In Defense of General Lee

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieDan95

In Defense of General Lee

Post by HokieDan95 »

"What's best in life?","To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: In Defense of General Lee

Post by nolanvt »

I agree with a lot of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:I agree with a lot of that.

You really do just go with whatever it was that you last looked at, don't you?

HokieDan95 just posted an article chock full of things you have in the past breathlessly (dare I say giddily?) taken great exception to, and disagreed with. Like when you last posted a Lee article, and said later in thread commentary something akin to "no one would think that way" and thinking a certain way was the very premise of the article you had just posted. When confronted with that fact, you simply ran away. Again.

Your posting here is encouraged, and welcomed. I just wish you would think sometimes. I know you can do it. Try it out.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

then you totally refute everything you posted on race and the confederacy since Cville riot, right?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

RiverguyVT wrote:

HokieDan95 just posted an article chock full of things you have in the past breathlessly (dare I say giddily?) taken great exception to, and disagreed with. Like when you last posted a Lee article, and said later in thread commentary something akin to "no one would think that way" and thinking a certain way was the very premise of the article you had just posted. When confronted with that fact, you simply ran away. Again.

Your posting here is encouraged, and welcomed. I just wish you would think sometimes. I know you can do it. Try it out.
Should I not agree with parts of an opinion piece that I agree with? I'm sorry that hurts your feelings.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

Should I not agree with parts of an opinion piece that I agree with? I'm sorry that hurts your feelings.

hypocrisy is what drives people nuts, and you are loaded with it, take a stand and stick to it

unless it is about bakeries
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

But, but, but, but, but..Mom.. he "fought against the United States", mom..period.. he's a "traitor".. never mind ANY historical context..
WestEndHokie39

Post by WestEndHokie39 »

What do you disagree with?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:

then you totally refute everything you posted on race and the confederacy since Cville riot, right?
Huh?

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:

But, but, but, but, but..Mom.. he "fought against the United States", mom..period.. he's a "traitor".. never mind ANY historical context..
It's accurate to state he fought against the US.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

WestEndHokie39 wrote:

The most striking one was the insinuation that Lee wasn't a racist because he abhorred slavery. It strikes me as an attempt to re-write history in order to position one's side for modern political arguments. It's FAKE NEWS! to suggest that Lee and most people of that time weren't racist in some fashion. It's okay to acknowledge he had racist tendencies, but I would also caution not to apply modern standards unconditionally in judging people of that time period.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

My feelings aren't hurt. I note once again you go straight to "feelings". Facts don't give an eff about anyone's feelings.

Think, Nolan. Think. Seriously, I'm trying to help here.
In this thread, you nearly undermine your entire posting history, because dan's posted link made you feel something when you read it.

Should thinking matter here on UWS?
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

nolanvt wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

It's accurate to state he fought against the US.

It is more accurate to say he defended his state from invading armies of other states.
Salute the Marines
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:

hypocrisy is what drives people nuts, and you are loaded with it, take a stand and stick to it

unless it is about bakeries
The kid needs principles that can be broadly applied; instead, he bathes in fleeting "feeeelinnngs" which are of no service in a variety of contexts.
Salute the Marines
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

The most striking one was the insinuation that Lee wasn't a racist because he abhorred slavery. It strikes me as an attempt to re-write history in order to position one's side for modern political arguments. It's FAKE NEWS! to suggest that Lee and most people of that time weren't racist in some fashion. It's okay to acknowledge he had racist tendencies, but I would also caution not to apply modern standards unconditionally in judging people of that time period.

But of course in Lib Land the reverse is NOT true.. nope, it's 100% fine to re-write history through the modern lens- like removing statues and grinding down Stone Mountain.. because of - Racism of course. long dead people are racist according to today's standards.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

try and figure out this occurred in the 1800's. not today. AT THAT TIME slavery was used all over the planet and in the USA, racism had nothing to do with it, it was just how things were done BACK THEN. Keep in mind that opposing tribes THAT WERE BLACK PEOPLE sold other black people into slavery, so I guess the black sellers were the first racists, right?
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

try and figure out this occurred in the 1800's. not today. AT THAT TIME slavery was used all over the planet and in the USA, racism had nothing to do with it, it was just how things were done BACK THEN. Keep in mind that opposing tribes THAT WERE BLACK PEOPLE sold other black people into slavery, so I guess the black sellers were the first racists, right?
Blacks hold black slaves today, 2017.
Salute the Marines
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

CFB Apologist wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

But of course in Lib Land the reverse is NOT true.. nope, it's 100% fine to re-write history through the modern lens- like removing statues and grinding down Stone Mountain.. because of - Racism of course. long dead people are racist according to today's standards.
In English, please.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Atta boy!
Salute the Marines
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

you seem to be using the Eye Pee method of conversation... hint.. its not very productive but make sure you add the emojis he uses
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

you seem to be using the Eye Pee method of conversation... hint.. its not very productive but make sure you add the emojis he uses
You're making up arguments and want me to defend arguments I haven't made. I answered WestEnd's question.

cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote:

You're making up arguments and want me to defend arguments I haven't made. I answered WestEnd's question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

this is what you wrote "It strikes me as an attempt to re-write history in order to position one's side for modern political arguments. It's FAKE NEWS! to suggest that Lee and most people of that time weren't racist in some fashion. It's okay to acknowledge he had racist tendencies", my post was in response to your words. The FACT is at that time in world history slave labor is how the agriculture was done. So it had nothing to do with racism, it was how agriculture was done
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
WestEndHokie39 wrote: What do you disagree with?

this is what you wrote "It strikes me as an attempt to re-write history in order to position one's side for modern political arguments. It's FAKE NEWS! to suggest that Lee and most people of that time weren't racist in some fashion. It's okay to acknowledge he had racist tendencies", my post was in response to your words. The FACT is at that time in world history slave labor is how the agriculture was done. So it had nothing to do with racism, it was how agriculture was done[/quote]

You didn't read my response to WestEnd then.

RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Sigh
Salute the Marines