Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Man made hurricanes.
LMAO
Glad you think that is funny, but nobody says that this was a man made hurricane. This was made clear in the article. It would seem obvious, though, that warmer waters will make hurricanes worse. Obvious to all except this crowd apparently.
you do realize that the damage in this hurricane not all of it but a major portion of the dollar damage is going to be due to the flooding, the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water, it has to do with the unfortunate circumstance of having two high pressure systems parked on either side of TX at the exact same time as the hurricane came on shore. It if was not for that FACT the hurricane would have done the damage to the immediate area it came on shore at and then fallen apart as it moved north or NW or NE. There have been plenty of more powerful hurricanes before with less temperature in the waters of the gulf.... katrina ring a bell? or Hugo?, etc etc
That is simply incorrect, cwtcr. Warmer waters most definitely increase the water that is added to any hurricane.
wow, I am not sure how you missed the point so completely, let me capitalize for you IF THE TWO HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS HAD NOT BEEN PARKED WHERE THEY WERE AT THE EXACT TIME THE HURRICANE CAME ONSHORE THE STORM WOULD HAVE MOVED ON SATURDAY OUT OF THE AREA AND THE RAIN TOTALS WOULD BE MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH LESS.....GET IT?

The high pressure systems have zippo to do with global warming... get it????
You said " the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water." That is incorrect.

You are correct that the high pressure systems kept the storm in place. High water temperatures contributed to there being so much rain with the storm.
Incorrect, the rain in the hurricane was normal with any hurricane of that category, the duration it has sat on south TX is what caused all the rain in it and the damage. AGAIN, if the storm would have moved like a normal one then the rain would have been over by Sunday at the latest and it would be perfectly clear skies as hurricanes scrub out the skies as they pass by. It is the DURATION that caused the issues, which is very abnormal but was not caused by global warming
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Re: You rednecks don't want to hear this

Post by ip_law-hokie »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Glad you think that is funny, but nobody says that this was a man made hurricane. This was made clear in the article. It would seem obvious, though, that warmer waters will make hurricanes worse. Obvious to all except this crowd apparently.
you do realize that the damage in this hurricane not all of it but a major portion of the dollar damage is going to be due to the flooding, the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water, it has to do with the unfortunate circumstance of having two high pressure systems parked on either side of TX at the exact same time as the hurricane came on shore. It if was not for that FACT the hurricane would have done the damage to the immediate area it came on shore at and then fallen apart as it moved north or NW or NE. There have been plenty of more powerful hurricanes before with less temperature in the waters of the gulf.... katrina ring a bell? or Hugo?, etc etc
That is simply incorrect, cwtcr. Warmer waters most definitely increase the water that is added to any hurricane.
wow, I am not sure how you missed the point so completely, let me capitalize for you IF THE TWO HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS HAD NOT BEEN PARKED WHERE THEY WERE AT THE EXACT TIME THE HURRICANE CAME ONSHORE THE STORM WOULD HAVE MOVED ON SATURDAY OUT OF THE AREA AND THE RAIN TOTALS WOULD BE MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH LESS.....GET IT?

You said " the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water." That is incorrect.

You are correct that the high pressure systems kept the storm in place. High water temperatures contributed to there being so much rain with the storm.
Incorrect, the rain in the hurricane was normal with any hurricane of that category, the duration it has sat on south TX is what caused all the rain in it and the damage. AGAIN, if the storm would have moved like a normal one then the rain would have been over by Sunday at the latest and it would be perfectly clear skies as hurricanes scrub out the skies as they pass by. It is the DURATION that caused the issues, which is very abnormal but was not caused by global warming
I disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: you do realize that the damage in this hurricane not all of it but a major portion of the dollar damage is going to be due to the flooding, the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water, it has to do with the unfortunate circumstance of having two high pressure systems parked on either side of TX at the exact same time as the hurricane came on shore. It if was not for that FACT the hurricane would have done the damage to the immediate area it came on shore at and then fallen apart as it moved north or NW or NE. There have been plenty of more powerful hurricanes before with less temperature in the waters of the gulf.... katrina ring a bell? or Hugo?, etc etc

I disagree.

You can disagree, that just shows your pathetic comprehension of the event.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: That is simply incorrect, cwtcr. Warmer waters most definitely increase the water that is added to any hurricane.

I disagree.

Got it.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: wow, I am not sure how you missed the point so completely, let me capitalize for you IF THE TWO HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS HAD NOT BEEN PARKED WHERE THEY WERE AT THE EXACT TIME THE HURRICANE CAME ONSHORE THE STORM WOULD HAVE MOVED ON SATURDAY OUT OF THE AREA AND THE RAIN TOTALS WOULD BE MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH LESS.....GET IT?

I disagree.

Got it.

Not really
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: You said " the reason the flooding occurred has absolutely zero to do with global warming or warm water." That is incorrect.

I disagree.

Got it.

Not really
I'll go with scientists here. You can go with Cleetus.

https://www.google.com/amp/relay.nation ... ng-weather

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote: Incorrect, the rain in the hurricane was normal with any hurricane of that category, the duration it has sat on south TX is what caused all the rain in it and the damage. AGAIN, if the storm would have moved like a normal one then the rain would have been over by Sunday at the latest and it would be perfectly clear skies as hurricanes scrub out the skies as they pass by. It is the DURATION that caused the issues, which is very abnormal but was not caused by global warming
I disagree.

Got it.

Not really
I'll go with scientists here. You can go with Cleetus.

I'm with science you inbred single toothed simpleton.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
RiverguyVT wrote:Man made hurricanes.
LMAO
Glad you think that is funny, but nobody says that this was a man made hurricane. This was made clear in the article. It would seem obvious, though, that warmer waters will make hurricanes worse. Obvious to all except this crowd apparently.
Oh? Maybe I misunderstood the title of the article, then. And the comparison to lung cancer & drunk driving.

It was a stupid article. I do not accept their underlying premise
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote: I'll go with scientists here. You can go with Cleetus.

The entire proposition at that link is absurd. Were these scientists saying that global warming was a myth when we were on a multi-year tropical storm lull after 2005? No, of course not...because they're full of shirt.

You should read the black swan or study probability analysis.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I'll go with scientists here. You can go with Cleetus.

Two problems:
#1 the headline:
How Climate Change Likely Heightened Harvey’s Fury
And it could be said it Likely didn't. Likely is a weasel word meaning hey I don't have a clue but I'm going to run with it.

#2 relates directly to #1
And while scientists maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change, two centuries of human fossil-fuel burning has altered temperatures just enough to almost certainly make this particular storm worse.
So he starts off that scientist maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change he then gives his own journalistic opinion it almost certainly does.

So IP are you going with the scientist...And while scientists maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change or the journalist almost certainly :?:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Major Kong wrote:

Two problems:
#1 the headline:
And it could be said it Likely didn't. Likely is a weasel word meaning hey I don't have a clue but I'm going to run with it.

And while scientists maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change, two centuries of human fossil-fuel burning has altered temperatures just enough to almost certainly make this particular storm worse.
So he starts off that scientist maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change he then gives his own journalistic opinion it almost certainly does.

So IP are you going with the scientist...And while scientists maintain that no single weather event can be attributed to climate change or the journalist almost certainly :?:
I don't find the two to be inconsistent.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

IP is almost certainly full of crap.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Two problems:
#1 the headline:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can we make a bet out of this?........

Let's see.......in 20 years, if Al Gores predictions come true I'll owe you $1million dollars.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:IP is almost certainly full of crap.
Are you a climate change denialist, or do you refute that climate change is occurring due to human activity.

It's fine to suggest I'm full of crap, but it seems only fair to elaborate on your position here.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Major Kong wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:But it doesn't make it any less true.

Harvey, the Storm That Humans Helped Cause
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/opin ... cause.html

Meh these environmeddling ecoloons were writing the same thing after Katrina...We haven't had an hyperactive ACE season in the Atlantic since 2010, there hasn't been an individual hurricane ACE over 70 since Ivan in 2004. Harvey so far has registered a 10.7.

To make matters more telling the loon author only focuses on the US in his diatribe but as in classic liberal racist nitwittery doesn't say a word about the global cyclone season. Noru so far is the leader at 34.57 worldwide...it affected Japan. He's a ½witted economics editorial writer he needs to stick to that genre.
Apparently, that wasn't paying the bills, so he's diversifying.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

ip_law-hokie wrote:I don't find the two to be inconsistent.

OK
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Major Kong wrote:

Two problems:
#1 the headline:

Said with the understanding of a teenage boy who loves arguing with his Dad.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
Are you a climate change denialist, or do you refute that climate change is occurring due to human activity.

It's fine to suggest I'm full of crap, but it seems only fair to elaborate on your position here.

That's a great idea. Linking to disingenuous articles is not an argument, by the way.

I've been pretty consistent on this. The first step in an honest conversation on the topic is establishing the scope of the disagreement:

Q: Do humans influence climate? A: Sure.

Q: Is the earth warming? A: Sure.

Q: Are humans the primary drivers in the warming of the earth? A: I'm very skeptical.

Q: Does the risk that AGW is real outbalance the US and Western economies? IE - is the situation critical enough to warrant crippling our economy as these measures undoubtedly would by placing us at a disadvantage against economies like China? A: No.

Q: Does the threat that AGW is real outbalance the right of people in emerging countries to have access to things like electricity, heat, and clean running water? A: That's not my place.

Q: Do AGW researchers benefit from research which supports the theory of AGW? A: Absolutely. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar or an idiot. There's big research $ in finding the the Loch Ness AGW monster.

Most importantly:

Q: Is global warming a political issue? Those on the left like to pretend it isn't - or shouldn't be, but it is. AGW couldn't have been better tailored to pursue central government control of economies, wealth transfer, etc. A: its absolutely a political issue. There's a funny nickname for AGW believers like ManBearPig/Uprising(RIP) : "Watermelons." Why? Because they're green on the outside, and red on the inside.

Famous quote in statistics: "All models are wrong, some are useful, some are deadly" (many derivatives / variations, but you get the point). Whenever someone tells you "the model says... ", run away.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:

The entire proposition at that link is absurd. Were these scientists saying that global warming was a myth when we were on a multi-year tropical storm lull after 2005? No, of course not...because they're full of shirt.

Right on cue. I love this guy.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:

Everybody agrees the planet is changing, do you disagree that this was happening way before industrialization but even if humans are 100% to blame, in order to stop it don't you have to stop all emissions from every source? How do you get the planet to agree to that?

Yes the planet is changing and weather and natural events can be a terrible thing to deal with
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Everybody agrees the planet is changing, do you disagree that this was happening way before industrialization but even if humans are 100% to blame, in order to stop it don't you have to stop all emissions from every source? How do you get the planet to agree to that?

Yes the planet is changing and weather and natural events can be a terrible thing to deal with
It's true. Other than the ones in Ice Age, the dinosaurs had brains too small to do anything about it. You sound a little like a dinosaur.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
cwtcr hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

It's true. Other than the ones in Ice Age, the dinosaurs had brains too small to do anything about it. You sound a little like a dinosaur.
thanks for being a douche, try answering the question before you throw out the criticism of me. But I know, you have no answers, just the douche factor.......got it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Man made hurricanes. LOL!
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Right on cue. I love this guy.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:But it doesn't make it any less true.

Harvey, the Storm That Humans Helped Cause
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/opin ... cause.html
This is a great response to the hysteria.