http://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu ... 3686163064

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: "Millennials are killing..."

Post by nolanvt »

I will admit to taking part in the killing of:

Shitty chain restaurants: because I like good food.

Napkins: I use paper towels or napkins from the restaurant when I get fast food. I only break out the washable napkins for special occasions.

Golf: and by kill, I mean I work full-time and have better things to do with my free time, so I no longer play every weekend possible.

Motorcycles: don't need another depreciating asset that I'll rarely use like the Harley my Dad maybe rode four times.

Bars of soap: bodywash is easier.

Diamonds: for the reasons Kmarko stated. You're a moron if you waste significant money on a wedding band/engagement ring.

Department stores: better shopping choices available.

Bay_area_Hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Surprise Party

Post by Bay_area_Hokie »

I don't like body wash... prefer a bar of soap.... maybe millenials are afraid of bending over to pick it up since 8 of them share a house at times [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

“With God there are only individuals” - Philosopher Nicolas Gomez Davila
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re:

Post by Major Kong »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I don't like body wash... prefer a bar of soap.... maybe millenials are afraid of bending over to pick it up since 8 of them share a house at times [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

Bay_area_Hokie wrote:I don't like body wash... prefer a bar of soap.... maybe millenials are afraid of bending over to pick it up since 8 of them share a house at times [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Re:

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:I will admit to taking part in the killing of:

Napkins: I use paper towels or napkins from the restaurant when I get fast food. I only break out the washable napkins for special occasions.

Golf: and by kill, I mean I work full-time and have better things to do with my free time, so I no longer play every weekend possible.

Motorcycles: don't need another depreciating asset that I'll rarely use like the Harley my Dad maybe rode four times.

Diamonds: for the reasons Kmarko stated. You're a moron if you waste significant money on a wedding band/engagement ring.

Well aren't you just special
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Re:

Post by HokieJoe »

:lol:
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

I like it, but go through it to fast. And I refuse to use one of those balls that get wet and collect mildew.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re:

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

I like it, but go through it to fast.
And I refuse to use one of those balls that get wet and collect mildew.

That's the point. It's marketing. Oh, and most of it is marketed towards beta males:

http://www.businessinsider.com/axe-adve ... ed-2011-10
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I like it, but go through it to fast.
And I refuse to use one of those balls that get wet and collect mildew.

That's the point. It's marketing. Oh, and most of it is marketed towards beta males:

http://www.businessinsider.com/axe-adve ... ed-2011-10
It was effective marketing, but I'll stick to what I use instead. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

CFB Apologist

Re:

Post by CFB Apologist »

LOL.. chain restaurants have been a volatile/finicky business - i dunno- forever- turnover there has zero to do with "millennials" - its called "the restaurant business"- google it. Golf courses have never in history catered to underemployed, wimpy 20 something white guys and gals- never.. Golf is back where it has always been for a 100 years- save the artificial "tiger woods" bubble of 2001-2006 that spawned some over-built "daily fee" courses that should have never been built that way in the first place. Motorcycles have been replaced by "scooters" by millennials in the same way "cabs" have been replaced by "uber"- no material difference in the two.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:

LOL.. chain restaurants have been a volatile/finicky business - i dunno- forever- turnover there has zero to do with "millennials" - its called "the restaurant business"- google it. Golf courses have never in history catered to underemployed, wimpy 20 something white guys and gals- never.. Golf is back where it has always been for a 100 years- save the artificial "tiger woods" bubble of 2001-2006 that spawned some over-built "daily fee" courses that should have never been built that way in the first place. Motorcycles have been replaced by "scooters" by millennials in the same way "cabs" have been replaced by "uber"- no material difference in the two.
You should take this up with the FAKE NEWS stories blaming millennials for killing X business.

CFB Apologist

Re:

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You should take this up with the FAKE NEWS stories blaming millennials for killing X business.

Nah, it was a funny well done article that made some good points.. and he admits golf is pretty much unchanged from the "norm" over the past 40 years
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Nah, it was a funny well done article that made some good points.. and he admits golf is pretty much unchanged from the "norm" over the past 40 years
Agree with that. I may play a handful times each year for social occasions like most other hackers in generations preceding me.

CFB Apologist

Re:

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Agree with that. I may play a handful times each year for social occasions like most other hackers in generations preceding me.

I'm an avid golfer- but I do not belong to a country club, so I play a lot of different courses- and I enjoy that. I have really not noticed much difference- courses are still relatively crowded on the weekends- even similar to boom levels after the woods phenomenon. Like I said, what HAS changed is some of these "county club like" expensive "daily fee" courses have either closed or changed their business model to offer more affordable rounds- because- shock, not a lot of people cared about being able to play 36 for the same greens fee IF the starter had room for you after your 18... looking back its hard to believe "daily fee" course pricing even took off the way it did.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I'm an avid golfer- but I do not belong to a country club, so I play a lot of different courses- and I enjoy that. I have really not noticed much difference- courses are still relatively crowded on the weekends- even similar to boom levels after the woods phenomenon. Like I said, what HAS changed is some of these "county club like" expensive "daily fee" courses have either closed or changed their business model to offer more affordable rounds- because- shock, not a lot of people cared about being able to play 36 for the same greens fee IF the starter had room for you after your 18... looking back its hard to believe "daily fee" course pricing even took off the way it did.
What is the deal with this daily fee stuff? I'm as into golf as much as anyone, and I've never heard of it. Is it a thing to pay for the day instead of the round?

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Re:

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I'm an avid golfer- but I do not belong to a country club, so I play a lot of different courses- and I enjoy that. I have really not noticed much difference- courses are still relatively crowded on the weekends- even similar to boom levels after the woods phenomenon. Like I said, what HAS changed is some of these "county club like" expensive "daily fee" courses have either closed or changed their business model to offer more affordable rounds- because- shock, not a lot of people cared about being able to play 36 for the same greens fee IF the starter had room for you after your 18... looking back its hard to believe "daily fee" course pricing even took off the way it did.[/quote]

What is the deal with this daily fee stuff? I'm as into golf as much as anyone, and I've never heard of it. Is it a thing to pay for the day instead of the round?

Yes- it was very big in the DC/MD/NOVA area and some in Myrtle, other resort areas as well. In the late 1990's early 2000- "nicer" courses were built and billed as "daily fee" meaning you pay $110.00 for greens fee's with a cart and you could play 27 or 36 holes- if (big if) the course was not packed and you teed off at 7am.. there was never a gaurentee of tee times or anything, just a "nice" course and country club experience without the monthly assessments, etc. Lee's Hill in Fredericksburg, Little Bennet, Links at chaledon, and river downs in maryland come right to the top of my head. Bottom line is it was a scam.. of sorts- an excuse to charge more as the demand for better courses and tee times rose. Below gives you an idea

https://www.billycaspergolf.com/clients/daily-fee
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

I'm an avid golfer- but I do not belong to a country club, so I play a lot of different courses- and I enjoy that. I have really not noticed much difference- courses are still relatively crowded on the weekends- even similar to boom levels after the woods phenomenon. Like I said, what HAS changed is some of these "county club like" expensive "daily fee" courses have either closed or changed their business model to offer more affordable rounds- because- shock, not a lot of people cared about being able to play 36 for the same greens fee IF the starter had room for you after your 18... looking back its hard to believe "daily fee" course pricing even took off the way it did.[/quote]

Yes- it was very big in the DC/MD/NOVA area and some in Myrtle, other resort areas as well. In the late 1990's early 2000- "nicer" courses were built and billed as "daily fee" meaning you pay $110.00 for greens fee's with a cart and you could play 27 or 36 holes- if (big if) the course was not packed and you teed off at 7am.. there was never a gaurentee of tee times or anything, just a "nice" course and country club experience without the monthly assessments, etc. Lee's Hill in Fredericksburg, Little Bennet, Links at chaledon, and river downs in maryland come right to the top of my head. Bottom line is it was a scam.. of sorts- an excuse to charge more as the demand for better courses and tee times rose. Below gives you an idea

https://www.billycaspergolf.com/clients/daily-fee[/quote]

Thanks. Obviously behind the curve on that.

I agree - 18 is enough for me.

And I'm looking forward to millennials killing golf. It's hard enough getting a weekend tee time before noon in the metro area.

133743Hokie

Re:

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

In the industry, public courses are daily fee courses. You pay to play that day.
ip_law-hokie

Re: Re:

Post by ip_law-hokie »

LOL.. chain restaurants have been a volatile/finicky business - i dunno- forever- turnover there has zero to do with "millennials" - its called "the restaurant business"- google it. Golf courses have never in history catered to underemployed, wimpy 20 something white guys and gals- never.. Golf is back where it has always been for a 100 years- save the artificial "tiger woods" bubble of 2001-2006 that spawned some over-built "daily fee" courses that should have never been built that way in the first place. Motorcycles have been replaced by "scooters" by millennials in the same way "cabs" have been replaced by "uber"- no material difference in the two.[/quote]

Nah, it was a funny well done article that made some good points.. and he admits golf is pretty much unchanged from the "norm" over the past 40 years[/quote]

In the industry, public courses are daily fee courses. You pay to play that day.[/quote]

OK. I've been playing public courses for 22 years and have only paid by the round.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:LOL.. chain restaurants have been a volatile/finicky business - i dunno- forever- turnover there has zero to do with "millennials" - its called "the restaurant business"- google it. Golf courses have never in history catered to underemployed, wimpy 20 something white guys and gals- never.. Golf is back where it has always been for a 100 years- save the artificial "tiger woods" bubble of 2001-2006 that spawned some over-built "daily fee" courses that should have never been built that way in the first place. Motorcycles have been replaced by "scooters" by millennials in the same way "cabs" have been replaced by "uber"- no material difference in the two.

Nah, it was a funny well done article that made some good points.. and he admits golf is pretty much unchanged from the "norm" over the past 40 years[/quote]

In the industry, public courses are daily fee courses. You pay to play that day.[/quote]

OK. I've been playing public courses for 22 years and have only paid by the round.[/quote]
Yes. "By the round", "by the day", "Free replays", "Unlimited holes", etc. It's all lumped into the same category in the industry -- either you pay recurring dues (membership) or you pay to play (called daily fee in the industry)
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:LOL.. chain restaurants have been a volatile/finicky business - i dunno- forever- turnover there has zero to do with "millennials" - its called "the restaurant business"- google it. Golf courses have never in history catered to underemployed, wimpy 20 something white guys and gals- never.. Golf is back where it has always been for a 100 years- save the artificial "tiger woods" bubble of 2001-2006 that spawned some over-built "daily fee" courses that should have never been built that way in the first place. Motorcycles have been replaced by "scooters" by millennials in the same way "cabs" have been replaced by "uber"- no material difference in the two.

OK. I've been playing public courses for 22 years and have only paid by the round.[/quote]
Yes. "By the round", "by the day", "Free replays", "Unlimited holes", etc. It's all lumped into the same category in the industry -- either you pay recurring dues (membership) or you pay to play (called daily fee in the industry)[/quote]

Apologist was suggesting that pay by day to be a trend in at least the Tiger years over pay by round.

I think golf's purported demise to be exaggerated. As apologist said, I think it's where it has always been. The Tiger obsession was an aberration, golf is not a mainstream sport for the masses. But it still has a niche of very loyal supporters that is more affluent, and more dedicated to the sport, than your average NFL fan.

If you are in the industry, or were, I'd be fascinated to know how busy a course must be, and at what fees, in order for it to be profitable. I understand they tend to be poor investments.

Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Quarry Pines GC is not far from where we lived in Pima County.

Dang there are several courses in that general area.

Antelope Hills in Prescott, AZ I bet is a sweet place to play and at elevation too. :)

Looks like I picked the wrong century to stop playing golf.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

133743Hokie

Re:

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Yes. "By the round", "by the day", "Free replays", "Unlimited holes", etc. It's all lumped into the same category in the industry -- either you pay recurring dues (membership) or you pay to play (called daily fee in the industry)[/quote]

Apologist was suggesting that pay by day to be a trend in at least the Tiger years over pay by round.

I think golf's purported demise to be exaggerated. As apologist said, I think it's where it has always been. The Tiger obsession was an aberration, golf is not a mainstream sport for the masses. But it still has a niche of very loyal supporters that is more affluent, and more dedicated to the sport, than your average NFL fan.

If you are in the industry, or were, I'd be fascinated to know how busy a course must be, and at what fees, in order for it to be profitable. I understand they tend to be poor investments.

Rounds played has been trending down for 10 years. Except for the top end exclusive private clubs, golf clubs (as they have existed historically for generations) are a dying breed. Successful country clubs now focus on the entire family and not just the golfer. 20, 30, even 40 year olds aren't getting with their buddies every Saturday to play. They spend time with their family.

Young people are pressed for time. Can't spend 5 hours on around of golf. They actually spend more time practicing than playing. Private clubs have greatly expanded and enhanced their practice facilities for this reason. More people playing 9 holes (USGA and PGA are both pushing this).

A lot more to thus but essentially golf is declining. Courses grossly overbuilt. Private clubs closing all the time. Public too.

Courses are expensive to build so they carry a lot of debt. Even with courses closing there is a lot of competition for a reduced number of players so cost per round is dropping making it hard to make money. Operational costs are high. Tough business. Courses used to make good money on outings but those are getting fewer and smaller as today's younger person isn't playing as much and don't care to play in such events.