NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Re: NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
Mcl3 Hokie wrote:Did you read the article I posted? It answers your question.
The ESPN NFL article? Yes I did. And it didn't answer the question at all. It addressed the NFLs position on why we (and the players) should respect the anthem, and I agree. But that isn't the issue I'm raising. Again, why is the anthem played at a football game to start with?

it's not about how one should act or behave when the anthem is played at a sporting event, but why it is played at the sporting event at all. Why are sports "special" in this way over other gatherings?
OK- let's take it one by one.. the board could use the traffic. I'm serious- let's go...

1. Why isn't the national anthem played before an age 8-10 girls soccer game in Montana? - your thoughts? let's analyze it, figure it out, then move to the next example.. shouldn't take long to cherry pick them all. Why do you think the Montana girls league doesn't play the anthem before girls 8-10 games?
I'll play your snarky game. It isn't played before an 8-10 year old girls soccer game in Montana because no one cares. You may not like that answer, but that's my opinion. No one gives it a thought; no one cares one way or another; and most would think it was pretty ridiculous, if not stupid, to do so.

So now, you get to try and answer my question -- again. And it isn't "why do we play the national anthem?", and it isn't "why do we do what we do to show respect when the anthem is played?". Those are all understood and accepted almost universally. It's "why do we play the anthem before professional sporting events?". What makes that setting special, unique, the one that warrants this treatment?
Not really. There isn't enough talent to sing it for each soccer game. It's played before pee wee and high school football games though.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.
The very question threatens some on here. I don't know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think the question threatens anyone on here. I just think they are confusing "why we respect the anthem and how we should act when it is played" with my question which is "why is it played at all before sporting events and not other gatherings".
Please list the "gatherings" one by one and let's discuss them/analyze them
Yeah, his argument assumes a false premise that it's only done before professional sporting events.

Hell, the resort my family goes to every year raises the flag and does the national anthem every morning before breakfast. Aka "nazism" according to IP.
You have misrepresented my earlier comments, but the resort thing is kind of weird in my humble opinion. Different strokes.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
The ESPN NFL article? Yes I did. And it didn't answer the question at all. It addressed the NFLs position on why we (and the players) should respect the anthem, and I agree. But that isn't the issue I'm raising. Again, why is the anthem played at a football game to start with?

it's not about how one should act or behave when the anthem is played at a sporting event, but why it is played at the sporting event at all. Why are sports "special" in this way over other gatherings?
OK- let's take it one by one.. the board could use the traffic. I'm serious- let's go...

1. Why isn't the national anthem played before an age 8-10 girls soccer game in Montana? - your thoughts? let's analyze it, figure it out, then move to the next example.. shouldn't take long to cherry pick them all. Why do you think the Montana girls league doesn't play the anthem before girls 8-10 games?
I'll play your snarky game. It isn't played before an 8-10 year old girls soccer game in Montana because no one cares. You may not like that answer, but that's my opinion. No one gives it a thought; no one cares one way or another; and most would think it was pretty ridiculous, if not stupid, to do so.

So now, you get to try and answer my question -- again. And it isn't "why do we play the national anthem?", and it isn't "why do we do what we do to show respect when the anthem is played?". Those are all understood and accepted almost universally. It's "why do we play the anthem before professional sporting events?". What makes that setting special, unique, the one that warrants this treatment?
Not really. There isn't enough talent to sing it for each soccer game. It's played before pee wee and high school football games though.
They could play a recording.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
awesome guy wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

They could play a recording.

Sure
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieJoe
Alma Mater: Virginia Tech
Party: Eclectic

Post by HokieJoe »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:

Quite simply, viewership. Wait, are you doing a Curb Your Enthusiasm shtick?
"I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote: But why does that "unifying ritual" occur only before sporting events? Why not other gatherings? What makes sporting events so special? And if they aren't special, then why then but not at other events? THAT's the question that no one will (or can) answer.

I don't think the question threatens anyone on here. I just think they are confusing "why we respect the anthem and how we should act when it is played" with my question which is "why is it played at all before sporting events and not other gatherings".
Yeah, his argument assumes a false premise that it's only done before professional sporting events.

Hell, the resort my family goes to every year raises the flag and does the national anthem every morning before breakfast. Aka "nazism" according to IP.
You have misrepresented my earlier comments, but the resort thing is kind of weird in my humble opinion. Different strokes.

Yeah. Unless that resort is catered to military or something like that, I would find that bizarre.

Fully vaccinated, still not dead
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
USN_Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
ip_law-hokie wrote:

The place has been around and doing it for over a hundred years. Tradition is a wonderful thing.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote: Yeah. Unless that resort is catered to military or something like that, I would find that bizarre.

That's why you're an unusual.