NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Your Virginia Tech Politics and Religion source
Forum rules
Be Civil. Go Hokies.
USN_Hokie
Party: Draintheswamp

NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Post by USN_Hokie »

CFB Apologist

Re: NFL considering rule change to prevent cord cutting.

Post by CFB Apologist »

Nolan's strong and principled, pro-american stance is - give up and not have the teams on the field for the anthem.. it's just a "song" and why play it at sporting events... and oh, the false narrative that anthem playing started in 2009... that's his "principled" stance here- punt and not play the anthem when the players are out there. Beta. Weak.
nolanvt
Alma Mater: Marshall Univ.

Post by nolanvt »

What's this got to do with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully vaccinated, still not dead
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

It is a legitimate question to ask why the anthem is played before all sporting events. If not for the actions of the past year by Kap, et al, it would be a fairly simple discussion to have with very little acrimony. Today, not so much. But it is a question still worth asking -- why are we beginning sporting events with the national anthem?
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:It is a legitimate question to ask why the anthem is played before all sporting events. If not for the actions of the past year by Kap, et al, it would be a fairly simple discussion to have with very little acrimony. Today, not so much. But it is a question still worth asking -- why are we beginning sporting events with the national anthem?

Normal, proud Americans don't ask that question.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:It is a legitimate question to ask why the anthem is played before all sporting events. If not for the actions of the past year by Kap, et al, it would be a fairly simple discussion to have with very little acrimony. Today, not so much. But it is a question still worth asking -- why are we beginning sporting events with the national anthem?

Not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic.

It was started as an act of patriotism decades ago and has blossomed without rhyme or reason. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but not sure why we are tying that patriotism to sporting events.
USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

WTH?

It's a unifying sentiment. Two teams playing each, but we're all Americans.

The fact that anyone would see the National anthem as a divisive act is just disgusting.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

It was started as an act of patriotism decades ago and has blossomed without rhyme or reason. Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but not sure why we are tying that patriotism to sporting events.

Im being dead serious..if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played? and if not at sports gatherings, when would you play it? every 4 years at inaugurations? the 4th of july?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

USN_Hokie wrote:
WTH?

The fact that anyone would see the National anthem as a divisive act is just disgusting.
Yep, shows something is wrong with them psychologically.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.
HokieHam
Location: Kicking over crayons in a safe space for libruls....

Post by HokieHam »

Ahhh.....the NfL’s Nol......SJW weighs in.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2098 ... nal-anthem
"if you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face-forever."

ip believes you can dial in a 78 year old man who suffers from deminishing mental function
Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

Someone finally saw the NFL's ratings from this weekend. I think they now know hiding in the tunnel isn't an appeasement to the fans. I used to always get to the game early just for the National Anthem. We live in the greatest nation on earth, even with our warts, and we should all be respectful and thankful of that.
HokieHam wrote:Ahhh.....the NfL’s Nol......SJW weighs in.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2098 ... nal-anthem
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

We certainly don't see the anthem played before a lot of other entertainment functions, so it's a perfectly valid question. I would have found it bizarre if they played it right before the Tool concert I went to back in the Spring.

Mcl3 Hokie

Post by Mcl3 Hokie »

For me, the question is what does it harm? I take great pride in our nation, and I don't think 2 minutes of your time is too much to ask for you to reflect on the lottery you've won being in the US.
nolanvt wrote:
We certainly don't see the anthem played before a lot of other entertainment functions, so it's a perfectly valid question. I would have found it bizarre if they played it right before the Tool concert I went to back in the Spring.

USN_Hokie

Post by USN_Hokie »

nolanvt wrote:

Maybe you missed it while you were up getting your wife's boyfriend something to drink.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

USN_Hokie wrote:
WTH?

I didn't say it's divisive. I asked why it's played for sporting events. It appears you think that it's played because it is a unifying sentiment -- Americans competing against each other in sporting competitions. Okay.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:For me, the question is what does it harm? I take great pride in our nation, and I don't think 2 minutes of your time is too much to ask for you to reflect on the lottery you've won being in the US.
nolanvt wrote:

I don't mind it either, as I observe it each time it's played. The Pledge, OTOH, is a bit different. I've only ever heard it played in government settings and view it more as a pledge to the government than the US. I'm more apt not to observe it since I don't have a blind loyalty to the government.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

Im being dead serious..if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played? and if not at sports gatherings, when would you play it? every 4 years at inaugurations? the 4th of july?
So we play it before sporting events to celebrate freedom and american pride. OK. Why are we specifically celebrating those things before sporting events? Why not before all kinds of other gatherings -- theater performances, lectures, whatever? More importantly, don't we look to celebrate those things in our everyday, workaday world? What is the tie between the sporting event and patriotism?

And you're way out of line questioning my patriotism for posing a question that few want to address.
nolanvt

Post by nolanvt »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

So we play it before sporting events to celebrate freedom and american pride. OK. Why are we specifically celebrating those things before sporting events? Why not before all kinds of other gatherings -- theater performances, lectures, whatever? More importantly, don't we look to celebrate those things in our everyday, workaday world? What is the tie between the sporting event and patriotism?

And you're way out of line questioning my patriotism for posing a question that few want to address.
Snowflakes gonna snowflake.

133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

Mcl3 Hokie wrote:For me, the question is what does it harm? I take great pride in our nation, and I don't think 2 minutes of your time is too much to ask for you to reflect on the lottery you've won being in the US.
nolanvt wrote:

I don't see the harm in it either. Just curious as to why it is so strongly tied to sporting events, when it is usually affiliated with patriotic activities and functions.
ip_law-hokie
Alma Mater: Manchester

Post by ip_law-hokie »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I think it's a valid question and applaud you for bringing it to light in the face of criticism.

With their Cap’n and Chief Intelligence Officer having deserted them, River, Ham and Joe valiantly continue their whataboutismistic last stand of the DJT apology tour.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I'm not questioning your patriotism, I'm asking out loud why the national song annoys you and you question why its being played. If you equate being annoyed with the national song to being unpatriotic, that's on you.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

ip_law-hokie wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I think it's a valid question and applaud you for bringing it to light in the face of criticism.

I'm shocked our national anthem annoys you too.. shocked.
CFB Apologist

Post by CFB Apologist »

nolanvt wrote:
nolanvt wrote:

I don't mind it either, as I observe it each time it's played. The Pledge, OTOH, is a bit different. I've only ever heard it played in government settings and view it more as a pledge to the government than the US. I'm more apt not to observe it since I don't have a blind loyalty to the government.

Be sure to recite this if you ever apply for a clearance. They will love it, and I'm sure it won't raise any red flags.
133743Hokie

Post by 133743Hokie »

CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

I'm not questioning your patriotism, I'm asking out loud why the national song annoys you and you question why its being played. If you equate being annoyed with the national song to being unpatriotic, that's on you.
You said "if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played?" That's pretty clear you're questioning my patriotism.

I never said it annoys me -- it doesn't. Like most people I stand and remove my hat, am quiet, all the right things. I've asked a legit question and you want to go off on a tangent. Why is it played before sporting events but not at most any other gathering or event?
awesome guy
Party: After 10

Post by awesome guy »

133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:
133743Hokie wrote:
CFB Apologist wrote:

You said "if playing a 2 minute national song at a public gathering to celebrate freedom and american pride annoys you, and you look for reasons not to play it, that is not normal. Do you sit when it is played?" That's pretty clear you're questioning my patriotism.

I never said it annoys me -- it doesn't. Like most people I stand and remove my hat, am quiet, all the right things. I've asked a legit question and you want to go off on a tangent. Why is it played before sporting events but not at most any other gathering or event?
Because it's one commonality across 60+k people. It sets a tone of civility and respect while honoring our nation and it's people. Only crazy haters see issue with this.
Unvaccinated,. mask free, and still alive.