Oregon State University Now Offers “Fat Studies” Courses...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

Oregon State University Now Offers “Fat Studies” Courses...

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

...because “Weightism” is a Civil Rights Issue. So is it a "civil rights" issue when liberals fat shame Sarah Sanders or Rush Limbaugh? Or is that okay because they have different political views?

Pretty soon you will be able to get a Major in any demographic group that is not a straight white fit male.

And if you're not into dating fat chicks then you're just a bigoted fatphobe!

========================================

Oregon State University Now Offers “Fat Studies” Courses that Claim “Weightism” is a Civil Rights Issue
Matt Miller Aug 11th, 2017 2:35 am 53 Comments

Oregon State University is now offering “fat studies” courses to students. The courses regard the concept of “weightism” and “fatphobia” as a hot-button civil rights issue. The courses further examine how body weight, shape, and size play key roles in societal privilege and discrimination.

Details on the new courses via Breitbart:
The course will be taught by instructor Patti Lou Watkins, who penned an articlein European Health Psychologist, which argued that humans can be healthy at any body weight, an endorsement of the widely-panned “Health At Any Size” movement. Body size isn’t a good indicator of health, she argues. To Watkins, even individuals who can be classified as morbidly obese could be healthy.

Watkins also dismissed the effectiveness in dieting. “The validity of HAES is supported by research over the past decade that reveals the continued ineffectiveness of dieting interventions targeting weight loss along with the potential for harm associated with these strategies,” she writes. Surely, thousands of Americans who have lost weight and lowered their risk for certain medical conditions beg to differ with Watkin’s argument.

“I grew to embrace feminist pedagogy in terms of course content as well as classroom practices,” Watkins explains. “My course now frames body image disturbances more as a function of oppressive societal structures than of individual pathology.”
A separate course from Wakins’ entitled “Women, Weight, and Body Image,” examines “weightism” from the intersectionality perspective. This is suppose to mean that women who suffer from being overweight as well as being part of another minority group (black, trans, LGBTQ, etc) allegedly suffer from compounded discrimination.

This is a prime example of the downward spiral of the social justice movement. Once derived from the reasonable and powerful civil rights movement of the 20th century, it has now taken on an ugly form of its own, being used to make half baked excuses for the lazy, deviant, and self interested losers on the Left.
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/08 ... hts-issue/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Re: Oregon State University Now Offers “Fat Studies” Courses

Post by BigDave »

And I trust that the author of this book will be ostracized appropriately ... in a tolerant society, someone so bigoted would definitely never achieve anything like being elected to the US Senate.

Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

I've seen heavy people treated horribly...horribly!... for no other reason than being heavy.

"Civil rights" isn't always an ugly expression. It comes down to treating people well, and basing judgments upon actions & deeds, not appearances. Race, weight, gender, regional accent, etc...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

RiverguyVT wrote:I've seen heavy people treated horribly...horribly!... for no other reason than being heavy.

"Civil rights" isn't always an ugly expression. It comes down to treating people well, and basing judgments upon actions & deeds, not appearances. Race, weight, gender, regional accent, etc...
Of course you are right. The problem is that the "pro-fat" crowd isn't just arguing against discrimination - they are arguing against encouraging weight loss or healthy lifestyles. People shouldn't be shamed or ostracized ... but they shouldn't be told that overeating is healthy either.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:I've seen heavy people treated horribly...horribly!... for no other reason than being heavy.

What is the bigger disservice? To call a fat person fat, or pretend there's nothing wrong with them as they eat their way to diabeetus at 30?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

BigDave wrote:

Of course you are right. The problem is that the "pro-fat" crowd isn't just arguing against discrimination - they are arguing against encouraging weight loss or healthy lifestyles. People shouldn't be shamed or ostracized ... but they shouldn't be told that overeating is healthy either.
Yeah, being "pro fat" is an entirely different matter. There's a thin line a mile wide between "treat me with respect" and encouraging self destructive behavior.
+1
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote:

What is the bigger disservice? To call a fat person fat, or pretend there's nothing wrong with them as they eat their way to diabeetus at 30?
To call a fat person fat, depending upon how it's done. That can be waaay worse.
Someone walking by you in public minding their own business doesn't need to be told by a stranger to change his lifestyle.

Now. If a heavy friend says, "Hey, USN, what are some things I could do to be healthier?" that friend deserves honesty...again, as respect.

His heart disease issues are his...not mine. Can I help? Sure! But only if he wants me to. There are a variety of reasons people are overweight. Lifestyle choice being primary, but also there are very real thyroid issues & the like. Calories in, calories burned. Sometimes it is also very much an addiction like issue, similar to alcoholism, and can only be solved when that person is ready, willing, and able to act (not all can). Can I call that a form of illness? I think so. I'm not likely to call a guy out in traffic for having cancer.

Some of this is splinter/board in eye.
Salute the Marines
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

All this begs the question, when are smokers, alcoholics, and drug addicts going to demand their civil rights and their own course of studies?

I'm only half kidding, and I fully recognize that not all over-weight people are "fat" because they choose to be. There are genetics at play as well as thyroid issues in some cases.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
BigDave

Post by BigDave »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:All this begs the question, when are smokers, alcoholics, and drug addicts going to demand their civil rights and their own course of studies?

I'm only half kidding, and I fully recognize that not all over-weight people are "fat" because they choose to be. There are genetics at play as well as thyroid issues in some cases.
The national government says it is illegal to fire someone for being an alcoholic. If you can't fire someone for being sick and alcoholism is a disease, then you can't fire someone for being an alcoholic.

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/ada/ch4.htm

It seems patently ridiculous to me ... but most government rules are.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Salute the Marines
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
BigDave wrote:

Yeah, being "pro fat" is an entirely different matter. There's a thin line a mile wide between "treat me with respect" and encouraging self destructive behavior.
+1
It's the same thing. The only difference is a subjective line where someone becomes insulted
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
BigDave wrote:

+1
It's the same thing. The only difference is a subjective line where someone becomes insulted
Not the same.
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:...because “Weightism” is a Civil Rights Issue. So is it a "civil rights" issue when liberals fat shame Sarah Sanders or Rush Limbaugh? Or is that okay because they have different political views?

Pretty soon you will be able to get a Major in any demographic group that is not a straight white fit male.

And if you're not into dating fat chicks then you're just a bigoted fatphobe!

========================================

Oregon State University Now Offers “Fat Studies” Courses that Claim “Weightism” is a Civil Rights Issue
Matt Miller Aug 11th, 2017 2:35 am 53 Comments

Oregon State University is now offering “fat studies” courses to students. The courses regard the concept of “weightism” and “fatphobia” as a hot-button civil rights issue. The courses further examine how body weight, shape, and size play key roles in societal privilege and discrimination.

Details on the new courses via Breitbart:
The course will be taught by instructor Patti Lou Watkins, who penned an articlein European Health Psychologist, which argued that humans can be healthy at any body weight, an endorsement of the widely-panned “Health At Any Size” movement. Body size isn’t a good indicator of health, she argues. To Watkins, even individuals who can be classified as morbidly obese could be healthy.

Watkins also dismissed the effectiveness in dieting. “The validity of HAES is supported by research over the past decade that reveals the continued ineffectiveness of dieting interventions targeting weight loss along with the potential for harm associated with these strategies,” she writes. Surely, thousands of Americans who have lost weight and lowered their risk for certain medical conditions beg to differ with Watkin’s argument.

“I grew to embrace feminist pedagogy in terms of course content as well as classroom practices,” Watkins explains. “My course now frames body image disturbances more as a function of oppressive societal structures than of individual pathology.”
A separate course from Wakins’ entitled “Women, Weight, and Body Image,” examines “weightism” from the intersectionality perspective. This is suppose to mean that women who suffer from being overweight as well as being part of another minority group (black, trans, LGBTQ, etc) allegedly suffer from compounded discrimination.

This is a prime example of the downward spiral of the social justice movement. Once derived from the reasonable and powerful civil rights movement of the 20th century, it has now taken on an ugly form of its own, being used to make half baked excuses for the lazy, deviant, and self interested losers on the Left.
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/08 ... hts-issue/
the reality is the lady on the right is shortening her life span by alot of years and will run up huge medical bills before the weight kills her
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
BigDave wrote:

+1
Not the same.
There are two ways to externally motivate a person:

1. goverment laws.
2. societal norms & societal pressure

You're saying you want to live in a world where only the government can externally influence someone. To me, that's a pretty scary thing. What's worse:

A. Someone is called a fattie at school, is upset, and makes changes in their life.
B. Government denies you gallbladder surgery at age 38 because you have a BMI of 38.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

Unalienable Civil rights are intended for those things that you can't control..like your race, sex, age..that is the intent. Eating bon bons and doritos is a choice- plain and simple. If being obese is a mental disorder or disease, then why are obesity rates NIL in places like Japan, Denmark, Thailand?? Only american brains are affected by this? really? Or is it huge portions, delivered to you quickly on every corner for cheap? hmmm I wonder if that is why americans are fat? Being obese is not a civil right..cmon
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Because of the amount of material to cover wouldn't a course on Fat Studies need to be at least 2 semesters :?:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

CFB Apologist wrote:

Unalienable Civil rights are intended for those things that you can't control..like your race, sex, age..that is the intent. Eating bon bons and doritos is a choice- plain and simple. If being obese is a mental disorder or disease, then why are obesity rates NIL in places like Japan, Denmark, Thailand?? Only american brains are affected by this? really? Or is it huge portions, delivered to you quickly on every corner for cheap? hmmm I wonder if that is why americans are fat? Being obese is not a civil right..cmon
It's as much a civil right as my choice whether to go jogging or not. To wear short hair or long.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

USN_Hokie wrote: There are two ways to externally motivate a person:

1. goverment laws.

You're saying you want to live in a world where only the government can externally influence someone. To me, that's a pretty scary thing. What's worse:

A. Someone is called a fattie at school, is upset, and makes changes in their life.
B. Government denies you gallbladder surgery at age 38 because you have a BMI of 38.

You're saying you want to live in a world where only the government can
That's not what I said at all! LOL. :lol:

How about a choice C?
Leaving a free individual alone to make his own decisions about his life without necessarily subjecting him to ridicule for being different than another?
Salute the Marines
Vienna_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: libertarian

Post by Vienna_Hokie »

well....normal size chairs are now a micro-aggression

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/08/11/m ... riminatory

so if it is a civil rights issue should schools and public places be required to provide accommodation for fat people? A percent of chairs larger than normal and special extra wide parking places so fat people can get out of their cars easier? Where does this crap end? You want to be fat, fine be fat, but if you are unpleasant or nasty and playing the victim don't be surprised when people treat you like crap, just like anyone else. You don't get a pass on your behavior because your're fat.
Looks like the only thing 1984 got wrong was the date.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:

1. goverment laws.

How about a choice C?
Leaving a free individual alone to make his own decisions about his life without necessarily subjecting him to ridicule for being different than another?
So if your neighbor wanted to be free to decide to masturbate naked in the front yard every day when your kids came home from school, you'd be ok with that?

You're speaking in platitudes. You're better than that.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Just wait till we get single payer Riverguy. Fat people will have a bean and broccoli casserole sent to their house each by the gubbmint via Amazon drones. Cash will be outlawed and fat people's debit cards won't work at McDonalds. The cradle to grave managed life will be here before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Just wait till we get single payer Riverguy. Fat people will have a bean and broccoli casserole sent to their house each by the gubbmint via Amazon drones. Cash will be outlawed and fat people's debit cards won't work at McDonalds. The cradle to grave managed life will be here before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. And then you're basically a tax revenue battery for the government.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

1. goverment laws.

How about a choice C?
So if your neighbor wanted to be free to decide to masturbate naked in the front yard every day when your kids came home from school, you'd be ok with that?

Public masturbation vs. being overweight, same thing?

That has to be one of the silliest comparisons made on UWS. I don't understand why you think that's a reasonable scenario to compare to a fat person walking down the street.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

1. goverment laws.

How about a choice C?

Public masturbation vs. being overweight, same thing?

That has to be one of the silliest comparisons made on UWS. I don't understand why you think that's a reasonable scenario to compare to a fat person walking down the street.
Refer to the bolded text please. Riverguy made a generalization. I showed him how silly it was. No need to invent silly arguments.