why does the press keep repeating that 3 people died?

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
133743Hokie

why does the press keep repeating that 3 people died?

Post by 133743Hokie »

One person died. The two state police in the helicopter is unrelated
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: why does the press keep repeating that 3 people died?

Post by USN_Hokie »

This is rhetorical, of course?

We all know why.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:One person died. The two state police in the helicopter is unrelated
The police deaths are somewhat related. They'd not have been there if not for the cluster eff under way at the time. Not exactly a proximate cause, but...
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

133743Hokie wrote:One person died. The two state police in the helicopter is unrelated
Really? They were there b/c of the protests? Not talking about their deaths would be a horrible thing to do.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
Really? They were there b/c of the protests? Not talking about their deaths would be a horrible thing to do.
They crashed in an unrelated area due to an unrelated cause. Absolutely nothing to do with the riot. Nothing. Has great shock value for the media though.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
You're being obtuse. Headlines like these are disingenuous:

NPR: "3 Killed In Violence Surrounding White Nationalist Protest"

CBS: "Eyewitness describe Charlottesville protest that left 3 dead."
The Hill: "Three dead after violent clashes in Charlottesville"

WaPo: "Family, friends mourn 3 dead in Virginia rally violence"

The protest/violence didn't kill those troopers, engine failure did. But the headlines lead ignorant people on to believe three people were killed in the midst of the violence at the protest. The police deaths are purposely conflated with the girl who was run over.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
They crashed in an unrelated area due to an unrelated cause. Absolutely nothing to do with the riot. Nothing. Has great shock value for the media though.

Yep. And propagandists.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
Hunh. I thought it was related. How about that?
Salute the Marines
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

The protest/violence didn't kill those troopers, engine failure did. But the headlines lead ignorant people on to believe three people were killed in the midst of the violence at the protest. The police deaths are purposely conflated with the girl who was run over.
The reports about the police officers accurately describe where they were and what they were doing. I haven't seen anyone say or think that they were killed in the "midst of the violence".

Trump was right to include the officers in his comments.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

The reports about the police officers accurately describe where they were and what they were doing. I haven't seen anyone say or think that they were killed in the "midst of the violence".

Trump was right to include the officers in his comments.
You're doubling down on obtuse now. The damn headlines say they were killed in the violence. Most people don't read past the headlines.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
It WAS related. From the police:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzNAAE ... 9vWWs/view
Salute the Marines
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Mechanical problems can happen anytime. Nothing about the riots caused the crash.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

RiverguyVT wrote:
The police deaths are somewhat related. They'd not have been there if not for the cluster eff under way at the time. Not exactly a proximate cause, but...
Actually, it could have been worse. The police had borrowed the Med Flight helicopter from the hospital. Assuming the engine problem would not have been noticed and fixed (which is highly likely), at least three people would have died (pilot plus two medics) had it been used for it's usual purpose.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Actually, it could have been worse. The police had borrowed the Med Flight helicopter from the hospital. Assuming the engine problem would not have been noticed and fixed (which is highly likely), at least three people would have died (pilot plus two medics) had it been used for it's usual purpose.
Yup
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

Mechanical problems can happen anytime. Nothing about the riots caused the crash.
As I said above, the riots were not proximate cause, however, but for the riots the helicopter would have been on the ground. It was indeed related, but not with causality. To say the crash had nothing to do with what was happening below, at all, is just not accurate. The police died in support of ground operations surrounding the aftermath of the riot. And as such, those police should be heroically recognized .
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: Really? They were there b/c of the protests? Not talking about their deaths would be a horrible thing to do.

As I said above, the riots were not proximate cause, however, but for the riots the helicopter would have been on the ground. It was indeed related, but not with causality. To say the crash had nothing to do with what was happening below, at all, is just not accurate. The police died in support of ground operations surrounding the aftermath of the riot. And as such, those police should be heroically recognized .
Then it crashes the next day. They're exaggerating deaths.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

not related at all. Sorry for their deaths but don't tie them to the Charlottesville incident. That's disingenuous. And not to sound callous, but what was "heroic" about their being in that helicopter and dying?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

The state police say on their website that the two officers were working the riot.

I'll take the Va St Police account

Heroics- to me, cops have my respect. Their lives are put on the line every time they button up the blue shirt. These two died in the line of duty.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:The state police say on their website that the two officers were working the riot.

Heroics- to me, cops have my respect. Their lives are put on the line every time they button up the blue shirt. These two died in the line of duty.
Yes, died in line of duty. No, didn't die in riots. They were going to die that day if they were chasing a speeder or doing anything else. There's no causality between the riots as happens in reporting death tolls.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

awesome guy wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:The state police say on their website that the two officers were working the riot.

Yes, died in line of duty. No, didn't die in riots. They were going to die that day if they were chasing a speeder or doing anything else. There's no causality between the riots as happens in reporting death tolls.
IN the riots? No. They didn't die IN the riots.
Did they die while working that incident? Yes. Yes, they died while working that incident.

Would the next person who took that copter up, have likely died if these 2 officers hadn't? Most likely. However, the two officers did take the copter up, and they took it up because of the rioting that day, ...and they died as a result.
Salute the Marines
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:
awesome guy wrote:

IN the riots? No. They didn't die IN the riots.
Did they die while working that incident? Yes. Yes, they died while working that incident.

Would the next person who took that copter up, have likely died if these 2 officers hadn't? Most likely. However, the two officers did take the copter up, and they took it up because of the rioting that day, ...and they died as a result.
Reporting riot death tolls is used to indicate the level of violence. These officers weren't involved with any violence, they died in an accident.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

I'm still waiting for someone to argue the headlines I provided are accurate. They're not.

Ever click on a story, read one paragraph, and then get asked to click a button to read the rest? This is done for ad revenue because most people just click on a link, read the headline, and move on.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
problem, the helicopter crashed, it was not shot down or blown up with a surface to air missile, so it was either pilot error or mechanical error, which could have happened at anytime they were flying it. It is very sad that two more cops perished this weekend but the Cville fiasco created by the mayor of Cville has nothing to do with it
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

if they were not flying for the event they would have been flying it for something else, mechanical is not related to the event
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:
Yup
medical helicopters have crashed quite often, most med flight helos are operated by private operators, beside the danger of flying they charge like 100k to pick up the person, better to get in an ambulance