Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
Florida Hokie
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Like a Rock Star

New to this board format. Any tips?

Post by Florida Hokie »

I know I'm an old codger. In the TSL version I used the threaded format. Just what I've always been used to as TSL was the only bulletin board forum I ever really used. Any suggestions on how to keep up, see what's new, etc? for someone used to the old style...

NOTE: By no means do I mean to be or intend to sound unappreciative Big Dave. Just trying to learn
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Re: New to this board format. Any tips?

Post by Major Kong »

Florida Hokie wrote:I know I'm an old codger. In the TSL version I used the threaded format. Just what I've always been used to as TSL was the only bulletin board forum I ever really used. Any suggestions on how to keep up, see what's new, etc? for someone used to the old style...

NOTE: By no means do I mean to be or intend to sound unappreciative Big Dave. Just trying to learn
To be honest FloHo just dive in and get the gist but then I'm a phpBB geek :ugeek:

Use the drop down menu below to adjust how you like to view your threads. I prefer the "default" of sort by post time and ascending. From there it's just a matter of getting used to the feel.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Major Kong wrote:
Florida Hokie wrote:I know I'm an old codger. In the TSL version I used the threaded format. Just what I've always been used to as TSL was the only bulletin board forum I ever really used. Any suggestions on how to keep up, see what's new, etc? for someone used to the old style...

To be honest FloHo just dive in and get the gist but then I'm a phpBB geek :ugeek:

Use the drop down menu below to adjust how you like to view your threads. I prefer the "default" of sort by post time and ascending. From there it's just a matter of getting used to the feel.
I'm starting to see that. Thanks. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. It's the lack of thread that I'm trying to adjust too.

But this is awesome. I'm impressed that BigDave made this so quickly!
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

Threaded posts do not exist at all (either intrinsically or as an add-in) for phpbb. Though there are other free solutions out there (my brother recommends bbPress, which does have a plugin for threaded support). So switching to it is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Any topics with unread posts have a red icon to the left instead of the white icon and if you click on the icon just to the left of the thread title (as shown in the screenshot below) it will take you straight to the first unread post. In some ways, this is even better than threaded because you don't have to visually look through all posts of a mega-thread to find where you left off.
view first unread post.png
view first unread post.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
Florida Hokie

Post by Florida Hokie »

Very helpful! Thanks again BigDave!
BigDave wrote:

Threaded posts do not exist at all (either intrinsically or as an add-in) for phpbb. Though there are other free solutions out there (my brother recommends bbPress, which does have a plugin for threaded support). So switching to it is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Any topics with unread posts have a red icon to the left instead of the white icon and if you click on the icon just to the left of the thread title (as shown in the screenshot below) it will take you straight to the first unread post. In some ways, this is even better than threaded because you don't have to visually look through all posts of a mega-thread to find where you left off.
view first unread post.png