Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: 8 Browns players kneel for anthem..within 3 years

Post by nolanvt »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
The classic millennial statement..."means different things to different people".

Just like...."the sex you identify why is a personal decision, not based on biology"....it's all about how you feel. Nothing means anything really. Math is racist by the way.

Sorry to pick on you Nolan, I mean no ill will, but you provide a lot of ammo. It's the subtly of your brainwashing that is interesting to me more than I enjoy ragging on you. You obviously don't have kids BTW. Maybe you will change when that happens.
That's interesting considering that you and I probably agree on 80%+ of the issues, including standing for the anthem. I will continue to stand for the anthem and not just to honor the military. That flag represents a nation and people that have made great progress in many areas where we had previously fell short (slavery, civil rights, etc.). That's most of my disagreement with Kap when he simply cites police brutality for kneeling for the anthem.

As for the anthem, its meaning is subjective. I'm sorry if you don't like that particular fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote: Why do we play the anthem before sporting events anyway?

If I recall correctly it goes back to a WWI era World Series game...I think.

Yep, here is an article.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/wh ... ing-events
Thank you for being the only poster to provide an intelligent, non-emotional response.

For those who want to keep politics out of sports, should that be extended to the national anthem as well? Make no mistake, the anthem is political, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing to conduct.

When you go to a live sporting event- a Marshall game, etc. Do you stand for the anthem? If you do, you answered your own question on why they play it. And honoring the soldiers that defend the US Flag so that you can go watch grown men play sports and drink beer and eat hotdogs without fear of being killed or the government telling you which team to root for is not "political"..its common decency- If you are an American, that is.
I stand for the anthem for my own reasons.

The anthem means different things to different people, so that's how it got intertwined with politics whether you and I like that or not.

So when the PA announcer says "To honor America, will you please rise and take off your caps" you are thinking something totally different? interesting. Maybe you do it because you have sweat under your butt? Is that why? your own reasons..lol
Yes. See my response to Bay Area.

Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

I gave up my season tickets last year. I had them for over 20 years and enjoyed going to the games. However, when the NFL took the stance to not punish Kaeperdick for not standing for the National Anthem, but does punish a player for wearing pink socks/shoes to honor his mother fighting cancer, it was over. I lost all interest. Now my Sunday's are free to play golf and do all sorts of other things. You know what? I don't miss the games at all.
HokieJoe wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:NFL teams will simply stay in the locker room for the anthem, I predict. Perhaps all sports teams. They will just stay inside and let the "fans" stand for the anthem and be done with it. Sad but true and you can thank Kaepernick- he wants less murderous white racist cops killing people every hour...what he will get is teams not brave enough to deal with the National Anthem and stay in the locker room to "focus on the game". Typical liberal communist unintended consequence.

And I won't watch the games if it comes to that.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Actually I think within 3-5 years the National Anthem will no longer be played at sporting events at all. The progressive, alt-left is continuing the work of Obama and re-imagining the US in their one-world view. Nationalism is under attack. The anthem will be gone.
Why do we play the anthem before sporting events anyway?

Yep, here is an article.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/wh ... ing-events
Thank you for being the only poster to provide an intelligent, non-emotional response.

For those who want to keep politics out of sports, should that be extended to the national anthem as well? Make no mistake, the anthem is political, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing to conduct.

When you go to a live sporting event- a Marshall game, etc. Do you stand for the anthem? If you do, you answered your own question on why they play it. And honoring the soldiers that defend the US Flag so that you can go watch grown men play sports and drink beer and eat hotdogs without fear of being killed or the government telling you which team to root for is not "political"..its common decency- If you are an American, that is.

The anthem means different things to different people, so that's how it got intertwined with politics whether you and I like that or not.

It's only political because a bench warmer decided to make it political. The salient point is it never should been politized. He's a multimillionaire scumbag.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:Actually I think within 3-5 years the National Anthem will no longer be played at sporting events at all. The progressive, alt-left is continuing the work of Obama and re-imagining the US in their one-world view. Nationalism is under attack. The anthem will be gone.
Why do we play the anthem before sporting events anyway?

Yep, here is an article.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/wh ... ing-events[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

When you go to a live sporting event- a Marshall game, etc. Do you stand for the anthem? If you do, you answered your own question on why they play it. And honoring the soldiers that defend the US Flag so that you can go watch grown men play sports and drink beer and eat hotdogs without fear of being killed or the government telling you which team to root for is not "political"..its common decency- If you are an American, that is.[/quote]

So when the PA announcer says "To honor America, will you please rise and take off your caps" you are thinking something totally different? interesting. Maybe you do it because you have sweat under your butt? Is that why? your own reasons..lol[/quote]

Yes. See my response to Bay Area.

I saw that... you are thinking more Bruce Jenner and Trayvon Martin courage and honor than Marines or Navy Seals.. I figured as much, glad you said it though. Keep thinking "subjectively" on that anthem Nolan.. but don't take it for granted, because if the Jenners and Trayvons had to defend it, we will be singing the anthem in Chinese.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
I saw that... you are thinking more Bruce Jenner and Trayvon Martin courage and honor than Marines or Navy Seals.. I figured as much, glad you said it though. Keep thinking "subjectively" on that anthem Nolan.. but don't take it for granted, because if the Jenners and Trayvons had to defend it, we will be singing the anthem in Chinese.
Can someone translate this to English? TIA.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You said it yourself.. you stand because you are proud of social justice and "progress" - of course neither would be possible without the US Military and our system of government that they defend... but stand and honor the flag for "your own reasons".. good on you.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You said it yourself.. you stand because you are proud of social justice and "progress" - of course neither would be possible without the US Military and our system of government that they defend... but stand and honor the flag for "your own reasons".. good on you.
Well, yeah. The military is a major reason for me standing. I'm not sure what your issue is.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:
The classic millennial statement..."means different things to different people".

Just like...."the sex you identify why is a personal decision, not based on biology"....it's all about how you feel. Nothing means anything really. Math is racist by the way.

Sorry to pick on you Nolan, I mean no ill will, but you provide a lot of ammo. It's the subtly of your brainwashing that is interesting to me more than I enjoy ragging on you. You obviously don't have kids BTW. Maybe you will change when that happens.
That's interesting considering that you and I probably agree on 80%+ of the issues, including standing for the anthem. I will continue to stand for the anthem and not just to honor the military. That flag represents a nation and people that have made great progress in many areas where we had previously fell short (slavery, civil rights, etc.). That's most of my disagreement with Kap when he simply cites police brutality for kneeling for the anthem.

As for the anthem, its meaning is subjective. I'm sorry if you don't like that particular fact.

What is subjective about the meaning of the anthem? It is OUR national anthem. It is played to show out"r respect and honor for the country we live in. Someone can decide to make a political statement during the playing of the anthem, but that doesn't change the meaning and purpose of the anthem.
If someone doesn't want the anthem played, then they are saying they don't honor and respect our country. If that is the case, that person has the freedom to get out.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

What is subjective about the meaning of the anthem? It is OUR national anthem. It is played to show out"r respect and honor for the country we live in. Someone can decide to make a political statement during the playing of the anthem, but that doesn't change the meaning and purpose of the anthem.
If someone doesn't want the anthem played, then they are saying they don't honor and respect our country. If that is the case, that person has the freedom to get out.
"Honoring America" is broad and subjective, no? To someone who doesn't like what's going on in their country, they may not be in the mood to honor America at that moment (e.g. Kaepernick). I disagree with them.

CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

"Honoring America" is broad and subjective, no? To someone who doesn't like what's going on in their country, they may not be in the mood to honor America at that moment (e.g. Kaepernick). I disagree with them.

Kaep's main issue is that he is wrong. Study after study, investigation after investigation has proven there is no systemic racist police brutality "culture" in America. - None. Are there bad rouge cops? sure..are 99% of them charged and prosecuted? yes. Is there a real thing, a real problem with "driving while black"? nope. The FBI has investigated this, the justice department has, etc. So when you claim there is some huge racist police issue in America and the facts don't bear that out, you look like a fool that hates America.. Thus the reason this chump is unemployed
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

It's honoring the only place on earth that he can freely express his displeasure with it. It's stupid, he and you are destroying the freedom that allows you to express your foolishness. It's irony times 2. You're not smart enough to keep the liberty inherited and so will blow it. Like you guys now saying the 1st amendment has outlived it's usefulness and so should be limited. 2nd amendment too. It's rather sad, like watching a dumbass trust fund kid blow his wealth. Won't know what he had till it's gone.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Kaep's main issue is that he is wrong. Study after study, investigation after investigation has proven there is no systemic racist police brutality "culture" in America. - None. Are there bad rouge cops? sure..are 99% of them charged and prosecuted? yes. Is there a real thing, a real problem with "driving while black"? nope. The FBI has investigated this, the justice department has, etc. So when you claim there is some huge racist police issue in America and the facts don't bear that out, you look like a fool that hates America.. Thus the reason this chump is unemployed
You're confusing me with someone else.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

It's honoring the only place on earth that he can freely express his displeasure with it. It's stupid, he and you are destroying the freedom that allows you to express your foolishness. It's irony times 2. You're not smart enough to keep the liberty inherited and so will blow it. Like you guys now saying the 1st amendment has outlived it's usefulness and so should be limited. 2nd amendment too. It's rather sad, like watching a dumbass trust fund kid blow his wealth. Won't know what he had till it's gone.

And thank you for proving my point that the anthem's meaning is subjective! [emoji106]

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

And thank you for proving my point that the anthem's meaning is subjective! [emoji106]

No I'm not confusing you with another and you're dumber than your posts and standardized testing indicate if you think I proved respect of liberty is subjective.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Ah, this is your latest "I'm wrong and won't admit it" shtick.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

It may be broad, it's not subjective.

But, deciding to kneel for the anthem is a protest about something they are passionate about.
If someone decided they don't want the anthem played, that is protesting America, and they can leave.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Wow, your white guilt is just eating your butt up..... the vast majority of us have no white guilt, sorry you are afflicted with it but it can be cured. Has the planet changed in the last 200 + years, well darn it did...progress!
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Wow, your white guilt is just eating your butt up..... the vast majority of us have no white guilt, sorry you are afflicted with it but it can be cured. Has the planet changed in the last 200 + years, well darn it did...progress!

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

But, deciding to kneel for the anthem is a protest about something they are passionate about.
If someone decided they don't want the anthem played, that is protesting America, and they can leave.
You're free to feel that way, but those dynamics are what makes the anthem political. IIWII.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

You're free to feel that way, but those dynamics are what makes the anthem political. IIWII.

It's "political" because melting snowflakes claim it is! Bless your heart.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Once again....LOVE the entertainment!
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

Not if you're an American. There's a lot of crap I find vile about this country, but on whole, it's still the greatest country in the world because of our founding documents. And those documents have nothing to do with 'social justice' or revisionist history.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
Bay_area_Hokie wrote:

There's nothing specific to the anthem which makes it "political". That leaves only azzholes who wish to make it political- like you, who to try to justify the actions of others. I'm not shocked by your ahistorical and frankly ignorant interpretation though. You're reliable that way.