Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Re: Trump: 'Tell That Son of a B***h He's Fired'

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:Fox and CBS will air all national anthems today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sound giddy.
I'm entertained by this. I'm a football fan and will watch the sport anyway because I'm not a pussy, triggered snowflake. How some players observe the anthem won't impact my viewing of it.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

UpstateSCHokie wrote:You would think that the suits in the NFL front office would be smarter than this given the large salaries they make. But in the world of the liberal bubble (NE coast and left coast), I have learned that being PC and being "right" left on the all issues is more important than silly things like ratings and knowing your customer base - all you have to do is look at so-called "news" outlets like CNN who are committed to hating Trump even at the expense of their own ratings.

Anyways, its not like the NFL didn't have an example of how NOT to behave. All they had to do was look at what happened to NASCAR. FTR, I have never been a NASCAR fan because I just don't really dig car racing, but I used to respect that organization for its refusal to bow at the alter of political correctness. Heck, they named their largest trophy after a cigarette company! It didn't get more non-PC than that. But I knew they were headed down the wrong path when they finally caved and renamed the famous Winston Cup. From there they decided to be anti-Trump, pro-gay, anti-Confederate Flag, and anti-America.

Who is running that organization? Do they have any clue who their core base of customers were? In the 90's they had a chance to become one of the top 3 or 4 sports in the country. Now look at them, they are a shell of their former selves.

==============================================

Ruining NASCAR
By Ronda Rich on February 7, 2017

We were cleaning up the dishes from Sunday dinner when Rodney called me into the living room where he was watching TV.

“Look at this,” he pointed to the NASCAR race being broadcast live from Bristol, Tenn. My eyes widened. I shook my head.

“Rodney, that can’t be. It just can’t.”

He nodded. “It is. It’s today and it’s the big race.” I demanded that he rewind the DVR and let me watch again. There in color was the truth. The stands had few people in them. Maybe they were 50 percent full but, honestly, it looked more like 25 percent. I’ve seen more people show up for a Saturday night dirt track race.

I knew this was coming. I wasn’t sure, though, I’d live to see it but I knew that when the sport started chasing big city shine and shucking off its country moonshine that the heart of the fans – the country folks like me – would turn and head to the house. They’d hang up their Earnhardt, Gordon or Johnson hats and call it a day. I figured the rougher ones would cuss and carry on about how the sport that “we done gone and made what it is” had become “what ain’t worth a plug nickel.”

About eight years ago, I requested media credentials for a Talladega race so I could write about a day at the track that I loved and had given me many memories when I was working in the sport as a publicist for corporate sponsors. The PR person in charge of credentials called.

“Send me some clips and I’ll decide if I’ll issue you a credential.” I almost choked. First on incredulity and, second, on anger.

“I’m syndicated. I don’t collect clips,” I responded, remembering the time when a Washington Post writer named Angus Philips showed up in Pocono to write a piece on Earnhardt, Sr., and we PR people fell over ourselves to show him the meaning of Southern hospitality. It was the first time a big paper had shown us any attention.

She snapped hatefully. “Then, you won’t get a credential.”

I called her boss who, when he learned of her arrogance, responded, “I’m on my way to her office. You’ll get both an apology and a credential.” I did.

But that kind of uppity treatment from people who rode on the coat tails and skirt tails of PR people like me was bound to sabotage them sooner or later.

Here’s the other problems that someone needs to tell the folks in Daytona Beach since they don’t seem to remember their core fans:

•You don’t ban the name of Jesus. I listen to the prayers. They’re politically correct.

•You don’t replace Tim McGraw singing the national anthem with Mariah Carey.

•You don’t take races away from the sport’s heartland. Places like Atlanta, Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, Darlington, Nashville. I’m still mad about all of ‘em but Atlanta particularly infuriates me because it’s the Southeast’s biggest city, one of the oldest race tracks and because I believe that my friend and its president, Ed Clark, deserves better after the 35 years of sweat and love he has put into the sport.

• You don’t take away the emotional connection that fans built with drivers like Darrell Waltrip, Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett. Those guys worked hard for years before they won. Now, they just plunk an unknown teenager in a car with a huge sponsor and he wins. Big deal.

•You don’t come out aggressively on a political issue of a flag, like it or not. You might offer an exchange but ain’t nobody gonna tell a good ol’ boy from Alabama what to do when it breeches his First Amendment rights. Uh-uh.

I could go on but it’s needless. The white flag has fallen on NASCAR’s greatest glory days and the checkered flag is about to fly.

[Ronda Rich is the best-selling author of “There’s A Better Day A-Comin’.” Visit http://www.rondarich.com to sign up for her free weekly newsletter.]

http://thecitizen.com/2017/02/07/ruining-nascar/
I dunno about the Jesus stuff, but NASCAR abandoning their southern roots is the root cause of their downfall. Popularity didn't pick up in the rest of the country and the South walked away in large numbers, so they simply got greedy. It also hurts that their TV start times are inconsistent. In the NFL, it's generally 1:00, 4:00, and 8:25 each Sunday. I know what times the games will be on. Before I stopped watching NASCAR, it used to be frustrating not having the same start time each week.

USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.
I'm entertained by this. I'm a football fan and will watch the sport anyway because I'm not a pussy, triggered snowflake. How some players observe the anthem won't impact my viewing of it.

Ahh yes, the nolan life: where being a little b*tch who stands for nothing somehow makes you not a pussy. :lol:

Once again, nolan reacts how a woman would when presented with conflict. I'm truly sorry that your upbringing lacked any adult role models.

To end on a positive note, at least this incident has made you show your true colors and put to rest any claims that you're conservative in any way.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
UpstateSCHokie wrote:You would think that the suits in the NFL front office would be smarter than this given the large salaries they make. But in the world of the liberal bubble (NE coast and left coast), I have learned that being PC and being "right" left on the all issues is more important than silly things like ratings and knowing your customer base - all you have to do is look at so-called "news" outlets like CNN who are committed to hating Trump even at the expense of their own ratings.

Anyways, its not like the NFL didn't have an example of how NOT to behave. All they had to do was look at what happened to NASCAR. FTR, I have never been a NASCAR fan because I just don't really dig car racing, but I used to respect that organization for its refusal to bow at the alter of political correctness. Heck, they named their largest trophy after a cigarette company! It didn't get more non-PC than that. But I knew they were headed down the wrong path when they finally caved and renamed the famous Winston Cup. From there they decided to be anti-Trump, pro-gay, anti-Confederate Flag, and anti-America.

Who is running that organization? Do they have any clue who their core base of customers were? In the 90's they had a chance to become one of the top 3 or 4 sports in the country. Now look at them, they are a shell of their former selves.

Ruining NASCAR

We were cleaning up the dishes from Sunday dinner when Rodney called me into the living room where he was watching TV.

“Look at this,” he pointed to the NASCAR race being broadcast live from Bristol, Tenn. My eyes widened. I shook my head.

He nodded. “It is. It’s today and it’s the big race.” I demanded that he rewind the DVR and let me watch again. There in color was the truth. The stands had few people in them. Maybe they were 50 percent full but, honestly, it looked more like 25 percent. I’ve seen more people show up for a Saturday night dirt track race.

I knew this was coming. I wasn’t sure, though, I’d live to see it but I knew that when the sport started chasing big city shine and shucking off its country moonshine that the heart of the fans – the country folks like me – would turn and head to the house. They’d hang up their Earnhardt, Gordon or Johnson hats and call it a day. I figured the rougher ones would cuss and carry on about how the sport that “we done gone and made what it is” had become “what ain’t worth a plug nickel.”

About eight years ago, I requested media credentials for a Talladega race so I could write about a day at the track that I loved and had given me many memories when I was working in the sport as a publicist for corporate sponsors. The PR person in charge of credentials called.

“Send me some clips and I’ll decide if I’ll issue you a credential.” I almost choked. First on incredulity and, second, on anger.

“I’m syndicated. I don’t collect clips,” I responded, remembering the time when a Washington Post writer named Angus Philips showed up in Pocono to write a piece on Earnhardt, Sr., and we PR people fell over ourselves to show him the meaning of Southern hospitality. It was the first time a big paper had shown us any attention.

I called her boss who, when he learned of her arrogance, responded, “I’m on my way to her office. You’ll get both an apology and a credential.” I did.

But that kind of uppity treatment from people who rode on the coat tails and skirt tails of PR people like me was bound to sabotage them sooner or later.

Here’s the other problems that someone needs to tell the folks in Daytona Beach since they don’t seem to remember their core fans:

•You don’t ban the name of Jesus. I listen to the prayers. They’re politically correct.

•You don’t take races away from the sport’s heartland. Places like Atlanta, Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, Darlington, Nashville. I’m still mad about all of ‘em but Atlanta particularly infuriates me because it’s the Southeast’s biggest city, one of the oldest race tracks and because I believe that my friend and its president, Ed Clark, deserves better after the 35 years of sweat and love he has put into the sport.

• You don’t take away the emotional connection that fans built with drivers like Darrell Waltrip, Bill Elliott, Dale Jarrett. Those guys worked hard for years before they won. Now, they just plunk an unknown teenager in a car with a huge sponsor and he wins. Big deal.

•You don’t come out aggressively on a political issue of a flag, like it or not. You might offer an exchange but ain’t nobody gonna tell a good ol’ boy from Alabama what to do when it breeches his First Amendment rights. Uh-uh.

I could go on but it’s needless. The white flag has fallen on NASCAR’s greatest glory days and the checkered flag is about to fly.

[Ronda Rich is the best-selling author of “There’s A Better Day A-Comin’.” Visit http://www.rondarich.com to sign up for her free weekly newsletter.]

I dunno about the Jesus stuff, but NASCAR abandoning their southern roots is the root cause of their downfall. Popularity didn't pick up in the rest of the country and the South walked away in large numbers, so they simply got greedy. It also hurts that their TV start times are inconsistent. In the NFL, it's generally 1:00, 4:00, and 8:25 each Sunday. I know what times the games will be on. Before I stopped watching NASCAR, it used to be frustrating not having the same start time each week.

Didn't they change the start of the late game to 4:30 because the early games always ran late?
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

Ruining NASCAR

Didn't they change the start of the late game to 4:30 because the early games always ran late?
True. The late afternoon games start between 4-4:30.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

Ahh yes, the nolan life: where being a little b*tch who stands for nothing somehow makes you not a pussy. :lol:

Once again, nolan reacts how a woman would when presented with conflict. I'm truly sorry that your upbringing lacked any adult role models.

To end on a positive note, at least this incident has made you show your true colors and put to rest any claims that you're conservative in any way.
I choose to let tangible factors affect my entertainment consumption, which has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism. I watch movies, tv shows, and sports if I find them to be entertaining and of a high quality, even if I disagree with someone's political views.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Fantastic twist: the Steelers aren't coming out of the locker room for the national anthem.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

nolanvt wrote:Fantastic twist: the Steelers aren't coming out of the locker room for the national anthem.
I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually went back to this. It wasn't always the case where players had to be on the field for the anthem.

HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

You seem upset that actions have consequences.

Boy, meet world.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

Boy, meet world.
Wha? What should I be upset about exactly?

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

Boy, meet world.
There do seem to be some people upset (or willing to die, or something) in this thread. But they are not triggered.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

Boy, meet world.

You seem offended that some people take the flag and Anthem seriously. Sports are a pastime. Nothing more.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

Boy, meet world.

You seem offended that some people take the flag and Anthem seriously. Sports are a pastime. Nothing more.
I'm not offended. I simply called triggered pussies what they are. Doesn't impact me or how I will consume entertainment.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

I choose to let tangible factors affect my entertainment consumption, which has nothing to do with conservatism or liberalism. I watch movies, tv shows, and sports if I find them to be entertaining and of a high quality, even if I disagree with someone's political views.

If you think this is about sports, you're an imbecile. Culture is real; calling it "intangible" is just your concession that you're a little pussy...or maybe you just agree with them.
Last edited by USN_Hokie on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:

You sound giddy.

If you think this is about sports, you're an imbecile. Culture is real; calling it "intangible" is just your concession that you're a little pussy.
I don't watch football games to watch the national anthem. I'm sorry if that offends you or other faux patriots.

ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
nolanvt wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote: You sound giddy.

If you think this is about sports, you're an imbecile. Culture is real; calling it "intangible" is just your concession that you're a little pussy.
I don't watch football games to watch the national anthem. I'm sorry if that offends you or other faux patriots.

The DH is communist.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
HokieJoe

Post by HokieJoe »

nolanvt wrote:
HokieJoe wrote:[ today.

I'm not offended. I simply called triggered pussies what they are. Doesn't impact me or how I will consume entertainment.

Boy, meet world.
Attila T Hun

Post by Attila T Hun »

nolanvt wrote:Fantastic twist: the Steelers aren't coming out of the locker room for the national anthem.

Great!!!! Keep the gladiators hidden until time to slay.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
The DH is communist.
Ha! I'd rather Tom Brady not also play safety, and I'd rather major league pitchers face major league caliber hitters.

nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Even Patriots players were kneeling today. Wasn't expecting that.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Not all of them. Hats off to Mr. Villanueva.
Doesn't sound like the Steelers fans were fooled.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote: I don't watch football games to watch the national anthem. I'm sorry if that offends you or other faux patriots.
It's curious that you pretend to not care about things like patriotism, while also seemingly being able to make value judgments of others' patriotism. The truth is that you really don't know what it means.

What have you sacrificed for your country? What have you sacrificed for...anything or anyone? You don't have to answer, we already know: nothing.

Nolan is what happens when households lack male role models.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

Patriots booed by fans...