Baker refuses to make cake for 9 y/o boy. Where's the SJWs?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

Re: Baker refuses to make cake for 9 y/o boy. Where's the S

Post by Florida Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:So you agree it's no different than the gay wedding cake. .
Correct. I agree 100%
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

I agree with the baker. He should not have to decorate a cake in a way that offends him personally. I gave the example before of a black baker being asked to design a cake depicting a cross burning and lynching for the kkk.

But then there's the hypocrisy of the left...

Again.

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I thought we were told that bakers are not allowed to refuse services to people if they are serving the public? Oh wait, let me guess, this is "different" because the left agrees with the bakers stance in this case.

=====================================================

Bakers refused to make pro-Trump birthday cake for 9-year-old boy: Report
By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times -
Monday, August 7, 2017

A boy whose letter to President Trump made national headlines last month reportedly wanted a pro-Trump cake for his birthday party, but his mother was unable to find a baker willing to fulfill the order.

At the July 26 White House press briefing, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders read a letter from a boy named Dylan who said Mr. Trump was his favorite president. When she later released the letter publicly, the boy’s last name was blacked out. The only identifying clue was that everyone called him “Pickle.”

The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

The Post reported that, when Dylan asked for a “Donald Trump cake” for his birthday, his mother “made him one herself, because she couldn’t find a bakery willing and able to do it.”

Michael P. Farris is president, CEO and general counsel of the Alliance Defending Freedom, the Christian legal group defending Jack Phillips, a Colorado baker who was sued by a gay couple for declining to make their same-sex wedding cake.

Mr. Farris wondered why bakers are allowed to decline to make birthday cakes supporting Mr. Trump, but not wedding cakes supporting same-sex marriage.

“Similarly here, cake shops declined Pickle’s order for conscience reasons,” Mr. Farris wrote in a blog post on Thursday. “Yet, no one on the Left is calling for legal action against the cake shops. And neither should anyone on the Right.”

“The fact is that these cake shops have freedom of speech,” he continued. “They have the right to decline to use their artistic talents to celebrate events or promote messages that violate their beliefs, even if it offends a nice little kid.”

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear Mr. Phillips’ case in June, and oral argument will likely be held in the term beginning this fall.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ke-9-year/
If you bend over backwards long enough,
eventually you'll fall down.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:According to TrollingVT, the cake could self identify as a t-shirt and be ok to use their own freewill instead of being a slave to the state.
:lol:
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

Oak, I don't think there's a hypocrisy here as the reasoning is different in nature. One is based on sexual orientation, the other is not wanting to engage in political speech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

That's just silly. You decide that THIS issue is ok to discriminate, but not THAT issue?

Both issues are political.
Both issues are a matter of conscience.
Both issues are personal to the baker.

You cannot argue that your issues are more important than someone else's. Are gaze more important or sensitive or pervasive than taking a position on the leader of the free world? What if the gaze don't like trump's position on gaze?

A baker should not be forced to design a gay wedding cake. Or a cross burning and lynching. Or a cake to president trump.

But all business should be required to serve and sell to anyone, any item on the shelf in their stores.

nolanvt wrote:Oak, I don't think there's a hypocrisy here as the reasoning is different in nature. One is based on sexual orientation, the other is not wanting to engage in political speech.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:Oak, I don't think there's a hypocrisy here as the reasoning is different in nature. One is based on sexual orientation, the other is not wanting to engage in political speech.

[emoji23] , today's entertainment has been great!
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:That's just silly. You decide that THIS issue is ok to discriminate, but not THAT issue?

You cannot argue that your issues are more important than someone else's. Are gaze more important or sensitive or pervasive than taking a position on the leader of the free world? What if the gaze don't like trump's position on gaze?

A baker should not be forced to design a gay wedding cake. Or a cross burning and lynching. Or a cake to president trump.

But all business should be required to serve and sell to anyone, any item on the shelf in their stores.

Correct. Bakers baking a wedding cake is not political.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
oaktonhokie wrote:That's just silly. You decide that THIS issue is ok to discriminate, but not THAT issue?

LOL, that's not only stupid but also irrelevant. Free speech isn't carved around everything but the ghey. You're so special.
oaktonhokie

Post by oaktonhokie »

Come on nolan....

nolanvt wrote:

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

oaktonhokie wrote:Come on nolan....

nolanvt wrote:

To the people you're accusing of being hypocritical, they don't view bakers baking wedding cakes as a political issue, especially when comparing that to this situation.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

LOL, that's not only stupid but also irrelevant. Free speech isn't carved around everything but the ghey. You're so special.
It's the freedom of religion and those holding to it that will be persecuted politically by the gheys.....as this instance clearly was, based on personal interviews I heard during the time it took place. And just wait......Google will implement a rule stating you can't believe being ghey is a sin or you will be fired. It's coming. Nolan will laugh and say, no way that will ever happen and there is no slippery slope......
. as we are currently sliding down one right now. It's about submission to the left and all their little groups.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

HokieHam wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

It's the freedom of religion and those holding to it that will be persecuted politically by the gheys.....as this instance clearly was, based on personal interviews I heard during the time it took place. And just wait......Google will implement a rule stating you can't believe being ghey is a sin or you will be fired. It's coming. Nolan will laugh and say, no way that will ever happen and there is no slippery slope......
. as we are currently sliding down one right now. It's about submission to the left and all their little groups.
He'll say it's a "corporate policy" and argue around that while ignoring that they're also for making that the only legally acceptable "corporate policy". "It's a choice", in mafia boss voice.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:I thought we were told that bakers are not allowed to refuse services to people if they are serving the public? Oh wait, let me guess, this is "different" because the left agrees with the bakers stance in this case.

=====================================================

Bakers refused to make pro-Trump birthday cake for 9-year-old boy: Report
By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times -
Monday, August 7, 2017

A boy whose letter to President Trump made national headlines last month reportedly wanted a pro-Trump cake for his birthday party, but his mother was unable to find a baker willing to fulfill the order.

At the July 26 White House press briefing, Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders read a letter from a boy named Dylan who said Mr. Trump was his favorite president. When she later released the letter publicly, the boy’s last name was blacked out. The only identifying clue was that everyone called him “Pickle.”

The media scrambled to verify the letter’s authenticity, and the next day, The Washington Post confirmed it was sent by 9-year-old Dylan Harbin of California.

The Post reported that, when Dylan asked for a “Donald Trump cake” for his birthday, his mother “made him one herself, because she couldn’t find a bakery willing and able to do it.”

Michael P. Farris is president, CEO and general counsel of the Alliance Defending Freedom, the Christian legal group defending Jack Phillips, a Colorado baker who was sued by a gay couple for declining to make their same-sex wedding cake.

Mr. Farris wondered why bakers are allowed to decline to make birthday cakes supporting Mr. Trump, but not wedding cakes supporting same-sex marriage.

“Similarly here, cake shops declined Pickle’s order for conscience reasons,” Mr. Farris wrote in a blog post on Thursday. “Yet, no one on the Left is calling for legal action against the cake shops. And neither should anyone on the Right.”

“The fact is that these cake shops have freedom of speech,” he continued. “They have the right to decline to use their artistic talents to celebrate events or promote messages that violate their beliefs, even if it offends a nice little kid.”

The owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop in Lakewood, Colorado, Mr. Phillips declines to make cakes that go against his Christian beliefs, including those for bachelor’s parties or Halloween.

For refusing to make the same-sex wedding cake, he was ordered by the state’s Civil Rights Commission to undergo “re-education” training, change his store policies and file quarterly “compliance” reports for two years.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear Mr. Phillips’ case in June, and oral argument will likely be held in the term beginning this fall.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ke-9-year/
The biggest tragedy is this kid's terrible spelling. He spells like a 6 year old.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
The biggest tragedy is this kid's terrible spelling. He spells like a 6 year old.
So about average from the California public school system, then?
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Sure, Cali has a lot of crappy parents who don't give a crap about their kid's education. What's your point.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Sure, Cali has a lot of crappy parents who don't give a crap about their kid's education. What's your point.
I think you covered the bases.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
I think you covered the bases.
I FEEL like you're being COMBATIVE.