A mainstay of the progressive propaganda machine could end

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

A mainstay of the progressive propaganda machine could end

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

Lord let's all hope so! I'm so tired of Snopes declaring itself as the arbiter of truth, and then seeing so many liberal lemmings site them as some source to end all debate.

=========================================

July 25, 2017
Snopes.com claims it is in danger of shutting down
By Thomas Lifson

A murky struggle has erupted that, it is claimed, could torpedo a mainstay of the progressive propaganda machine. The left wing “fact checking” site Snopes.com says that it is fighting for its life and desperately needs donations, according to its founder David Mikkelson. As AT readers know all too well, Snopes has been known to twist facts and definitions to validate progressive tropes under the guise of neutral examination of the acts. Under this camouflage, Snopes was chosen by Facebook as a source of vetting for “fake news,” putting it in the position of censoring access to material on the biggest single source of news for Americans. For this reason, Snopes matters. A lot.

In a Gofundme post, Mikkelson sought half a million dollars from readers, but was extremely vague about what is at issue:
We had previously contracted with an outside vendor to provide certain services for Snopes.com. That contractual relationship ended earlier this year, but the vendor will not acknowledge the change in contractual status and continues to essentially hold the Snopes.com web site hostage. Although we maintain editorial control (for now), the vendor will not relinquish the site’s hosting to our control, so we cannot modify the site, develop it, or — most crucially — place advertising on it. The vendor continues to insert their own ads and has been withholding the advertising revenue from us.

Our legal team is fighting hard for us, but, having been cut off from all revenue, we are facing the prospect of having no financial means to continue operating the site and paying our staff (not to mention covering our legal fees) in the meanwhile.
For a site that purportedly is all about facts, this is awfully fact-free. Tech Crunch did some further digging:
…wading into the lawsuit and counter-lawsuit filed earlier this year, it’s clear things are far from straightforward, even if Snopes appears (warning: I am not a lawyer) to be… well, if not in the right, then perhaps less in the wrong. Here’s the story, as far as I can tell.

Snopes was founded in 1995 by David Mikkelson and Barbara Mikkelson, and ownership formalized in 2003 in Bardav Inc (Get it? Barbara + David = Bardav). Each had one share of the company. But in 2014 the two began divorce proceedings, which would of course necessitate negotiating ownership of their company and Snopes.

In August of 2015, Snopes entered a revenue-share/content and ad management agreement with a company called Proper Media, formed earlier that very year. In early 2016, Proper arranged to buy Barbara’s share of Bardav, replacing her as co-owner of the company. David Mikkelson attempted to kill the contract in spring of 2017 (wouldn’t you?), but Proper resisted, saying the terms of said contract were not fulfilled. In the meantime, it is apparently holding onto the site’s revenue and parts of its infrastructure.

To me this sounds like an opportunistic takeover, but in addition to not being a lawyer, I also am not a businessman, so possibly I’m just naive. At the same time, Proper alleges that Mikkelson misused company funds and inappropriately managed Bardav otherwise. In a statement issued after the publication of this article, Proper wrote:

“Today’s post only confirms Proper Media’s allegations that Mr. Mikkelson has drained the company’s bank accounts and is unable to operate Snopes profitably without Proper Media’s expertise and management.”
That divorce has led to some nasty accusations.

As of this writing, Snopes has raised over 90% of its goal: $457,479. The progs understand that their propaganda needs a veneer of legitimacy, and Snopes does the job for them.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... _down.html

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: A mainstay of the progressive propaganda machine could e

Post by awesome guy »

Nice, VB is going to be a lost puppy.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

They should have stuck to their bread and butter - disproving crazy old grandma / HooFighter email forwards.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:They should have stuck to their bread and butter - disproving crazy old grandma / HooFighter email forwards.
Aye...on that issue I'll give them their props.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:Lord let's all hope so! I'm so tired of Snopes declaring itself as the arbiter of truth, and then seeing so many liberal lemmings site them as some source to end all debate.
Which Snopes articles do you disagree with? It does a pretty good job on email hoaxes and scams.
Do justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VisorBoy wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:Lord let's all hope so! I'm so tired of Snopes declaring itself as the arbiter of truth, and then seeing so many liberal lemmings site them as some source to end all debate.
Which Snopes articles do you disagree with? It does a pretty good job on email hoaxes and scams.
On some, sure. On others, pure left wing hackery.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Which ones?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Which ones?
Off hand? I don't have a specific, and with this summer head cold, I'm not going to go over there and give you examples. Whenever they left urban legend territory and tiptoed into politics, they were far left. How's that? Just go over there, and read their political stuff. Left-left of left.
Salute the Marines
VisorBoy

Post by VisorBoy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Which ones?
Off hand? I don't have a specific, and with this summer head cold, I'm not going to go over there and give you examples. Whenever they left urban legend territory and tiptoed into politics, they were far left. How's that? Just go over there, and read their political stuff. Left-left of left.
Bummer on the head cold - prayers for a speedy recovery.

The reason I asked for the ones you disagreed with is because I'm curious what you define as left-wing non-facts parading as facts over there.

But I agree with you: taking a rest is slightly more important than digging into Snopes articles to answer my questions :)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Which ones?
Do me! Do me!

http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... es#p182608

This kind of disingenuous stuff is what they're known for when it comes to politics.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
VisorBoy wrote:
Which ones?
Bummer on the head cold - prayers for a speedy recovery.

The reason I asked for the ones you disagreed with is because I'm curious what you define as left-wing non-facts parading as facts over there.

But I agree with you: taking a rest is slightly more important than digging into Snopes articles to answer my questions :)
Thx!
Seriously. They are fine with Coca-Cola mythology, but crappy with ANYTHING even remotely political.
Salute the Marines