There goes Trump, being all hyper-conservative...

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
RiverguyVT

There goes Trump, being all hyper-conservative...

Post by RiverguyVT »

So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: There goes Trump, being all hyper-conservative...

Post by awesome guy »

Love it, about time. I like how they categorize homes 9 feet below sea level and ones on barrier islands as "safe and affordable". Yep, nothing screams safe and affordable like a home that has to be evacuated and rebuilt every 30 years.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Gooderly.
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

They also just need to raise the rates on flood insurance.
RiverguyVT

Post by RiverguyVT »

It surprises , me, this position, given that he made his name as a real estate developer. The move is entirely not in his self interest, nor that of his industry. In fact, this will cost him a bundlle if implemented.

Can anyone honestly see O or Hill doing something so contrary to personal interest?
So I put (the dead dog) on her doorstep!
Salute the Marines
Soon we'll have planes that fly 22000 mph
"#PedoPete" = Hunter's name for his dad.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

RiverguyVT wrote:It surprises , me, this position, given that he made his name as a real estate developer. The move is entirely not in his self interest, nor that of his industry. In fact, this will cost him a bundlle if implemented.

Can anyone honestly see O or Hill doing something so contrary to personal interest?
Trump is the real deal in terms of leadership and patriotism. The knuckleheads still think he's like they are.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

RiverguyVT wrote:It surprises , me, this position, given that he made his name as a real estate developer. The move is entirely not in his self interest, nor that of his industry. In fact, this will cost him a bundlle if implemented.

Taking the oath of office?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
HokieJoe
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

Environmentalists should love this idea BTW. We'll see.
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
BigDave
Party: Republican

Post by BigDave »

133743Hokie wrote:They also just need to raise the rates on flood insurance.
People like me, who live in homes that will basically NEVER flood but are technically in a "flood zone" subsidize people who live on the oceanfront and will flood with every hurricane. And that ticks me off.

At least one problem is that we're using these government-drawn flood plain maps, instead of letting a business that knows what they're doing evaluate flood risk. I'm half a mile as the bird flies from water - I'm not going to flood. But my $500/year, along with the $500/year they are getting from all of my neighbors, rebuilds the oceanfront house that floods repeatedly.

They don't need an across-the-board rate increase. Rather, than guy in the $1 million oceanfront house whose house floods every ten years should be paying $100K/year. My house, which is maybe worth $200K, and might flood every thousand years, should cost a lot less to insure.
Posted from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:
People like me, who live in homes that will basically NEVER flood but are technically in a "flood zone" subsidize people who live on the oceanfront and will flood with every hurricane. And that ticks me off.

At least one problem is that we're using these government-drawn flood plain maps, instead of letting a business that knows what they're doing evaluate flood risk. I'm half a mile as the bird flies from water - I'm not going to flood. But my $500/year, along with the $500/year they are getting from all of my neighbors, rebuilds the oceanfront house that floods repeatedly.

They don't need an across-the-board rate increase. Rather, than guy in the $1 million oceanfront house whose house floods every ten years should be paying $100K/year. My house, which is maybe worth $200K, and might flood every thousand years, should cost a lot less to insure.
Several things. If you are in a low risk area the max coverage is $250k structure and $100k contents and costs about $450/year for a primary residence. Any coverage above that you have to go to the private market. If you reduce the coverage amounts (remember, this insurance only covers damage specifically due to flooding) you can reduce your premium.
Last edited by 133743Hokie on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

BigDave wrote:

Low risk zones have their own very low insurance rate structure from high risk zones, which have high premiums.
awesome guy

Post by awesome guy »

Is this one of the few issues we all agree on and no one thinks Trump is being dumb?
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:Is this one of the few issues we all agree on and no one thinks Trump is being dumb?
No. There were folks in the flood insurance thread that supported it.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie

Post by ip_law-hokie »

This is a good piece on the FIP from one of our favorites.

BigDave - you will agree with a lot of this. It supports your theory that the maps are crap.

And not surprisingly, the insurance companies make out like a bandit

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanity ... icanes/amp

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

John Oliver commenting doesn't support any theory about the maps.

Of course the program is underfunded. Of course the premiums are too low. But the maps are constantly revised and reflect topography and drainage paths known at the time. It falls on local jurisdictions to manage their development as it relates to flood plains, SWM, pervious vs. impervious surfaces, etc. It sounds like Houston had issues here but most do it very well.

Keep in mind that much of the development occurred before the 1960s and is grandfathered in. Modern technology and mapping techniques are creating more accurate models which in turn are limiting new development. Its predominantly to older stuff that is problematic.
Major Kong
Alma Mater: Ferrum VT ASU
Party: Independent

Post by Major Kong »

Meh the Pamper Line in trees is still the best way to determine the floodplain. :mrgreen:
I only post using 100% recycled electrons.

HokieFanDC

Post by HokieFanDC »

awesome guy wrote:Is this one of the few issues we all agree on and no one thinks Trump is being dumb?
Yes. Horrible waste of money.