Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Roomba may be selling maps of your home

Post by Techmomof2 »

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/0 ... ers-homes/

iRobot, maker of the cat chariot-cum-auto-vacuum Roomba robot, is looking into selling maps of our homes to one of the Big Three companies behind artificially intelligent (AI) voice assistants – Google, Amazon and/or Apple.

What does the Roomba know about us? Well, the data points its higher-end models collect include your home’s floor plan, the rough dimensions of everything located on your floor, the areas of your home that require the most cleanup and hence likely see the most activity, how often you clean, and the distances between all your stuff.
TheH2

Re: Roomba may be selling maps of your home

Post by TheH2 »

Techmomof2 wrote:https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/0 ... ers-homes/

iRobot, maker of the cat chariot-cum-auto-vacuum Roomba robot, is looking into selling maps of our homes to one of the Big Three companies behind artificially intelligent (AI) voice assistants – Google, Amazon and/or Apple.

What does the Roomba know about us? Well, the data points its higher-end models collect include your home’s floor plan, the rough dimensions of everything located on your floor, the areas of your home that require the most cleanup and hence likely see the most activity, how often you clean, and the distances between all your stuff.
I have the 2nd highest model of Roomba - at least 3 years old and it is great. Dumbest thing I've ever turned on but it is great. There isn't a chance it knows anything about my floor plan but it is a wonderful investment. Presumably the newer ones are a little more intelligent. Now that my dog throws up randomly I don't get to use it as often since I don't want it vacuuming over her vomit while I'm gone.
People who know, know.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

TheH2 wrote:I have the 2nd highest model of Roomba - at least 3 years old and it is great. Dumbest thing I've ever turned on but it is great. There isn't a chance it knows anything about my floor plan but it is a wonderful investment. Presumably the newer ones are a little more intelligent. Now that my dog throws up randomly I don't get to use it as often since I don't want it vacuuming over her vomit while I'm gone.
Yup :!: Best purchase we ever made.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

Major Kong wrote:
TheH2 wrote:I have the 2nd highest model of Roomba - at least 3 years old and it is great. Dumbest thing I've ever turned on but it is great. There isn't a chance it knows anything about my floor plan but it is a wonderful investment. Presumably the newer ones are a little more intelligent. Now that my dog throws up randomly I don't get to use it as often since I don't want it vacuuming over her vomit while I'm gone.
Do you use it on wood floors? If so, which one? We got one a while back and it didn't pick up crap off the wood floors. Wondering if they've gotten better.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Of course this was a TMo2 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

We have the Neato that has square ends that gets more in the corners.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:Of course this was a TMo2 thread.

almost as predictable as a nolan gay victory thread
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:We have the Neato that has square ends that gets more in the corners.

Square houses are soooo 1990s. We all live in yurts now.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Amazed that our millennials have robots to clean their 700 sqft condos. That's lazy on a new level.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:Do you use it on wood floors? If so, which one? We got one a while back and it didn't pick up crap off the wood floors. Wondering if they've gotten better.
No carpet in the house...all wood floors and it does great.

Roomba Model 540. We got it at Sam's Club several years ago.

TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Major Kong wrote:
Do you use it on wood floors? If so, which one? We got one a while back and it didn't pick up crap off the wood floors. Wondering if they've gotten better.
I have the 770 (had the 760 but it took a tumble down the stairs and roomba replaced it with the latest model). It does a very good job on wood floors - it is important to keep the filters clean. The one downside is it doesn't do a great job picking up dirt/dog hair on the transition to an area rug. It has to hit it just right. So if you run your roomba daily it isn't an issue but if you run your roomba once then you will notice some missed spots.

I've also vacuumed with a Dyson and still had the roomba pick up dog hair.
People who know, know.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:We have the Neato that has square ends that gets more in the corners.

Square houses are soooo 1990s. We all live in yurts now.
No right angles :!:

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

TheH2 wrote:
Techmomof2 wrote:https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/0 ... ers-homes/

I have the 2nd highest model of Roomba - at least 3 years old and it is great. Dumbest thing I've ever turned on but it is great. There isn't a chance it knows anything about my floor plan but it is a wonderful investment. Presumably the newer ones are a little more intelligent. Now that my dog throws up randomly I don't get to use it as often since I don't want it vacuuming over her vomit while I'm gone.
It's definitely something they're working on. Their CEO was talking about it, in terms of mapping homes and using the maps to enable smarthome IoT devices to work better.
Seems pretty cool. Until a SWAT team invades your home and does it easily because they know everything about the interior, including your super clean bunker and panic room.
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

Can't imagine it would be big enough for our dog.

http://aboutpetlife.com/wp-content/uplo ... pdog-5.jpg
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Amazed that our millennials have robots to clean their 700 sqft condos. That's lazy on a new level.
Work smarter, not harder. Kind of like the generation that started to use those dang typing machines instead of writing everything out. [emoji41]

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Amazed that our millennials have robots to clean their 700 sqft condos. That's lazy on a new level.
Work smarter, not harder. Kind of like the generation that started to use those dang typing machines instead of writing everything out. [emoji41]

Paying $600 to clean a 2 bedroom place is just lazy. No wonder y'all can't afford cable.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Paying $600 to clean a 2 bedroom place is just lazy. No wonder y'all can't afford cable.
Who has a 2-bedroom condo in this thread?

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Who has a 2-bedroom condo in this thread?

Uh huh
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

Techmomof2 wrote:Can't imagine it would be big enough for our dog.

http://aboutpetlife.com/wp-content/uplo ... pdog-5.jpg
4 dogs, 5 cats, 1800ft² and no problems...best $299 ever. :mrgreen:

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

That's a beautiful dog TM02 [emoji240]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Techmomof2

Post by Techmomof2 »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:That's a beautiful dog TM02 [emoji240]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is a 'stock' photo of a Belgian Sheepdog - Groenandael. They all look alike. Ours is our 3rd. First one lived 18 1/2 years and grew up with our boys. Second had a heart problem and died at 7 months so we couldn't leave it there. Now, our third is 9 years old and has even longer hair than the one in the photo. In the Spring, I brush her and toss it in the air outside. The birds grab it before it hits the ground. It's like goose down.

I grew up with German Shepherds. I first saw the Belgians because I was friends with a few of the Philly Vice Squad after college and they all had them. It's an amazing breed and they do everything. They are loyal, protective pets, they track, they can detect drugs or explosives, they jump out of airplanes with the Military. You speak to them in full sentences. Crazy Guy and I spell sometimes and she's catching on. The puppies are not for the faint of heart. Full time job to socialize, train, and keep them busy. Ours has her own doggy life vest and rides the jet ski up front with Crazy Guy with her paws on the handle bars. She's big so there is an angle where he is not visible. It gets a great reaction from boaters and even the Lake police.

One story, There aren't many breeders but on our cruise and land tour of Alaska, we noticed there was one in Anchorage. Then we met a lady who won the Iditarod. Surprisingly their dogs are short haired and are born and live in the cold. I asked her if she ever used the Belgians. She laughed and said yes but the dog only ran with a loose leash. It wouldn't pull.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:Of course this was a TMo2 thread.

umm... gma had a blurb about it on tuesday morning I think
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:Do you use it on wood floors? If so, which one? We got one a while back and it didn't pick up crap off the wood floors. Wondering if they've gotten better.
No carpet in the house...all wood floors and it does great.

Roomba Model 540. We got it at Sam's Club several years ago.
our house is almost all wood floors also, I use the trusty broom
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, this is a no-brainer. People do a very poor job of valuing their time, or, their time is for some reason not very valuable to them. Hire house cleaners, deliver groceries, etc. Time is precious. Who cares if your place is 600 sf. If you're going to spend money on a vacuum get a robot and a "dust buster" and call it a day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... 62b6a00676
People who know, know.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

TheH2 wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Yeah, this is a no-brainer. People do a very poor job of valuing their time, or, their time is for some reason not very valuable to them. Hire house cleaners, deliver groceries, etc. Time is precious. Who cares if your place is 600 sf. If you're going to spend money on a vacuum get a robot and a "dust buster" and call it a day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... 62b6a00676
As you get older, you'll find that doing things is more enjoyable than watching things. 10 minutes vacuuming is 10 minutes not sitting around.