Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: The Real Reason the US Navy Keeps Hitting Merchant Vesse

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: What does that article have to do with social training? The biggest training issues occurred in ships based overseas, because they spent significantly more time on operations, and significantly less time on training, because they needed them operational for longer periods of time than in the past. And when you add in longer maintenance periods, you have a lot less time available for training. The report says the US homeport ships are adequately trained. Now, if you're in a situation like that, you shouldn't be spending your training time learning about the gender alphabet, but we don't even know if the overseas homeport ships are getting that training.
Everything!
You two bozos don't think that additional administrative training on liberal social issues doesn't impact real training? This is fascinating, you two should report your Google search results to the DoD! [emoji38]
I think H2 is confusing his 15 minute computer based training on diversity with what happens in the service. It's not an applicable transference of experience.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: What does that article have to do with social training? The biggest training issues occurred in ships based overseas, because they spent significantly more time on operations, and significantly less time on training, because they needed them operational for longer periods of time than in the past. And when you add in longer maintenance periods, you have a lot less time available for training. The report says the US homeport ships are adequately trained. Now, if you're in a situation like that, you shouldn't be spending your training time learning about the gender alphabet, but we don't even know if the overseas homeport ships are getting that training.
1. You didn't read my original article. The quote I included was only one of his points.

2. Everyone, from Seaman Schmuckatelli to the CNO, completes the training.

3. Crew training was one of several items mentioned in the GAO report.
I did read your original article. It was very light on the social training article, yet that's the thing you highlighted.

As for training, "In May 2015, we also found that high operational tempo for ships homeported overseas limits the time for crew training when compared with training time for ships homeported in the United States. Navy officials told us that U.S.-based crews are completely qualified and certified prior to deploying from their U.S. homeports, with few exceptions. In contrast, the high operational tempo of ships homeported overseas had resulted in what Navy personnel called a “train on the margins” approach, a shorthand way to say there was
no dedicated training time set aside for the ships so crews trained while underway or in the limited time between underway periods. We found that, at the time of our 2015 review, there were no dedicated training periods built into the operational schedules of the cruisers, destroyers, and amphibious ships homeported in Yokosuka and Sasebo, Japan. As a result, these crews did not have all of their needed training and certifications."
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The ships are forward deployed, so they never enter a formal training cycle. They're supposed to be in a constant state of readiness, but they still have training requirements. Again, that's a small piece of both links I provided.

Apologies if my quotation threw you off. Provocative headlines and quotes are meant to grab the reader's attention and make them read the article. If you and H2 are any indication, I've failed there. :mrgreen:
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
1. You didn't read my original article. The quote I included was only one of his points.

I did read your original article. It was very light on the social training article, yet that's the thing you highlighted.

As for training, "In May 2015, we also found that high operational tempo for ships homeported overseas limits the time for crew training when compared with training time for ships homeported in the United States. Navy officials told us that U.S.-based crews are completely qualified and certified prior to deploying from their U.S. homeports, with few exceptions. In contrast, the high operational tempo of ships homeported overseas had resulted in what Navy personnel called a “train on the margins” approach, a shorthand way to say there was
no dedicated training time set aside for the ships so crews trained while underway or in the limited time between underway periods. We found that, at the time of our 2015 review, there were no dedicated training periods built into the operational schedules of the cruisers, destroyers, and amphibious ships homeported in Yokosuka and Sasebo, Japan. As a result, these crews did not have all of their needed training and certifications."
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The ships are forward deployed, so they never enter a formal training cycle. They're supposed to be in a constant state of readiness, but they still have training requirements. Again, that's a small piece of both links I provided.

Apologies if my quotation threw you off. Provocative headlines and quotes are meant to grab the reader's attention and make them read the article. If you and H2 are any indication, I've failed there. :mrgreen:
You've only failed at reading. The GAO report, which is what I quoted, highlights the increased operational tempo, smaller crew size, longer deployment cycles, and longer maintenance cycles, as reasons for the increase in accidents, and points out that all those factors decrease the amount of training they're receiving, leading to people not having all the training and certs they need. Maybe you should read the GAO report.....
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You've only failed at reading. The GAO report, which is what I quoted, highlights the increased operational tempo, smaller crew size, longer deployment cycles, and longer maintenance cycles, as reasons for the increase in accidents, and points out that all those factors decrease the amount of training they're receiving, leading to people not having all the training and certs they need. Maybe you should read the GAO report.....
... Just like my original article. I love these threads where DC goes off half cocked white knighting, says something silly, actually reads the material and educates himself along the way, then calls everyone stupid. That's some mighty fine googling, DC!

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

... Just like my original article. I love these threads where DC goes off half cocked white knighting, says something silly, actually reads the material and educates himself along the way, then calls everyone stupid. That's some mighty fine googling, DC!

LOL. I didn't say anything silly, I referenced your article directly.

I pointed out that your comments about social training aren't justified by the articles. And while you may want to try and walk back the focus of your original post, your white knighting bunk mate fell right in line with you, then you repeated your belief about social training and it's impact. And another poster also jumped on the social training is evil bandwagon. All of which is your own speculation, not supported by YOUR articles.

Yet, you only call out me and H2, when 2 other people parroted your supposed clickbait quote, which is silly.

And I don't get your fascination with "googling". I read the GAO report that was in the article YOU posted. It said nothing about social training, and contradicted your claims that everyone completes their training.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: ... Just like my original article. I love these threads where DC goes off half cocked white knighting, says something silly, actually reads the material and educates himself along the way, then calls everyone stupid. That's some mighty fine googling, DC!

I pointed out that your comments about social training aren't justified by the articles. And while you may want to try and walk back the focus of your original post, your white knighting bunk mate fell right in line with you, then you repeated your belief about social training and it's impact. And another poster also jumped on the social training is evil bandwagon. All of which is your own speculation, not supported by YOUR articles.

Yet, you only call out me and H2, when 2 other people parroted your supposed clickbait quote, which is silly.

And I don't get your fascination with "googling". I read the GAO report that was in the article YOU posted. It said nothing about social training, and contradicted your claims that everyone completes their training.
That's cute - nowhere was it said or implied that was the sole factor. Only a retard would think that.

It is a factor, though. The GAO report and my original story say there's not enough time for training. Guess what - transgender awareness training and all that BS is training. It's all a piece of the same pie, so don't pretend there's any contradiction.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

FTFY
People who know, know.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: ... Just like my original article. I love these threads where DC goes off half cocked white knighting, says something silly, actually reads the material and educates himself along the way, then calls everyone stupid. That's some mighty fine googling, DC!

That's cute - nowhere was it said or implied that was the sole factor. Only a retard would think that.

It is a factor, though. The GAO report and my original story say there's not enough time for training. Guess what - transgender awareness training and all that BS is training. It's all a piece of the same pie, so don't pretend there's any contradiction.

There's only 2 people here that solely commented on the social justice training. You going to call them retards???

The GAO gave specific reasons for lack of training, and the social training was not mentioned. If it was a major part, I think it would have been in there, along with the other factors they thought were major.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: What's the Economists take?
Everyone should read credible sources more. An informed opinion is a hell of a lot better than unsubstantiated feelings.
When the Economist gets into political issues their pronounced bias is too much for me. I really don't need the Euro opinion of the US. They have enough of their own problems that they don't need to be critiquing us -- get their own house in order.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

There's only 2 people here that solely commented on the social justice training. You going to call them retards???

The GAO gave specific reasons for lack of training, and the social training was not mentioned. If it was a major part, I think it would have been in there, along with the other factors they thought were major.
"Solely commenting" on something doesn't make it the sole cause. Only a retard would think that.....

JFC, why do you always do this, DC?
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

133743Hokie wrote:
TheH2 wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: What's the Economists take?
Everyone should read credible sources more. An informed opinion is a hell of a lot better than unsubstantiated feelings.
When the Economist gets into political issues their pronounced bias is too much for me. I really don't need the Euro opinion of the US. They have enough of their own problems that they don't need to be critiquing us -- get their own house in order.
That really only comes out in the last column of a section: Lexington, Banyan, Charlemagne, and Bagehot which are editorials. The remainder they present numerous sides to an issue. Republicans think they lean too far left and democrats say it's too far right. They claim to have a "liberal" bias.

FWIW: They hire journalists from all over the world and they are located in the area they are covering.
People who know, know.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:This interview nails it. Read the whole thing at the link.
http://inhomelandsecurity.com/reason-na ... t-vessels/

There is no way on my ships that would have happened. We always had direct leadership. Leadership that was there, present and capable. I am willing to bet that those ships involved in incidents with merchants had all their sexual orientation, transgender training, and environmental training all completed at the expense of the safety and operational training.

If you put the emphasis on social issues, you get a social force. If you put it on operational issues, you get an operational force.
That's a silly article with a bald assertion that happens to align with your preconceived notion.

Not much to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:This interview nails it. Read the whole thing at the link.
http://inhomelandsecurity.com/reason-na ... t-vessels/

There is no way on my ships that would have happened. We always had direct leadership. Leadership that was there, present and capable. I am willing to bet that those ships involved in incidents with merchants had all their sexual orientation, transgender training, and environmental training all completed at the expense of the safety and operational training.

If you put the emphasis on social issues, you get a social force. If you put it on operational issues, you get an operational force.
That's a silly article with a bald assertion that happens to align with your preconceived notion.

Not much to see here.

You don't think you get what you emphasize? That seems pretty well accepted and provable.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

Did not read the article. The same thing is happening in schools.

A seaman only has a certain number of hours in a week. Every hour spent in sensitivity training is an hour absolutely wasted and lost to learning about compass declination. Just as every 4th grader spending time in "history of Mali" has lost more important opportunity in Virginia history.

Effin libs.
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

RiverguyVT wrote:Did not read the article. The same thing is happening in schools.

A seaman only has a certain number of hours in a week. Every hour spent in sensitivity training is an hour absolutely wasted and lost to learning about compass declination. Just as every 4th grader spending time in "history of Mali" has lost more important opportunity in Virginia history.

Effin libs.
Yep. For example, there's a 72pg manual discussing transgender requirements, training, implementation, etc. which was distributed to everyone.

Most civies don't understand this, but the military isn't a 9-5 job. These officers navigating these ships are responsible for almost every facet of their soldiers/sailors lives, from taking them to court when they get a DUI, to negotiating with a pawn shop when they can't make payments on their wife's wedding ring, to making sure they've watched a grilling safety video before labor day (I'm not joking). On top of all this, they have equipment to maintain and stand up to 12hrs of watch a day underway while also getting qualified on the next watchstation.

All of this *training* is time intensive and none of it prevents ships from colliding. I've been out about 10yrs, and all my friends who are still in say it's worse now. It's 100% correct to say there's been a shift away from an emphasis on operations.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

"Solely commenting" on something doesn't make it the sole cause. Only a retard would think that.....

I never said that, and I never said that you thought it was the sole cause. Why do YOU always do that?

Just admit you wanted to bash social training, and make it out to be more impactful than it was. And 2 ppl fell in line with you, probably b/c they didn't actually read the articles that gave the real reasons for the accidents.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I never said that, and I never said that you thought it was the sole cause. Why do YOU always do that?

Just admit you wanted to bash social training, and make it out to be more impactful than it was. And 2 ppl fell in line with you, probably b/c they didn't actually read the articles that gave the real reasons for the accidents.
Because he's right and you're not. Why would we be wrong with you?
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: "Solely commenting" on something doesn't make it the sole cause. Only a retard would think that.....

1. JFC... I quoted you. :roll:
2. The only person in this thread who argued the summation of the original article's argument was social issues was you. I didn’t misrepresent your argument.
3. Thanks for your Google expertise on Navy training! I'll be sure to pass on your 20 seconds of actually reading the articles I posted for incorporation into the next revision of the SFTM.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: "Solely commenting" on something doesn't make it the sole cause. Only a retard would think that.....

2. The only person in this thread who argued the summation of the original article's argument was social issues was you. I didn’t misrepresent your argument.
3. Thanks for your Google expertise on Navy training! I'll be sure to pass on your 20 seconds of actually reading the articles I posted for incorporation into the next revision of the SFTM.
It's impossible to unwind all the things I've said, that you've misrepresented.
You quoting me, then not comprehending what I said, or making up your own interpretation, is you misrepresenting me.

My argument was that the takeaway most ppl would get from ur first post was that social training was the reason behind the accidents. And then you had posters only talking about that, and not the other major reasons. If you wanted to have a serious discussion about the reasons, you wouldn't have chosen misleading clickbait for ur post.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

You quoting me, then not comprehending what I said, or making up your own interpretation, is you misrepresenting me.

My argument was that the takeaway most ppl would get from ur first post was that social training was the reason behind the accidents. And then you had posters only talking about that, and not the other major reasons. If you wanted to have a serious discussion about the reasons, you wouldn't have chosen misleading clickbait for ur post.
I'm sorry you forgot to read the part where I said "Read the whole thing at the link." I'm sure that was very confusing and misleading to you.

Your tiresome shtick of quibbling over minutiae is like something from a Seinfeld episode. Give it a break.
HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

I'm sorry you forgot to read the part where I said "Read the whole thing at the link." I'm sure that was very confusing and misleading to you.

Your tiresome shtick of quibbling over minutiae is like something from a Seinfeld episode. Give it a break.
WADR, the shtick is yours. I read the articles and posted the relevant points from them, because you didn't...and most people weren't going to read the articles. You're the one that started with your silliness once I did that. What I posted wasn't minutiae...your responses were.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote:

WADR, the shtick is yours. I read the articles and posted the relevant points from them, because you didn't...and most people weren't going to read the articles. You're the one that started with your silliness once I did that. What I posted wasn't minutiae...your responses were.
Cap'n was being an asshole and should apologize.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

HokieFanDC wrote: WADR, the shtick is yours. I read the articles and posted the relevant points from them, because you didn't...and most people weren't going to read the articles. You're the one that started with your silliness once I did that. What I posted wasn't minutiae...your responses were.
Ahh, so now your argument is that I should have known you were too lazy to read the article and provided summary bullet points for you. Please DC, don't ever change! :lol:

By the way, when was the last time you even posted an article? Seems like you just try to shirt on other peoples' threads.
TheH2

Post by TheH2 »

USN_Hokie wrote:
HokieFanDC wrote: WADR, the shtick is yours. I read the articles and posted the relevant points from them, because you didn't...and most people weren't going to read the articles. You're the one that started with your silliness once I did that. What I posted wasn't minutiae...your responses were.
Ahh, so now your argument is that I should have known you were too lazy to read the article and provided summary bullet points for you. Please DC, don't ever change! :lol:

By the way, when was the last time you even posted an article? Seems like you just try to shirt on other peoples' threads.
Solution, don't post shirty threads. See where I fixed your initial post. That was more reasonable, but reasonable is not your MO.
People who know, know.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

TheH2 wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

Solution, don't post shirty threads. See where I fixed your initial post. That was more reasonable, but reasonable is not your MO.
You responded with one post where you embarrassed yourself by posting a Greenpeace study which wasn't even relevant to the discussion. You might want to wait until a Rothschild publication writes an article on this topic before responding again. :mrgreen: