra, then you are a person who will manage a defined process in life. These are usually lower end jobs. My advice if you can't pass algebra is to do what my brother did. Move to Vegas and become a bartender. He does pretty well.
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Algebra shows you can think logically and solve problems. All jobs that pay $$ are problem solving jobs(lawyer, engineer, surgeon, architect, programmer, accountant, etc).

If you can't do algebra, then you are a person who will manage a defined process in life. These are usually lower end jobs. My advice if you can't pass algebra is to do what my brother did. Move to Vegas and become a bartender. He does pretty well.
It's kind of baffling. They start teaching algebra at the end of 2nd grade now. If you haven't mastered it by college...you don't need to be in college. Or high school for that matter.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Algebra shows you can think logically and solve problems. All jobs that pay $$ are problem solving jobs(lawyer, engineer, surgeon, architect, programmer, accountant, etc).

It's kind of baffling. They start teaching algebra at the end of 2nd grade now. If you haven't mastered it by college...you don't need to be in college. Or high school for that matter.
It's almost as if there's droves of people in college who have no business there.....
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

It's almost as if there's droves of people in college who have no business there.....
And they somehow find someone to loan them money for their not so well-deserved college education.
Vienna_Hokie
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

And they somehow find someone to loan them money for their not so well-deserved college education.
Yep....the same organization that forced mortgage companies to loan money to people who couldn't afford to buy houses and led to the crash of the economy.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
Bay_area_Hokie
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Can you imagine how evil you have to be to loan a stupid 18 year old $25k a year to get a degree in basket weaving from a crappy school? Pure evil.

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Can you imagine how evil you have to be to loan a stupid 18 year old $25k a year to get a degree in basket weaving from a crappy school? Pure evil.

For my opposition to this on Bizarro UWS, I'm labeled a white master who doesn't want to see kids educated. [emoji23]

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Can you imagine how evil you have to be to loan a stupid 18 year old $25k a year to get a degree in basket weaving from a crappy school? Pure evil.

For my opposition to this on Bizarro UWS, I'm labeled a white master who doesn't want to see kids educated. [emoji23]

Can anyone translate this?
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Can anyone translate this?
No.......that is weird.....and Unusual.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function