Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
I85hokie
Alma Mater: VT
Party: Independent

Hurricane Maria

Post by I85hokie »

Looks like Puerto Rico just took a direct hit. Truly awful, probably like Katrina x10 for them.

Maybe too early to say, but this will have some political ramifications. PR was already on the verge of the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history. And their economy has been so bad that they have lost population in the last decade (with Florida being the destination of choice). This storm may very well create an even more massive population surge to the mainland. Puerto Rican's tend to vote overwhelmingly Democrat, btw.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Re: Hurricane Maria

Post by USN_Hokie »

The political ramifications came to my mind as well. If Hillary had won, I think there would be a huge move to make them the 51st state creating a permanent democrat majority.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

I85hokie wrote:Looks like Puerto Rico just took a direct hit. Truly awful, probably like Katrina x10 for them.

Maybe too early to say, but this will have some political ramifications. PR was already on the verge of the largest municipal bankruptcy in US history. And their economy has been so bad that they have lost population in the last decade (with Florida being the destination of choice). This storm may very well create an even more massive population surge to the mainland. Puerto Rican's tend to vote overwhelmingly Democrat, btw.
PR is screwed royally, alot of the structures will not be able to hold up to Maria and PR was also being used as the staging area for the rest of the islands as Irma did not hit PR hard. I feel for those folks in the Caribbean, it is going to be a hard go for quite some time
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:The political ramifications came to my mind as well. If Hillary had won, I think there would be a huge move to make them the 51st state creating a permanent democrat majority.
Did you find this storm to be acceptably strong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
BigDave
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

They were talking on the news this morning about wood houses with tin roofs. I don't understand how that exists in Puerto Rico. The entire Caribbean is a battering ram for hurricanes - how are they not big on making structures that can withstand them?
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

BigDave wrote:They were talking on the news this morning about wood houses with tin roofs. I don't understand how that exists in Puerto Rico. The entire Caribbean is a battering ram for hurricanes - how are they not big on making structures that can withstand them?
Dave - I'm sure some of these islands have a GDP less than Richmond.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:The political ramifications came to my mind as well. If Hillary had won, I think there would be a huge move to make them the 51st state creating a permanent democrat majority.

We need to increase our green house gas output to make more man made hurricanes with acceptable strength.
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

We need to increase our green house gas output to make more man made hurricanes with acceptable strength.

Helped create.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Helped create.

That's a distinction without a difference; I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

If you knocked up a chick (God help us), you "helped create" it. That doesn't mean the woman could have had that baby without you (God help us). Ugh...should have picked a better analogy. :?

"caused" is functionally the same as "helped create" here. Global warming is a dependent variable in each instance.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Helped create.

That's a distinction without a difference; I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

If you knocked up a chick (God help us), you "helped create" it. That doesn't mean the woman could have had that baby without you (God help us). Ugh...should have picked a better analogy. :?

"caused" is functionally the same as "helped create" here. Global warming is a dependent variable in each instance.
You can't comprehend how warmer water makes hurricanes stronger? Maybe you could do some wordsmithing and find a definition of "helped" that supports your theory.

awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Helped create.

You can't comprehend how warmer water makes hurricanes stronger? Maybe you could do some wordsmithing and find a definition of "helped" that supports your theory.

It's only warmer by making the past colder(NOAA raw data edits) and adding in deep sea temps which are another new measuring capability. IE, warning is more liberal bullshit.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Did you find this storm to be acceptably strong?

Helped create.

It's only warmer by making the past colder(NOAA raw data edits) and adding in deep sea temps which are another new measuring capability. IE, warning is more liberal bullshit.
OK. Hope you are right.

HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

OK. Hope you are right.
In lite of recent revelations, I think we're fine...........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/e ... wrong.html
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote: We need to increase our green house gas output to make more man made hurricanes with acceptable strength.

Helped create.

OK. Hope you are right.

I am right. This isn't close to a record hurricane year and we'd already seen a bunch instead of a lull if you were right.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Helped create.

You might want to sit down for this: warm water existed before the industrial revolution. :o
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: Did you find this storm to be acceptably strong?

Helped create.

You might want to sit down for this: warm water existed before the industrial revolution. :o
This is where they claim the deep and barely measured currents are hiding all the nonexistent surface warming.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:.

Helped create.

OK. Hope you are right.

I am right. This isn't close to a record hurricane year and we'd already seen a bunch instead of a lull if you were right.
Awesome.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: That's a distinction without a difference; I don't know why you keep bringing it up.

OK. Hope you are right.

Awesome.

It is! Don't you follow this stuff?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: You can't comprehend how warmer water makes hurricanes stronger? Maybe you could do some wordsmithing and find a definition of "helped" that supports your theory.

OK. Hope you are right.

Awesome.

I try, though I'm not an expert.

awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:It's only warmer by making the past colder(NOAA raw data edits) and adding in deep sea temps which are another new measuring capability. IE, warning is more liberal bullshit.
OK. Hope you are right.

Awesome.

The data edits and claims of deep current heat hiding are well documented, so is all previous models being laughably off. I'm an agnostic in your religion of Gala worship so get a holistic view.
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

BigDave wrote:They were talking on the news this morning about wood houses with tin roofs. I don't understand how that exists in Puerto Rico. The entire Caribbean is a battering ram for hurricanes - how are they not big on making structures that can withstand them?
little enforcement of any building codes and remember for instance PR has not been hit this hard in like 80 years, people thought they would be fine
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
HokieHam wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

Helped create.

warm water and warmer water was around long before the 1960's or so. FYI, scientists are saying that the North Pole has gained a very large amount of ice.....so maybe the planet is changing and
there is little to nothing you or I do that will change that. Also FYI, even if the US was to shutter every single coal power plant in the country the rest of the planet is building them at a high rate so how are you going to change or stop the rest of the planet?

I know you won't answer, discussion is hard
cwtcr hokie

Post by cwtcr hokie »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
We need to increase our green house gas output to make more man made hurricanes with acceptable strength.[/quote].

Helped create.

"caused" is functionally the same as "helped create" here. Global warming is a dependent variable in each instance.[/quote]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]It's only warmer by making the past colder(NOAA raw data edits) and adding in deep sea temps which are another new measuring capability. IE, warning is more liberal bullshit.[/quote]

OK. Hope you are right.

news flash, THE PLANET IS CHANGING, you do realize that the above sea level borders of countries has changed over time and countries have changed. But yes THE PLANET IS CHANGING, it may in fact change so much that we humans go the hell away
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Imagine chocolate city New Orleans...now imagine it's an island in the Caribbean. I'm not surprised at all.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote: OK. Hope you are right.

Awesome.

The data edits and claims of deep current heat hiding are well documented, so is all previous models being laughably off. I'm an agnostic in your religion of Gala worship so get a holistic view.
[emoji106][emoji106]