Who here was in C'ville last night?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

Re: Who here was in C'ville last night?

Post by 133743Hokie »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Why are there so many people (or specifically, users on this board) so apt to make excuses and concessions for these white nationalists/nazis?!

It would be one thing if this event was actually just a small protest about the removal of the statues. There's actual debate that can be had about that. But like it or not, this past weekend was not about that.

The same was said about many of the BLM protests and I don't think it was completely unfounded but misguided. Those protests were still at its core about fighting back about the injustice (perceived or real) that minorities were feeling in this country. It got co-opted by some real assholes but at least those assholes were still, more or less, protesting about similar messages.

Not so much in this case, the messaging isn't "save our statues!" its "blood and soil!" Its waving the nazi flag. It's carrying torches. It's holding up shields with white supremacy symbology. And for some reason, many of you want to sympathize them?

I'm glad almost all of our leaders have been willing to call out this group specifically. It would be pretty spineless not too.
They wouldn't have been there if the city hadn't removed the statues. The statues ARE the reason this all occurred.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:Why are there so many people (or specifically, users on this board) so apt to make excuses and concessions for these white nationalists/nazis?!

It would be one thing if this event was actually just a small protest about the removal of the statues. There's actual debate that can be had about that. But like it or not, this past weekend was not about that.

The same was said about many of the BLM protests and I don't think it was completely unfounded but misguided. Those protests were still at its core about fighting back about the injustice (perceived or real) that minorities were feeling in this country. It got co-opted by some real assholes but at least those assholes were still, more or less, protesting about similar messages.

Not so much in this case, the messaging isn't "save our statues!" its "blood and soil!" Its waving the nazi flag. It's carrying torches. It's holding up shields with white supremacy symbology. And for some reason, many of you want to sympathize them?

I'm glad almost all of our leaders have been willing to call out this group specifically. It would be pretty spineless not too.
Please......do show us the "so many" here making excuses.......
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

The communists are loving the shirt out of this.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:The communists are loving the shirt out of this.
They lost a fellow communist yesterday so she's today's prop. The left never lets a tragedy go to waste. I'm also amused and not shocked that the liberals, and specifically the ones on this board, have yet to condemn the shooting of congressmen a couple months ago. Yet today they're rambling about Trump not going far enough when he called all of these groups violent, abhorrent, and wrong. They're shallow and petty people using tragedy as a political weapon. They see their fellow humans as tools and have the same compassion that everyone else does for a hammer, ie none.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Words, flags and symbols are perfectly acceptable forms of expression under our Constitution. Do you disagree? Or, do you actually think that violence from anyone against some groups is acceptable in a free society? Is it okay for ANTIFA/BLM to burn down/destroy property and commit acts of violence against protesters they disagree with?

I don't support violence from any party. It doesn't matter what their political stripe is. If NAZI's are looting, burning and committing acts of violence against others, you can bet your goddam bippy that I enthusiastically support cracking their skulls to maintain order. Peaceable assembly and free speech are protected by the Constitution- violence is not. The same applies to ANTIFA/BLM.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Cpt Jagdish
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: None of the above

Post by Cpt Jagdish »

USN_Hokie wrote:

Maybe you should provide some examples, because I haven't seen anyone defend nazis...unless you think anyone who supports Trump or is against antifa / BLM (BLM and La Raza are no different than skinheads neo-nazi groups by the way. They're all racist organizations who want an ethno state. They just disagree on the color.)

Can I provide one? And I didn't say defend, only AG was quick to defend. I said make excuses and concessions. I just recently saw a thread where someone found equal fault in the protestors for getting mowed over by a car, even going as far as saying that the victim died for overreacting to a car deliberately trying to murder a group of people. ""Everyone in that video has some responsibility for this." A concession that hey...the driver can be found fully at fault for his actions.

Here's the link: http://uwsboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22809
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Maybe you should provide some examples, because I haven't seen anyone defend nazis...unless you think anyone who supports Trump or is against antifa / BLM (BLM and La Raza are no different than skinheads neo-nazi groups by the way. They're all racist organizations who want an ethno state. They just disagree on the color.)

Can I provide one? And I didn't say defend, only AG was quick to defend. I said make excuses and concessions. I just recently saw a thread where someone found equal fault in the protestors for getting mowed over by a car, even going as far as saying that the victim died for overreacting to a car deliberately trying to murder a group of people. ""Everyone in that video has some responsibility for this." A concession that hey...the driver can be found fully at fault for his actions.

LOL. It's amusing how you equate obtaining facts with defending. I think this picture sums you up well.

Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

Cpt Jagdish wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Saying that everyone in the video has some responsibility for the shirtshow on Saturday does not remove any responsibilities from the driver for killing someone. However, you cant deny they were an illegally assembled mob marching in the motorway armed with weapons which they attacked the car with before and after anyone was hit. By the way, that post was long after I asked the question.