I'm not sure Proctor & Gamble thought this out very well...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

Re: I'm not sure Proctor & Gamble thought this out very well

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
And I'm not conflating them. P&G brands are not generally race-centric. Tide, Gillette, Pampers, Bounty, Charmin, Crest, Duracell, Downy? I'm sure they have some products and brands for specifc races, but in general, no.
You're going to have to decide whether P&G knows their demo....or are shirty at marketing.
Or....maybe P&G has a huge marketing outreach, and that video is a tiny piece of it.
How tiny is it now? The video is viral. Either their research shows a large majority of their customer base are black (doubt it), or they released this ad for an important demographic (>> "tiny") thinking that other groups wouldn't care. I think the latter is more likely and while the effects have yet to be seen, I think they overplayed their hand pandering to this demo.
It has gone viral?
And somma y'all don't think P&G can market?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
And I'm not conflating them. P&G brands are not generally race-centric. Tide, Gillette, Pampers, Bounty, Charmin, Crest, Duracell, Downy? I'm sure they have some products and brands for specifc races, but in general, no.
You're going to have to decide whether P&G knows their demo....or are shirty at marketing.
Or....maybe P&G has a huge marketing outreach, and that video is a tiny piece of it.
How tiny is it now? The video is viral. Either their research shows a large majority of their customer base are black (doubt it), or they released this ad for an important demographic (>> "tiny") thinking that other groups wouldn't care. I think the latter is more likely and while the effects have yet to be seen, I think they overplayed their hand pandering to this demo.
It has gone viral?

Look at the videos likes vs dislikes on YouTube.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
It has gone viral?
I'm starting to think you work for P&G :mrgreen:

When there are dozens of articles written about your commercial, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that people are talking about it.

You seem to think giant bureaucracies aren't capable of making mistakes. They do all the time (just look at the coke commercial which was pulled a few months ago). Group think is very real and this ad is a great example of it.
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

HokieJoe wrote:
BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:You guys think that cleaning, hygiene, and baby products are minority products? OK....
I'm not sure how many are made by Proctor & Gamble, but there are plenty of hair care products that only African Americans use.

Here, from Googling it, is Walgreens' selection of 277 products in the "Ethnic Hair Care" category:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ethni ... 0463-tier3

That has little if anything to do with how many of those products actually sell through. What's more, I'd bet dollars to donuts that company-wide, they average 10 or less of those products on their store shelves. It's the Amazon effect.
Some of the more obscure stuff may not be there, but if you walk down the hair products aisle, there is a lot of black hair product on the shelf.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Haven't looked at this video, but I think your white nationalism makes you are overly sensitive about these issues so to form any sort of benchmark in 2017. People like you like to be pissed because it's not 1952. Can't do much for that, so you are ignored.
There's a white nation? Is that one of the segregated race communities in NYC?
There's white nationlists Cap'n, and you are one of them. For that reason, I expect you would not like NYC. Stick to your gated suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Haven't looked at this video, but I think your white nationalism makes you are overly sensitive about these issues so to form any sort of benchmark in 2017. People like you like to be pissed because it's not 1952. Can't do much for that, so you are ignored.
There's white nationlists Cap'n, and you are one of them. For that reason, I expect you would not like NYC. Stick to your gated suburbs.

Oh, you're talking about something like Black Lives Matter, or La Raza, only for white people?

Yeah, I don't fit that description, sorry. It is funny that whites are the only group which can't be proud of their race, though.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Oh, you're talking about something like Black Lives Matter, or La Raza, only for white people?

Yeah, I don't fit that description, sorry. It is funny that whites are the only group which can't be proud of their race, though.
Whites have the most to be proud of, it's unfair!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

When there are dozens of articles written about your commercial, I'd say that's a pretty good indicator that people are talking about it.

You seem to think giant bureaucracies aren't capable of making mistakes. They do all the time (just look at the coke commercial which was pulled a few months ago). Group think is very real and this ad is a great example of it.
LOL... coming out of VT, I'd have loved a P&G job (but for the location).

In advertising, there is nothing better than being talked about. Nothing. The ad isn't egregiously bad. Are the politi-philes here looking at the ad the same way as the "masses"? Heck no. Remember... who primarily buys their products? You? No. Housewives? Oh yeah. Oh-very-much yeah.

As such, I just don't imagine Librium-addled housewives to see the ad the way you might. Soccer moms? Oprah diehards? "The View" watchers? Shoooot, son. They'll eat this up. And I'm not even tapping the northern liberal mindset yet.

People writing articles about an ad? #P&GWinning
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Not helping. . .

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Not helping. . .

helping what?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: There's a white nation? Is that one of the segregated race communities in NYC?

Not helping. . .

helping what?
USN's case.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
It has gone viral?
PG down today on social conservative backlash. The market has spoken.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

P&G has more problems in dealing with Nelson Peltz right now.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote: USN's case.

OK
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Not helping. . .

helping what?
IP's deeply ingrained self-hatred. :lol: Things like democracy, the western legal system and recognization of (intellectual) property rights are offensive to IP.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

BigDave wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
BigDave wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:You guys think that cleaning, hygiene, and baby products are minority products? OK....
I'm not sure how many are made by Proctor & Gamble, but there are plenty of hair care products that only African Americans use.

Here, from Googling it, is Walgreens' selection of 277 products in the "Ethnic Hair Care" category:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ethni ... 0463-tier3

That has little if anything to do with how many of those products actually sell through. What's more, I'd bet dollars to donuts that company-wide, they average 10 or less of those products on their store shelves. It's the Amazon effect.
Some of the more obscure stuff may not be there, but if you walk down the hair products aisle, there is a lot of black hair product on the shelf.
It depends upon where you live. That's why I said average company-wide.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

White Nationalist? Seriously?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
It has gone viral?

I'm sure there isn't a standard for going viral, but if the only place I've ever seen a video is UWS, I don't think that's "going viral".
And the only major sources that I can seen anything about it are national review and salon.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Correct.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: I'm sure there isn't a standard for going viral, but if the only place I've ever seen a video is UWS, I don't think that's "going viral".
And the only major sources that I can seen anything about it are national review and salon.
Do a search. There's pages of articles and blogs on it. It's also all over Youtube, twitter, etc.
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

USN_Hokie wrote:Do a search. There's pages of articles and blogs on it. It's also all over Youtube, twitter, etc.
Almost 500,000 results from a myriad of sources.

HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Correct.

Oh geez. Why are you posting here? ANTIFA needs you!
Major Kong

Post by Major Kong »

HokieJoe wrote:Oh geez. Why are you posting here? ANTIFA needs you!
Comic relief :?: :P

Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Exactly. I believe he's after them because their margins aren't all that great when pricing is 40% higher than competitors. At least that's what I heard on Sqawk Box last week.

Major Kong wrote:P&G has more problems in dealing with Nelson Peltz right now.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
It has gone viral?
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... yptr=yahoo