You rednecks don't want to hear this

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
HokieFanDC

Re: You rednecks don't want to hear this

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:You say Camille isn't in HURDAT, and it is.
Kindly cite that, or kindly STFU. I'm not going to tilt at the windmills of your imagination and defend arguments I never made. I've ignored you on this because it only exists in your head.
HokieFanDC wrote:We just don't care about it, because staking your butthurt on the fact that there are probably storms that were bigger, but unmeasurable, is silly.
You said storms like this didn't happen before. That's an assessment of probability (of zero, in the case). Citing this event as evidence AGW is real implies probability is increasing. The truth is that we don't know, so any proclamations based on mis-understandings of probability are worthless.

Oftentimes, understanding what we don't know is more useful than accepting what we do know. It's fatal errors like that which lead to stock market and housing crashes, or even Fukushima.
I'm happy to help out a fellow Hokie. Now, maybe, just maybe the list you were talking about was the CBS News list. But, the CBS list and the HURDAT list are the same. And the reason Camille isn't on that list is because the wind speeds they measured weren't high enough to make the top 5. They took lots of measurements though.

"I just noticed that Camille - one of the worst hurricanes ever - isn't even on their list. Why? Camille was so intense they weren't able to fly into the eye at its peak, and there was such heavy rains they weren't able to get wind readings for several days."

And to your "storms like this didn't happen before", I didn't say that.

I said, specifically, " And in real terms, the people who live along the Atlantic Ocean haven't experienced a hurricane this powerful before (or to be more specific, since at least 1924 when they started measuring them). "

Your welcome. I won't ask you to apologize or to STFU, dealing with your cerebral flatulence and make believe world are just part of the beauty of UWS.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

[quote="HokieFanDC"]

I'm happy to help out a fellow Hokie. Now, maybe, just maybe the list you were talking about was the CBS News list. But, the CBS list and the HURDAT list are the same. And the reason Camille isn't on that list is because the wind speeds they measured weren't high enough to make the top 5. They took lots of measurements though.

[/quote]

Why are you trying to "educate" me on Camille? You haven't even read the study I linked for you.

If you had, you'd see the part where they couldn't get any wind readings[i] at it's peak[/i][I've repeated that part so many times in this thread but you continue to misrepresent it to mean I deny they had any readings at all - absurd] because the winds were too strong, the eye was too tight, and there was too much rain. I think the wind speeds you quoted were actually calculated from a Cuban radar station.

I believe they actually said it undoubtedly would have been the most powerful storm ever if they had been able to measure the winds accurately. It had far, far lower atmospheric pressure than Irma.

This isn't about which storm was bigger, though. My point is that our ability to accurately identify, track, and measure these hurricanes in open ocean is a relatively new phenomenon on the historical scale. Your argument assumes we have a perfect dataset over a statistically significant range, which is completely false.

Additionally, the argument that it is the strongest storm recorded in the Atlantic Ocean is technically accurate, but grossly disingenuous / misleading.

[quote="HokieFanDC"]And to your "storms like this didn't happen before", I didn't say that.

I said, specifically, " And in real terms, the people who live along the Atlantic Ocean haven't experienced a hurricane this powerful before (or to be more specific, since at least 1924 when they started measuring them). "[/quote]

This might be one of your lamest quibbles ever. *I* *paraphrased* (no quotation marks) you saying "storms like this didn't happen before."

Your actual quote was "...the people who live along the Atlantic Ocean haven't experienced a hurricane this powerful before..."

Any reasonable person would say that paraphrasing is spot on. Of course, you're DC, which means you're a completely unreasonable and pig headed. You're also making a completely baseless comment as I showed above.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

So did this live up to claims of being the most powerful hurricane experienced as some claimed? Seems like some of the islands really got hammered, but it (thankfully) fizzled out before hitting the mainland.

Not over yet, but I don't think this hurricane would have been that memorable had it happened 75-100yrs ago IMO.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:So did this live up to claims of being the most powerful hurricane experienced as some claimed? Seems like some of the islands really got hammered, but it (thankfully) fizzled out before hitting the mainland.

Not over yet, but I don't think this hurricane would have been that memorable had it happened 75-100yrs ago IMO.
Nope, it underdelivered. Would have been just a big cat3 back in the day, as it really was yesterday.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:So did this live up to claims of being the most powerful hurricane experienced as some claimed? Seems like some of the islands really got hammered, but it (thankfully) fizzled out before hitting the mainland.

6 million w/out power, devastation statewide, massive flooding; yeah it was a big nothing-burger
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:

6 million w/out power, devastation statewide, massive flooding; yeah it was a big nothing-burger

it wasn't the worst storm ever. The media and pseudo-scientist set up an unreachable high bar of destruction.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:

:roll: Didn't say it wasn't a big storm. But, there isn't "massive" flooding or devastating in FL either. I'm reading 2 million without power. Yeah, that sucks, but it doesn't even make the list of largest power outages.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

:roll: Didn't say it wasn't a big storm. But, there isn't "massive" flooding or devastating in FL either. I'm reading 2 million without power. Yeah, that sucks, but it doesn't even make the list of largest power outages.

but, but, but global warming!
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

awesome guy wrote: but, but, but global warming!
Media was praying for death, destruction, and mayhem to blame on Trump. I'm sure they'll still blame him.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

This Fox News reporter got absolutely dunked on.
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:This Fox News reporter got absolutely dunked on.
That was pretty funny. I bet that reporter was wishing he had walked up to someone wearing an affliction t-shirt instead.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm watching reports right now. Massive flooding throughout the state on both coasts. Destruction and devastation everywhere. FPL says approximately 6M without power. Storm surge rising in Jacksonville is the worst in 100 years. But yeah, not Nagasaki level so NBD.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I'm watching reports right now. Massive flooding throughout the state on both coasts. Destruction and devastation everywhere. FPL says approximately 6M without power. Storm surge rising in Jacksonville is the worst in 100 years. But yeah, not Nagasaki level so NBD.

there's a large space between the worst storm in history and NBD. You're over in NBD for some strange reason.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

there's a large space between the worst storm in history and NBD. You're over in NBD for some strange reason.
Probably because you guys are trying to use storm as an argument that climate change is not real.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

there will be damage to some weaker structures, my older brother is in Orlando, has some fence damage and some water in the yard but he is good. Of course living in FL I don't get why all structures are not built to wind standards and elevated
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

there will be damage to some weaker structures, my older brother is in Orlando, has some fence damage and some water in the yard but he is good. Of course living in FL I don't get why all structures are not built to wind standards and elevated
I believe I heard that Florida has the most stringent hurricane building code in the nation.
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Was never touted as the worst storm in history -- that's you're hyperbole (and read USNs comment above). Was touted as possibly the worst storm to hit and impact Florida, and it appears that it was. In terms of widespread impact across the entire state, level of flooding, damage and devastation, extent of power outage, number of people impacted, etc. it is unsurpassed.
Last edited by 133743Hokie on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Probably because you guys are trying to use storm as an argument that climate change is not real.
Or, more accurately, as an argument that 3 hurricanes proof of man-made global warming do not make. :roll:
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:
Or, more accurately, as an argument that 3 hurricanes proof of man-made global warming do not make. :roll:
Yes, you guys have enjoyed intentionally misconstruing that article as well.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

you're the pissed off hater that was claiming the worst storm in history! was proof of your AGW silliness. You have it backwards, as usual. The storm not being the worst in history just showed how you're still FOS.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

you're the pissed off hater that was claiming the worst storm in history! was proof of your AGW silliness. You have it backwards, as usual. The storm not being the worst in history just showed how you're still FOS.[/quote]

Got it, AG.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

I believe I heard that Florida has the most stringent hurricane building code in the nation.
Actually the building codes have been somewhat nationalized now with local jurisdictions have some special provisions. Hurricane Andrew resulted in a complete change in approach to design for wind forces that applies to most states.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:Got it, AG.

stay pissed
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Was never touted as the worst storm in history -- that's you're hyperbole (and read USNs comment above). Was touted as possibly the worst storm to hit and impact Florida, and it appears that it was. In terms of widespread impact across the entire state, level of flooding, damage and devastation, extent of power outage, number of people impacted, etc. it is unsurpassed.

Wilma and Andrew would like a word...
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:Got it, AG.

stay pissed
Do you think I would post here if your ceaseless bullshit pissed me off, fat buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk