Baker refuses to make cake for 9 y/o boy. Where's the SJWs?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Baker refuses to make cake for 9 y/o boy. Where's the SJWs?

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

I thought we were told that bakers are not allowed to refuse services to people if they are serving the public? Oh wait, let me guess, this is "different" because the left agrees with the bakers stance in this case.

=====================================================

Bakers refused to make pro-Trump birthday cake for 9-year-old boy: Report
By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times -
Monday, August 7, 2017

A boy whose letter to President Trump made national headlines last month reportedly wanted a pro-Trump cake for his birthday party, but his mother was unable to find a baker willing to fulfill the order.

At the July 26 White House press briefing, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders read a letter from a boy named Dylan who said Mr. Trump was his favorite president. When she later released the letter publicly, the boy’s last name was blacked out. The only identifying clue was that everyone called him “Pickle.”

The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

The Post reported that, when Dylan asked for a “Donald Trump cake” for his birthday, his mother “made him one herself, because she couldn’t find a bakery willing and able to do it.”

Michael P. Farris is president, CEO and general counsel of the Alliance Defending Freedom, the Christian legal group defending Jack Phillips, a Colorado baker who was sued by a gay couple for declining to make their same-sex wedding cake.

Mr. Farris wondered why bakers are allowed to decline to make birthday cakes supporting Mr. Trump, but not wedding cakes supporting same-sex marriage.

“Similarly here, cake shops declined Pickle’s order for conscience reasons,” Mr. Farris wrote in a blog post on Thursday. “Yet, no one on the Left is calling for legal action against the cake shops. And neither should anyone on the Right.”

“The fact is that these cake shops have freedom of speech,” he continued. “They have the right to decline to use their artistic talents to celebrate events or promote messages that violate their beliefs, even if it offends a nice little kid.”

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear Mr. Phillips’ case in June, and oral argument will likely be held in the term beginning this fall.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ke-9-year/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: Baker refuses to make cake for 9 y/o boy. Where's the S

Post by awesome guy »

Only liberals are allowed to have a conscious, ironically they're without one.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Remember, being Trump is not "normal"; being gay is though, thus the left will argue its OK not to make the Trump cake. Nolan is pro-business, so I'm sure he will side with the baker here too.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:Remember, being Trump is not "normal"; being gay is though, thus the left will argue its OK not to make the Trump cake. Nolan is pro-business, so I'm sure he will side with the baker here too.
Correct. Remember how we all praised the court system in the Kentucky t-shirt case? Well, this baker is protected for similar reasons here. Businesses like this should not be compelled to engage in political speech if they do not wish. Seems pretty simple to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:Remember, being Trump is not "normal"; being gay is though, thus the left will argue its OK not to make the Trump cake. Nolan is pro-business, so I'm sure he will side with the baker here too.
Correct. Remember how we all praised the court system in the Kentucky t-shirt case? Well, this baker is protected for similar reasons here. Businesses like this should not be compelled to engage in political speech if they do not wish. Seems pretty simple to me.

LOL. We remember the cake where you said to put them in a reeducation camp.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Baking a wedding cake for a couple getting married is not engaging in political activity.

Attempting to force proprietors to make t-shirts or bake cakes in accordance with your political agenda is generally invalid.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Baking a wedding cake for a couple getting married is not engaging in political activity.

Attempting to force proprietors to make t-shirts or bake cakes in accordance with your political agenda is generally invalid.

Nope. That thread and retarded statements like what you just said are what cemented your rep as a dimwit. It's comedy gold too as you're making the laughable claim that writing on a t-shirt is different speech than writing on a cake. LOL, can't buy entertainment like that.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Nope. That thread and retarded statements like what you just said are what cemented your rep as a dimwit. It's comedy gold too as you're making the laughable claim that writing on a t-shirt is different speech than writing on a cake. LOL, can't buy entertainment like that.
Political speech on a t-shirt is different than baking a wedding cake. ISYDU

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Political speech on a t-shirt is different than baking a wedding cake. ISYDU

Writing on a t-shirt is no different than writing in frosting on a cake, from a 1a standpoint. Are you inbred or something?
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I thought we were told that bakers are not allowed to refuse services to people if they are serving the public? Oh wait, let me guess, this is "different" because the left agrees with the bakers stance in this case.

Monday, August 7, 2017

A boy whose letter to President Trump made national headlines last month reportedly wanted a pro-Trump cake for his birthday party, but his mother was unable to find a baker willing to fulfill the order.

At the July 26 White House press briefing, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders read a letter from a boy named Dylan who said Mr. Trump was his favorite president. When she later released the letter publicly, the boy’s last name was blacked out. The only identifying clue was that everyone called him “Pickle.”

The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

The Post reported that, when Dylan asked for a “Donald Trump cake” for his birthday, his mother “made him one herself, because she couldn’t find a bakery willing and able to do it.”

Michael P. Farris is president, CEO and general counsel of the Alliance Defending Freedom, the Christian legal group defending Jack Phillips, a Colorado baker who was sued by a gay couple for declining to make their same-sex wedding cake.

Mr. Farris wondered why bakers are allowed to decline to make birthday cakes supporting Mr. Trump, but not wedding cakes supporting same-sex marriage.

“Similarly here, cake shops declined Pickle’s order for conscience reasons,” Mr. Farris wrote in a blog post on Thursday. “Yet, no one on the Left is calling for legal action against the cake shops. And neither should anyone on the Right.”

“The fact is that these cake shops have freedom of speech,” he continued. “They have the right to decline to use their artistic talents to celebrate events or promote messages that violate their beliefs, even if it offends a nice little kid.”

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear Mr. Phillips’ case in June, and oral argument will likely be held in the term beginning this fall.

I would have guessed that there were enough uneducated, unsuccessful white trash rednecks in NC for the mom to find a Trump supporter.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:Writing on a t-shirt is no different than writing in frosting on a cake, from a 1a standpoint. Are you inbred or something?
Bless your heart.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:Writing on a t-shirt is no different than writing in frosting on a cake, from a 1a standpoint. Are you inbred or something?
Bless your heart.

Bless your heart retard
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:I thought we were told that bakers are not allowed to refuse services to people if they are serving the public? Oh wait, let me guess, this is "different" because the left agrees with the bakers stance in this case.

Monday, August 7, 2017

I would have guessed that there were enough uneducated, unsuccessful white trash rednecks in NC for the mom to find a Trump supporter.

Exhibit A of why your side lost in November... and spare me the bullshit that you aren't really a Dem or didn't support Hillary, nobody believes that
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:

LOL.. yes of course, since the gay couple just went into the store and said, "One cake with Congrats on it in silver icing, please".. yes that is exactly what they said/did. haha you can't be this dumb.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

LOL.. yes of course, since the gay couple just went into the store and said, "One cake with Congrats on it in silver icing, please".. yes that is exactly what they said/did. haha you can't be this dumb.
What do you think they said?

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Monday, August 7, 2017

Exhibit A of why your side lost in November... and spare me the bullshit that you aren't really a Dem or didn't support Hillary, nobody believes that
I voted for Gary Johnson, but you necks should have gone with Jeb. I would have voted for him.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
Jack Galt
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: none of the above

Post by Jack Galt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote: The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

Reading is FUNdamental!

Nice try though. :lol:
"Russia? The 1980s are now calling to ask for their foreign policy back because the Cold War’s been over for 20 years.” - B. Obama

BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

That's not really how wedding cake selection works. You go in as a couple and taste the various flavors of cake that they can make and review the various designs they have in their portfolio.

I'm sure that they were only interested in this cake designer because they knew he would refuse and they could sue him - but it's not like you have to be trying to cause a scene for someone to know you're a gay couple.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

BigDave wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

That's not really how wedding cake selection works. You go in as a couple and taste the various flavors of cake that they can make and review the various designs they have in their portfolio.

I'm sure that they were only interested in this cake designer because they knew he would refuse and they could sue him - but it's not like you have to be trying to cause a scene for someone to know you're a gay couple.
The cake baker told them they'd sell one out of the display, just not decorate it. In Nolan's America, the first amendment stops at the pastry bag and involuntary labor begins.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Jack Galt wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote: The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

Reading is FUNdamental!

Nice try though. :lol:
You got me. California reads Carolina before coffee. California makes more sense with the story.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

What do you think they said?

You know the case so well, why don't you tell us what they said.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Florida Hokie
Party: Like a Rock Star

Post by Florida Hokie »

#1 - this story is absolute bullshit. The mother most certainly could find a baker to make that cake. She knows that certain people, ahem, will eat this story up.

#2 - the baker has every right to refuse this cake as he or she should have the right to refuse a gay wedding cake

Monday, August 7, 2017

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Florida Hokie wrote:#1 - this story is absolute bullshit. The mother most certainly could find a baker to make that cake. She knows that certain people, ahem, will eat this story up.

#2 - the baker has every right to refuse this cake as he or she should have the right to refuse a gay wedding cake

Monday, August 7, 2017

So you agree it's no different than the gay wedding cake.

If I recall, the gay couple singled this Christian bakery out for a cake even though they're not in the same state.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

USN_Hokie wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:#1 - this story is absolute bullshit. The mother most certainly could find a baker to make that cake. She knows that certain people, ahem, will eat this story up.

Monday, August 7, 2017

If I recall, the gay couple singled this Christian bakery out for a cake even though they're not in the same state.
Correct. They lived in Massachusetts. He offered to sell one out of his display cases, but, they got up, cursed him out and walked out the door.

These are works of art......
Attachments
IMG_2604.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG (359.2 KiB) Viewed 850 times
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Monday, August 7, 2017

Correct. They lived in Massachusetts. He offered to sell one out of his display cases, but, they got up, cursed him out and walked out the door.

These are works of art......
According to TrollingVT, the cake could self identify as a t-shirt and be ok to use their own freewill instead of being a slave to the state.