CNN’s Angela Rye: George Washington monuments must go

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
UpstateSCHokie

CNN’s Angela Rye: George Washington monuments must go

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

This is how it goes folks. It starts out as just a few crazy voices on the fringe left. Then the next you know, you turn around and it's mainstream thought on the left which includes the media.

5 years ago, no one would have fathomed that tearing down historical monuments would become a serious thing. Now we have more and more people seriously calling for the removal of statues of our founding fathers.
======================

CNN’s Angela Rye: Very close to slavery right now, George Washington monuments must go
August 18, 2017 | Frieda Powers

Well that didn’t take long.

On the heels of President Trump asking “who’s next” in the targeting of confederate monuments, a CNN commentator called for the removal of statues of our Founding Fathers now as well.

“To me, I don’t care if it’s a George Washington statue or Thomas Jefferson, they all need to come down,” liberal analyst Angela Rye argued in a panel discussion on CNN Thursday.
“We have to get to the heart of the problem here. The heart of the problem is the way many of us were taught American history. American history is not all glorious,” Rye said, responding to host Kate Bolduan’s question, “Is it about statues and monuments?”

“George Washington was a slave owner. We need to call them out for what they are, whether we think they were protecting American freedom or not. He wasn’t protecting my freedoms. My ancestors weren’t deemed human beings to him. And so to me, I don’t care if it’s a George Washington statue or a Thomas Jefferson statue, they all need to come down,” she continued.

“We have to get to the heart of the problem here. The heart of the problem is the way many of us were taught American history. American history is not all glorious,” Rye said, responding to host Kate Bolduan’s question, “Is it about statues and monuments?”

“George Washington was a slave owner. We need to call them out for what they are, whether we think they were protecting American freedom or not. He wasn’t protecting my freedoms. My ancestors weren’t deemed human beings to him. And so to me, I don’t care if it’s a George Washington statue or a Thomas Jefferson statue, they all need to come down,” she continued.

“I don’t say they don’t deserve to be taught about, learn about it so we don’t repeat it because we are very close to repeating it right now. I’m not giving deference to George Washington or Robert E. Lee,” she said.

Daily Beast‘s Editor-in-Chief John Avlon interjected to warn Rye that she was playing into Trump’s “slippery slope” argument.”

“Look. We have to be real careful here. What we are doing here is polarizing the conversation exactly in the direction that Donald Trump wants,” he said. “If you all of a sudden buy into the slippery slope argument that Donald Trump is presenting that the Founding Fathers were the moral equivalent of confederate generals –”

“I didn’t,” Rye responded.

“I believe you just did,” Avlon said.

“I didn’t. I don’t think you liked what I said but that’s not what I said,” Rye concluded.

Of course, Rye is not alone in her views and will have plenty nodding in agreement. But many others are waking up to the idea that perhaps the racial war is just being drummed up the media.
— Conservative News (@BIZPACReview) August 18, 2017
“Use your brain,” conservative Candice Owens advised in a video she published exposing the media narrative. ““Honestly, everybody involved in this fake racial war is a loser.”

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/08/18/ ... -go-526732

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: CNN’s Angela Rye: George Washington monuments must go

Post by USN_Hokie »

Midterms are going to be a bloodbath for the Dems if they keep this up.

"Vote Democrat: the party of crapping on our founding fathers and their legacy....literally."
Hokie CPA
Alma Mater: Norfolk Academy to Virginia Tech
Party: I reject your party

Post by Hokie CPA »

I think we can all agree that UVA needs to be closed, The Lawn set on fire, and The Rotunda and Monticello razed to the ground. Slaves built that sh*t!
I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican... if you refuse to consider alternatives to the two parties, you support the Status Quo and you are a major part of the problem.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Hokie CPA wrote:I think we can all agree that UVA needs to be closed, The Lawn set on fire, and The Rotunda and Monticello razed to the ground. Slaves built that sh*t!
Yes! Something we can all agree on, well except that one strange fella.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Hokie CPA wrote:I think we can all agree that UVA needs to be closed, The Lawn set on fire, and The Rotunda and Monticello razed to the ground. Slaves built that sh*t!

Yep. After all the monuments have been taken down, they'll start re-writing books and lecture materials.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:Midterms are going to be a bloodbath for the Dems if they keep this up.

"Vote Democrat: the party of crapping on our founding fathers and their legacy....literally."
Yup. I much as I hate to see our history come under attack, part of me hopes they keep up this rabid insanity because its only going to bury the Democrat party into a deeper hole then it already is. Plus, I wonder how long it will be before these SJWs realize the history of the Democrat party and decide that it too much be destroyed?

=================================

The Democrats search for another Lost Cause
By Wesley Pruden - The Washington Times - Thursday, August 17, 2017

To arms! The Confederates are coming! The Confederates are coming!

Union scouts have already discovered Robert E. Lee at the gates of the city, lining up the gallant Pelham’s artillery to fire the opening round, and Stonewall Jackson and Jeb Stuart are expected to arrive on a night train from the Shenandoah Valley.

Not since First Manassas, when the Yankees fled the battlefield in blind panic, after taking a licking in the first battle of the Cruel War of Northern Aggression, has the Capital quailed in such fear and trembling.

This time it’s only an army of marble, but marble men are apparently enough against a foe of the weak and the weary of combat. Cities, counties and states across the nation have been taking down Southern statuary for days — brave Baltimore waited for the cover of night to do the deed — all in hopes of being spared the wrath of the regiments of bronze and marble regiments. Californians scoured graveyards for evidence of insurrection and finally found something in Hollywood, of all places.

These were the graves of dead Confederates exiled from formerly Confederate states from Virginia to Texas who repaired to the balm of mild and gentle California to live out their final days, only to die forgotten in an alien land. The searchers found a plaque, overgrown with moss and soil, identifying those who sleep there. The plaque, though not a trophy as valuable as statuary of Lee or Jackson, was nevertheless removed as a prize of combat with the dead. The Los Angeles Times reports that “the bodies will not be disinterred.” Well, not now, anyway. Maybe next week, when the remains can be properly flogged and assigned to the city dump.

Back among the living, you might think the Democrats would be in Hog Heaven, intoxicated with the prospect of slaying Donald Trump at last. Metaphorically speaking, of course. (We think.) But months of malaise — the French call it “ennui,” or lassitude for lack of excitement — have made havoc of Democratic fundraising.

Even with the prospect of a riveting candidate for 2020, someone like Elizabeth Warren, Maxine Waters, Bernie Sanders or even Hillary retrieved from the mothballs for a third try, Democratic fundraisers report that Democratic donors are exhausted. Throwing good money after bad, even in pursuit of Donald Trump, is not ringing bells and blowing whistles where big money dwells. The targets for next year’s congressional races look more inviting, but apparently only in Washington and other haunts of campaign consultants.

The raw numbers are enough to alarm Pollyanna and her friends. The Democratic National Committee raised $38 million in the first half of this year, and while that sounds like a lot, the Republicans raised almost twice that, with $75 million. At the end of June, the debt-free Republicans had $45 million in the bank; the Democrats have only $7 million in the bank and $3 million in debt. “We really should be kicking them in the [hindquarters],” a glum Democratic donor tells the Capitol Hill political daily The Hill.

If the Republicans are embarrassed by the stumbling Republicans in Congress and Donald Trump’s continuing struggle with foot-in-mouth disease, the Democrats can only mimic the misery of Casey Stengel as he managed the New York Mets through their inaugural year when they couldn’t win for losing, often by boxcar numbers: “Can’t anybody play this game?”

By the numbers on the money, apparently not, though the fundraising numbers don’t tell the whole story. Mitch McConnell can’t seem to find a way to keep his senators marching in cadence to the music, enabling John McCain, who dreams of becoming the pet Republican of the mainstream media again, and a couple of others from co-operating with the Democrats in recycling Harry Truman’s famous campaign label, “the do-nothing Congress,” and affixing it firmly to the party that once nominated Mr. McCain for president.

President Trump has become a Republican pinata, inviting everyone to take a whack. But he continues to draw crowds and money, both big money and small money. His approval ratings hover just below 40 percent, but it’s the most faithful 40 percent anywhere.

He collected $10 million for his re-election at a fund-raiser at his hotel in Washington this summer, and the Republican National Committee continues to outraise the Democrats among small-dollar donors — under $200 — and by a big margin.

The Democrats, with big help from not only the media but establishment Republicans who just can’t get over November, are counting now on backlash over Charlottesville to do what Robert Mueller was only yesterday counted on to do.

But killing dead Confederates won’t do it, either. Democrats tempted to fight a Lost Cause of their own should find romance somewhere else. Bernie Sanders or Pocahontas on a bronze horse won’t thrill anyone.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... nother-lo/

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” ― Voltaire (1694 – 1778)
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

I liked the Lost Cause pun in the title of that article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
UpstateSCHokie

Post by UpstateSCHokie »

CNNers Argue Lee Statues Are Like Having a Bin Laden School, Defend Lefty Who Made Assassination Plea
By Curtis Houck | August 18, 2017 5:03 PM EDT

Late in the going on Thursday’s CNN Tonight, two eyebrow-raising claims arose when host Don Lemon compared Robert E. Lee statues to having schools named after Osama Bin Laden while political commentator Keith Boykin defended the Missouri liberal who called for President Trump’s assassination.

Even though CNN political commentator Alice Stewart and The Daily Wire’s Ben Shapiro made solid points about removing Confederate statues, Lemon interjected as if the two conservatives had argued that the statues should all stay.

“Let me give you — let me give you — let me give you — this is a stark example and pardons me for my clumsiness here. Imagine if someone wanted the erect - I have a school called Osama Bin Laden Middle School for Learning — whatever,” asserted Lemon.

Stewart noted that this wouldn’t be the case in the U.S., but Lemon continued by arguing that Lee is on the same footing with African-Americans:

But that is not a part of African-American. But that represents Robert E. Lee. That was our holocaust, right? This is what happened to us. We would rather not go to schools — we're not saying people shouldn't learn about Robert E. Lee. We're not saying that Robert E. Lee — Robert E. Lee statues should not exist in some form some wear, but it should not be part of a public building, a building — especially something that is paid for with federal tax dollars. If you want to have it in the privacy of your home, have as many Robert E. Lee statues as you want.
Shapiro stepped in to ask for a clarification, wondering if Lemon’s implying “here that everyone who opposes taking down the statues is a racist

“That’s not what I’m saying at all. That’s not what I'm not saying. I'm saying we should have a conversation just like we do now and I don’t think that at all. I'm trying to get you and others to understand how people of color feel about those statues, especially as a son of the south,” responded Lemon.

In the same week where he questioned Trump supporter Paris Dennard’s blackness, fellow political commentator Keith Boykin showcased the left’s intolerance when it comes to allowing people not of their ideology to stand with them:

With respect to Alice and John and everyone, this is not a local issue. This is an issue about America's history, national history that affected millions of Americans, 600,000 people died in the Civil War. It was the bloodiest war in American history. 50,000 people died at Gettysburg. 20,000 at Vicksburg, 20,000 at Antietam. We can't celebrate the history of a man named Robert E. Lee or Jefferson Davis who took up arms against the United States of America. I don't know where anyone else draws the line. But I can draw a line there...George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, though they were slave owners, never took up arms against the United States of America...And for a President of the United States in 2017 to endorse treason traitors, murderess, and racist and to celebrate that is unacceptable and anyone who stands up in favor of that is, in my opinion is not respecting the true culture of what America is supposed to represent.

Boykin returned in the next segment when he offered a defense of Missouri Democratic State Senator Maria Chappelle-Nadal after she suggested that the President be assassinated.

Showing no shame, Boykin argued despite appropriate pushback from Lemon:
BOYKIN: At least — I don't think what she said was right, but had the courage to say she was wrong. This President never says he was wrong. This is a President who got up there last year in the campaign —

LEMON: Making excuses for her?

BOYKIN: I'm not. He spoke about second amendment remedies in case Hillary Clinton was elected, which was a clear threat of assassination. He never admitted that at all.

LEMON: I understand that, but this is, yea, yes, you're right, but, still —

BOYKIN: Right, it's wrong. You can't say anything. It's wrong, but the point is, Donald Trump is the President of the United States. He is supposed to be, not only the political leader, but moral leader of the country. He cannot do that. He cannot condemn other people when he is creating culture of violence himself.
Thursday night's liberal comments on CNN were brought to you by advertisers such as IHOP, Hulu, and T.D. Ameritrade.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/cu ... fend-lefty

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:Midterms are going to be a bloodbath for the Dems if they keep this up.

Agreed. They're exposing the ugly side of their views without reservation. Makes for good campaign ads for the other side.
Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

Why weren't these statues racist when Obummer was prez?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:Why weren't these statues racist when Obummer was prez?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Russia became nothing so they're pivoting to "everything is raaaaaaacist!". It's to call Trump a racist as all of their other retarded lies fell apart.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.