Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Techmomof2
Alma Mater: Penn State

Georgia Professor allows students to choose their grades

Post by Techmomof2 »

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9551

A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

Similarly, students who feel stressed by "group dynamics" are allowed to walk away from their groups without explanation, and will only be graded on "non-group work."

The professor acknowledges that "this policy might hinder the development of group skills and mastery of the class material," but says this is each student's own responsibility.
oaktonhokie

Re: Georgia Professor allows students to choose their grades

Post by oaktonhokie »

That's good. Preparing them for the real world.

And i wonder what low level mastery of a subject requires.

I wonder if the professor just got tired of grading papers and dealing with whiney students.

Techmomof2 wrote:http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9551

A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

Similarly, students who feel stressed by "group dynamics" are allowed to walk away from their groups without explanation, and will only be graded on "non-group work."

The professor acknowledges that "this policy might hinder the development of group skills and mastery of the class material," but says this is each student's own responsibility.
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Re: Georgia Professor allows students to choose their grades

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

My Calculus teacher in high school did the same thing one quarter. He asked everyone except the people who were slam dunk A students what they think they deserved. He wanted to see if people would focus on learning without the grade in the way. It was amazing how "honest" everyone was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila